Rumor: Pens and Canucks talking trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Tweet was from the weekend before it even leaked that the Canucks were looking at poaching Patrick Allvin to join Rutherford in the front office so it seems Blake Price has some credible sources.

Price of course used to be a media member for TSN.

What can a possible Pens and Canucks trade look like?

Some tidbits that Rutherford mentioned in his presser yesterday in relation to trades.

1. Canucks will not be trading any early round draft picks. Late picks are available
2. Canucks looking to acquire speed
3. Canucks looking to acquire a player that is similar age of the core and can grow with the core
( 21-26 yrs old)
4. Canucks against the cap so it would have to be dollar in dollar out trade

So they want to get a speedy, young, cost affective and not give anything of value up?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So you think he will run the Canucks the same way he ran the win no Penguins that had Crosby and Malkin?

that's delusional.

The guy has 3 cups and is in the hall of fame, he has a brilliant hockey mind,

he is capable of getting to the same destination by taking a different path.

No, I think Jim Rutherford is incredibly impatient and has shown a massive track record of hemorrhaging assets and overpaying for players.

You're arguing with fans who saw Jim Rutherford's work far more than you have. Jim Rutherford is who he is. He's an impatient gambler.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Absolutely not.

Kapanen+ for Miller is way more likely than the Penguins trading both Marino and Kapanen in a trade.

I dont follow Pens much? what is their Right Side D look like and RD prospects?

RD is Canucks biggest need. Marino would fit the need. is he untouchable?

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
So they want to get a speedy, young, cost affective and not give anything of value up?

where does it say they wont give anything of Value?

To me, everyone can be available for the right return. Everyone except Hughes Petterrsson Demko

That means:

Boeser
Miller
Horvat

I'd say those are pretty valuable chips wouldnt you?

RSPens

May 25, 2015
There are 4 players that I think Rutherford is a) interested in and b) thinks he can actually trade for from Pitt. Those players (I'm sorry nucks fans, you probably won't like any of them much) I believe are Kapenen, Zucker, Petterson and Matheson.

Notice I have left Marino out of that list. The reason is because JR knows that the Pens have Letang, Marino and pretty much nothing else on their right side. Kapp is a player that JR likes, is in the right age group and has speed. Personally as a Pens fan, I am not ready to give up on him yet. Zucker is a guy JR likes, but the cap hit is an issue and his age. Matheson is a guy JR likes, but JR knows that no one around the Canucks organization would be interested. So Petterson is the guy he will likely be focused on, but as a Pens fan, they would be dumb to move him now, as he has been the best LD for them this season (yes he has been better than Dumo).

So any trade proposals between the teams should be focused on Marcus.

However the first trade won't come until the team falters slightly under Budreau or near the end of January. JR does like to make his mark, but he loves the mid to late January trades.

Reactions: Szechwan and Trade

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I dont follow Pens much? what is their Right Side D look like and RD prospects?

RD is Canucks biggest need. Marino would fit the need. is he untouchable?

Their 3rd pair RD is Chad Ruhwedel and their best RD prospect is Will Reilly. They very much can't afford to trade Marino, especially with Letang not being under contract beyond this year.

I keep joking about it in other threads, but Kapanen to Vancouver for one of their wingers (presumably a LWer) is really the only deal here that makes sense.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
It'll be something around Miller and probably Zucker. Maybe Zucker+one of the Pens' recently drafted forward prospects?

It will most certainly not. Miller is 18th in league scoring, 16th overall in the league since he became a Canuck. At 28 he is signed for this year and next for LESS than Zucker. This is an impact player on a great contract with versatility that every contender will be bidding on if he's available. I'm not sure a cap dump and any of the Penguins prospects would do it as their pool looks about as thin as it gets.

Reactions: bh53

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
No, I think Jim Rutherford is incredibly impatient and has shown a massive track record of hemorrhaging assets and overpaying for players.

You're arguing with fans who saw Jim Rutherford's work far more than you have. Jim Rutherford is who he is. He's an impatient gambler.

I think Rutherford is a gunslinger in a sense that he sees a problem, he will fix it.

but I dont think he hemorrhage assets in Vancouver like he did in Pittsburgh because of the different type of competitive window that each team was and is in.

Like I said, he already publicly stated yesterday,

"Canucks arent trading early draft picks, its not the cycle we are in" He also said he wants young players that will grow with the core.

These are completely different marching orders that he shown in Pitt.

This might also be a moot point, as everyone in Vancouver suspects there will be a new GM by January and Rutherford will focus on Hockey Ops.

Reactions: David71 and Trade

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm going to keep shitposting "Kapanen to Vancouver" until it happens :laugh:

Actually, that's who I thought of immediately.

Kapanen's that right age Vancouver is looking for, plus Sullivan seems to not like him so he's probably the most likely piece available that's worth something.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Their 3rd pair RD is Chad Ruhwedel and their best RD prospect is Will Reilly. They very much can't afford to trade Marino, especially with Letang not being under contract beyond this year.

I keep joking about it in other threads, but Kapanen to Vancouver for one of their wingers (presumably a LWer) is really the only deal here that makes sense.

but why would that make sense for Vancouver?

They have plenty of wingers.

Miller
Garland
Hoglander
Podkolzin
Dickenson
Pearson

Not saying Kapanen wouldnt be an upgrade on some of those players, I just dont think the Canucks are gonna waste their bullets just to get another winger in return.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Actually, that's who I thought of immediately.

Kapanen's that right age Vancouver is looking for, plus Sullivan seems to not like him so he's probably the most likely piece available that's worth something.

That plus it's widely established that JR loves Kapanen too. The issue I see from the Penguins POV is that Miller is way more valuable than Kapanen but the Canucks don't have anyone less valuable that makes any sense in a Kapanen to Vancouver trade.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
I think Rutherford is a gunslinger in a sense that he sees a problem, he will fix it.

but I dont think he hemorrhage assets in Vancouver like he did in Pittsburgh because of the different type of competitive window that each team was and is in.

Like I said, he already publicly stated yesterday,

"Canucks arent trading early draft picks, its not the cycle we are in" He also said he wants young players that will grow with the core.

These are completely different marching orders that he shown in Pitt.

This might also be a moot point, as everyone in Vancouver suspects there will be a new GM by January and Rutherford will focus on Hockey Ops.

You could be right...but everything else about JR's career tells me otherwise. In fact the theory going around the Pens boards is that JR quit because he was being asked to step back a bit and let someone else have more control. Of course only time will tell, but in his short time in Pitt he never really trained an AGM to eventually take his place. Both potential guys ended up leaving.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
but why would that make sense for Vancouver?

They have plenty of wingers.

Miller
Garland
Hoglander
Podkolzin
Dickenson
Pearson

Not saying Kapanen wouldnt be an upgrade on some of those players, I just dont think the Canucks are gonna waste their bullets just to get another winger in return.

Because you save money, get faster and get younger while not spending any sort of draft picks, which hits all 4 points you mentioned in the OP.

The issue is how you finish the trade, because Miller is way more valuable than Kapanen (even with JR's crazy valuation of him).

Sutter, Pearson and 2023 4th for Marino and 2022 2nd

How generous of you :laugh:

Reactions: RSPens

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Because you save money, get faster and get younger while not spending any sort of draft picks, which hits all 4 points you mentioned in the OP.

The issue is how you finish the trade, because Miller is way more valuable than Kapanen (even with JR's crazy valuation of him).

How generous of you :laugh:

Youre suggesting Miller for Kapanen?

It would have to be something like

Kapanen 1st, 2nd, prospect

for

JT Miller

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Youre suggesting Miller for Kapanen?

It would have to be something like

Kapanen 1st, 2nd, prospect

for

JT Miller

Damn it's pretty amazing that the Canucks have been so bad for years if this is how valuable their players are :laugh:

If you seriously think Miller is worth that, there is no reasonable discussion to be had here.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Of course you would because Pearson sucks ass.

This thread has been one of the most choosing beggars threads I've seen on HFBoards :laugh:

beggars? ahah were the ones saying we dont want Kapanen. Its like youre begging Canucks to take him.

Marino is who would fit for what the Canucks need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad