Confirmed with Link: Pascal Vincent Named Laval Rocket Head Coach

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Don't like what transpired after him losing his job with the CBJ. But we'll see, we haven't heard his version of things; at least I haven't.
Do you really care what happened at that garbage assed franchise.
Congrats Pascal you've won coach of the biggest shitshow in the NHL award for 2023-2024 you are lucky because it could have gone to Babcock. :sarcasm:
Columbus had far greater problems than Pascal Vincent.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Don't like what transpired after him losing his job with the CBJ. But we'll see, we haven't heard his version of things; at least I haven't.
There is pressure to win at NHL level vs there’s pressure to grow prospects into pros at AHL level.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Columbus as an organization was real clown shoes for most of his tenure there, I don't know how much blame he should be getting for that one. In any case, he's going to be in a completely different role with us.

Reactions: LaP and Andrei79

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Michael Therrien grew and learned. Twice.
He did, somewhat. He’d probably have been an ok coach except his system was too simple and the success he got with it while other teams were learning inflated his ego. He’d have been effective if he weren’t egotistical and bitter.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This doesn't fill me with confidence in the process.

No, me either. Seems to be the blind spot of the new regime.

Suzuki was also on the 4th line wing as a rookie. Earn your ice time bro. It should be easy on a garbage team.

Jiricek can’t defend. No surprise there with the limited time.

Kent Johnson just isn’t that good.

Again, sounds like a dogshit organization trying to blame the guy that didn’t expect to be the coach.

Sounds exactly like what Therrien would do.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
We can rag on JF Houle because he wasn't perfect. But one thing we can say is that he developed the players enough that when they got called up, it was seamless. To different degrees of course because the talent level from player to player is different. But he prepared them pretty well.
Vey Low Bar Seams :sarcasm:
If we actually had a good team would the call ups look as seamless.
Aside from Struble last year who was obviously already a developed asset I didn't think too much of our call ups.
You could maybe argue Roy but even he was playing shit when he got the nod and his stats here were a bit overstated.
The Stat Lines are actually pretty horrendous. Only Tobie and maybe Reinbacher were remark worthy defensively.
Logan had a decent season points wise but he really needs to get his 5v5 game on the plus side.

Reactions: le_sean

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
giphy.gif

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Sounds exactly like what Therrien would do.
The problem with Therrien wasn’t lack of icetime with young players. It’s his shitty communication skills and old school tough love approach. So of course if you have a young kid on the 4th line and you don’t explain to him why or what he can do to get more ice time, then that’s an issue.

Slafkovsky was playing on the 3rd line with shitty linemates, no PP time. Yet the team talked to him and worked with him in practice. That’s the right way.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The problem with Therrien wasn’t lack of icetime with young players. It’s his shitty communication skills and old school tough love approach. So of course if you have a young kid on the 4th line and you don’t explain to him why or what he can do to get more ice time, then that’s an issue.

Slafkovsky was playing on the 3rd line with shitty linemates, no PP time. Yet the team talked to him and worked with him in practice. That’s the right way.

And judging by how furious the young players are in Columbus under his coaching, I'd say he didn't do a great job communicating with them.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
And judging by how furious the young players are in Columbus under his coaching, I'd say he didn't do a great job communicating with them.
Well RIP to the organization then. Too bad Gorton and Hughes didn’t do their due diligence.

• Haha
Reactions: Addik04

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I don't really like this.

On the other hand... Sometimes, people react to the kind of mandate they're given. As long as he has the appropriate mandate, it won't be terrible.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
What were the negatives about Vincent before being named head coach ?

If I'm to put things into perspective, Columbus was a shit show. He was named just before the season started. The team was brutal. Management clearly wanted to be competitive as they wouldnt have named Babcock otherwise. The locker room was divided, so who knows why he leaned on veterans. For some coaches, it's what management wants or it's a way not to lose the locker room. Coaching in the NHL is also a different ball game that some aren't made for, at least not as rookies.

What's surprising is that he was appreciated in Columbus before the promotion. Described as having good relationships with players. Was praised for his decision to try Laine at center.

He had an exceptional reputation in Winnipeg, at team that has always focused on its AHL team. Management was high on him. The recent cup winning coach had high praise, especially regarding how ready the players were.

I'm hoping his time in Columbus was an outlier and Im also trying to filter some of the noise and complaints from around here as I've read some brutal takes regarding coaching throughout the years.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Do you really care what happened at that garbage assed franchise.
Congrats Pascal you've won coach of the biggest shitshow in the NHL award for 2023-2024 you are lucky because it could have gone to Babcock. :sarcasm:
Columbus had far greater problems than Pascal Vincent.
The fact that Colombus had far greater problems than the head coach doesn't mean that he was not part of the problem though.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
What were the negatives about Vincent before being named head coach ?

If I'm to put things into perspective, Columbus was a shit show. He was named just before the season started. The team was brutal. Management clearly wanted to be competitive as they wouldnt have named Babcock otherwise. The locker room was divided, so who knows why he leaned on veterans. For some coaches, it's what management wants or it's a way not to lose the locker room. Coaching in the NHL is also a different ball game that some aren't made for, at least not as rookies.

What's surprising is that he was appreciated in Columbus before the promotion. Described as having good relationships with players. Was praised for his decision to try Laine at center.

He had an exceptional reputation in Winnipeg, at team that has always focused on its AHL team. Management was high on him. The recent cup winning coach had high praise, especially regarding how ready the players were.

I'm hoping his time in Columbus was an outlier and Im also trying to filter some of the noise and complaints from around here as I've read some brutal takes regarding coaching throughout the years.

I think the disappointment about other candidates not being chosen is exacerbating reactions towards Vincent (including mine).

We were so close to getting a new gen coach in Laval, but it is what it is.

I hope Vincent does well. No reason the team shouldn't make the playoffs if healthy and the kids should take steps forward.

Key indicators on whether he's better than Houle are game readiness and defensive structure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad