Rumor: Pens and Canucks talking trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
The issue was that JR traded Reaves, Cole, Gustavsson, a 1st and 3rd for Brassard a year before that, after paying a 1st and Sundqvist for Reaves and a 2nd about 6 months before that.

It's pretty much the definition of buy high, sell low.

I realize that, but that’s not the type of trades he’ll be making in Vancouver, high picks/prospects for win now pieces. Those trades were made to try to help the Penguins win now and in hindsight they didn’t work out. But at the end of the day he did manage to acquire a good young player in Jared McCann who could still be in the Penguins organization if your current GM didn’t choose to move him prior to the expansion draft.

One thing JR does seem to be good at is knowing when to cut bait and recoup some value out of player. Benning was the king of doubling down on his many mistakes in Vancouver.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I don't see these two teams being good trade partners.

We would definitely be interested in Pettersson but he'll be a 3rd pair guy in Vancouver so I'm not sure how much we're willing to give up.

Kapanen definitely makes sense under JR but wouldn't the Pens want a forward in return?

Only other thing I can think of is the Pens looking at Myers if they think Letang is leaving, not that he's an actual replacement but he's something lol.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Blueger, ZAR and Kap are probably his main targets.

Prospect wise, I remember JR being hesitant to move Poulin and Legare. So he may look into them aswell.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
So basically the Canucks want to acquire a young core player every team wants without giving up any top picks while dumping a bad contract in the same trade. Seems reasonable.
How did you develop this obnoxious and completely wrong take from this thread? Because Canucks fans aren't interested in the more expensive, less productive player in exchange for our top offensive producing forward.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
JR got a 1st, promising young D and middle 6 c you wanna trade for your boy Jordan Staal again?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't see these two teams being good trade partners.

We would definitely be interested in Pettersson but he'll be a 3rd pair guy in Vancouver so I'm not sure how much we're willing to give up.

Kapanen definitely makes sense under JR but wouldn't the Pens want a forward in return?

Only other thing I can think of is the Pens looking at Myers if they think Letang is leaving, not that he's an actual replacement but he's something lol.

Yeah, they would definitely want a forward back for Kapanen. The issue with the Canucks is that they have no one in that reasonable middle ground between Miller/Boeser/Garland and the next tier down.

I don't think Pettersson makes a lot of sense just because he's pretty expensive. He's been great this year, but I don't see how the Canucks can rationalize paying that much to their LD. The Penguins are arguably paying too much for Dumoulin, Matheson and Pettersson combined, and those three combined make less than Hughes and OEL alone.

How did you develop this obnoxious and completely wrong take from this thread? Because Canucks fans aren't interested in the more expensive, less productive player in exchange for our top offensive producing forward.

No, it was because of this:

1. Canucks will not be trading any early round draft picks. Late picks are available
2. Canucks looking to acquire speed
3. Canucks looking to acquire a player that is similar age of the core and can grow with the core
( 21-26 yrs old)
4. Canucks against the cap so it would have to be dollar in dollar out trade

Buckle up. JR loves his retreads.

No no, you're wrong. JR's entire track record doesn't matter because he's on a new team, so his decades of work as GMs on other teams didn't happen :laugh:

How many times has JR acquired Matt Cullen or Ron Hainsey at this point? Hell, JR hired Matt Cullen as a coach to the Penguins after he retired :laugh:

Reactions: RSPens

RSPens

May 25, 2015
The same Brassard that Florida traded shortly after with a 6th for a 3rd? And the same Riley Sheahan that the Panthers let walk at the end of the season? Let’s not pretend these guys had high value. McCann for a 2nd, 3rd and 4th isn’t bad value at all.
Okay...if you want to give JR credit, you need to take a look at the whole picture first. Why did JR trade for McCann and Bjugstad? He was trying to get a 3rd line centre. The same 3rd line centre that he had traded for Brassard for and signed Sheahan for. Now why was JR looking for a 3rd line C? Because he traded Sutter for Bonino (great move), but then he let Bonino walk. JR's modus operandi is to chase certain players, throw stuff against the wall and then try to fix any mistakes by throwing stuff against the wall again. So yeah, at least he tries to fix his mistakes, but a lot of the time he just ends up digging a bigger hole. For example, he gave JMFJ a contract that no other GM would have even considered and when the defense faltered he doubled down and got Gudbranson. Now don't get me wrong, in a limited 3rd pair role Gudbranson is fine, but it was a move that didn't end up helping the team.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
As a divisional rival of the Canucks, please tell me more

I'm probably exaggerating but Rutherford is not gun-shy about trading for guys he likes and he has a history of making big offers for Zucker. He tends to zero in on specific players that it's publicly known he's interested in and overpay for them. Kessel and Brassard are two other examples, as well as Jordan Staal way back when.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
2019: Canucks acquire Miller from Tampa Bay for Mazanec, a 1st and 2nd
2020: Penguins acquire Kapanen from Toronto for a 1st and Hallander
2021: Miller is worth Kapanen, a prospect, a 1st and a 2nd

Only on HFBoards :laugh:

I understand your point, but let's get 1 thing straight...JT Miller has been a great player since joining the Canucks, basically a PPG. If he was to get dealt he would get a decent return. Could I see Pit being interested in JT, of course any playoff team or hopeful playoff team would be.

But, Canucks do NOT need to trade him, if they do they better get something good back and not future picks that will be a mid to late 1st round pick. Canucks need to compete sooner than later so we want a near ready young NHL piece coming back plus more...what the deal would be is an UNKNOWN until if/when it happens.

The Pens don't have too much of interest as a Canuck fan personally, maybe Kapanen with his speed. Maybe Marino but that guy has term and I have no clue if he is much of an upgrade on what we got already. Canucks should be leery of taking on players with lots of term left in my opinion. Cap situation is not the best, don't need more bad contracts to screw us again...

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I understand your point, but let's get 1 thing straight...JT Miller has been a great player since joining the Canucks, basically a PPG. If he was to get dealt he would get a decent return. Could I see Pit being interested in JT, of course any playoff team or hopeful playoff team would be.

But, Canucks do NOT need to trade him, if they do they better get something good back and not future picks that will be a mid to late 1st round pick. Canucks need to compete sooner than later so we want a near ready young NHL piece coming back plus more...what the deal would be is an UNKNOWN until if/when it happens.

The Pens don't have too much of interest as a Canuck fan personally, maybe Kapanen with his speed. Maybe Marino but that guy has term and I have no clue if he is much of an upgrade on what we got already. Canucks should be leery of taking on players with lots of term left in my opinion. Cap situation is not the best, don't need more bad contracts to screw us again...

I'd say he's untouchable, purely based on the fact we are one Letang injury away from Chad Ruhwedel being the #1RD if we trade Marino.

Reactions: Canuck86

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
I have to laugh at some Pens fans just shitting all over Rutherford...last I checked he was the GM of your team that helped assemble 2 Stanley Cup winning teams back to back!!!

Any Canuck fan would tell you they would trade ANYTHING for the Canucks to win ONE Stanley Cup...cause we have won 0!!

The whining is just that...whining about a guy who brought 2 Cups to your city, sure he had some great pieces on the team but prior to him arriving how many Cups did you win with that group...1, last i checked 2 is better than 1 no!?

Reactions: Night Shift

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Id say Boeser and Pearson are the most likely to be moved by Rutherford.

Boeser has a high qualifying offer coming up next year and his lack of foot speed is something Rutherford isnt too fond of in a player.

Whether or not Pens have interest, we shall see.

and no it wont be for Zucker unless +++

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Just going to say it again because Nucks fans seem to miss it.

Marino is the ONLY regular NHL level RD that the Pens have signed currently for next year.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Damn it's pretty amazing that the Canucks have been so bad for years if this is how valuable their players are :laugh:

If you seriously think Miller is worth that, there is no reasonable discussion to be had here.
Stick to the Pens man you’re clueless about the Canucks :laugh:

IF you’ve seen a Canucks game in the past 5 year which from your post it looks like you’ve seen maybe a period, you’d realize that a team can still have valuable stars but the rest of the team sucks. JT Miller would be the 3rd best forward on your roster.
JT Miller has more playoff points (17) in the last 3 seasons than Crosby and Malkin combined (15)

so Try again.

Reactions: Canucks LB

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Stick to the Pens man you’re clueless about the Canucks :laugh:

IF you’ve seen a Canucks game in the past 5 year which from your post it looks like you’ve seen maybe a period, you’d realize that a team can still have valuable stars but the rest of the team sucks. JT Miller would be the 3rd best forward on your roster.
JT Miller has more playoff points (17) in the last 3 seasons than Crosby and Malkin combined (15)

so Try again.

Yes, I know Miller is good. I'm saying that the pricetag that poster was putting on Miller is just asininely stupid. It's more valuable than pretty much any trade that has happened in recent memory.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
I have to laugh at some Pens fans just shitting all over Rutherford...last I checked he was the GM of your team that helped assemble 2 Stanley Cup winning teams back to back!!!

Any Canuck fan would tell you they would trade ANYTHING for the Canucks to win ONE Stanley Cup...cause we have won 0!!

The whining is just that...whining about a guy who brought 2 Cups to your city, sure he had some great pieces on the team but prior to him arriving how many Cups did you win with that group...1, last i checked 2 is better than 1 no!?
It's not shitting on JR it is us trying to temper the Canucks fans enthusiasm. We all know that JR parachuted into the GM position of a great team, made a couple minor moves, plus getting Kessel and won 2 cups. Could the Pens have won those cups without JR? Who knows, but what we do know is that after winning, he let the 3C walk, then spent basically the entire farm trying to replace him, then Tom Wilson got in his head and he chased anything he could to try to combat that. He can make some great moves, but even one of his best trades was a complete fluke. JR had no clue that Marino was going to be as good as he is. He just saw a glutton of prospect D in Edmonton and he took the one the team was willing to lose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad