Speculation: The remaining RFAs (big-ticket)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I don't think swayman gets 8 years. He is obviously a great goalie but I just don't think he has the track record of the elite elite elite guys who are also UFA who have gotten those deals. But that $7Mish AAV x 5 sounds about right.

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
Are there any RFAs remaining in the 2nd round pick comp range?
Of the players that are in that "fair value" range:

Dawson Mercer - NJD
Cole Perfetti - WPG

I don't think they sign that or that it would be successful as their current team can match easily.

One could "overpay" any player (which would entice them to sign the offer sheet) to get to that compensation range:

Peyton Krebs - BUF
Juuso Parssinen - NSH
Jonatan Berggren - DET
Philip Tomasino - NSH
Victor Soderstrom - UTA
Nick Robertson - TOR
Arthur Kaliyev - LAK
Ilya Solovyov - CGY

I don't think you would need to for some of these players like Kaliyev, Robertson, Tomasino, or Soderstrom as they might very well sign in the "no compensation" range ($1,511,701) just to get a better opportunity and the team might not even match.

Kaliyev, Robertson, Tomasino, and Berggren would have to go to a team that has a spot in their top 9 otherwise it would be pointless.

A "dual offer sheet" on the two Nashville players could be an interesting strategy as they have enough cap space to match 1 but might not be able to do both as the RyJo situation isn't clear cut at this point. Example: Parssinen 1 x $4,580,917 and Tomasino 1 x $1,511,701.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinslack

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
It's 2/3rds of 7 million, divided by 2 billion.

Works out to about 0.2 cents per year, dropping down to only about 0.2 cents per year if he can play 15 years or so of the initial term.

Plus, I'm not sure how the CBA handles extinction level events like asteroid impacts, but I suspect there would be some cap compliant wiggle room to get out of the full 2 billion year buyout term.

might just be better to put him on LTIR though, which I assume would apply for players that have been dead for millions of years

Regadless, I wouldn't let it sway your decision. Get'r done.
Well, to be fair the OP said 7 times 1 billion not 7 for 1 billion.

Reactions: dumbdick

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
My guess is Stevie Y locks Seider up long term and Bridge deals Raymond. Something like 8.5x8m for Seider and 2-3 at 4.5-5.25m for Raymond. He'll want the cap space to cram as many overpriced vets into the lineup
Won’t raymond be asking for at least Zegras money on a bridge? 5.5 minimum imo

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
If i'm Raymond's agent i hang up immediately on that offer. After the season he just had he's worth a lot more right now, bridge deal or not imo.
Raymond is gonna be around $7-$7.5 for 4-5 years. Heard as much as $7.85. A contract that will allow him to cash in with an 8 year deal in his last RFA year.

Seider is gonna come in under $9m in all likelihood. I’d be shocked if it’s not for the full 8 years. Had heard earlier this summer it would probably have to be closer to $9.5 but other deals may have saved DET a little money here.

The thing is, Yzerman hates 7-8 year deals but with Seider he’s much more open to it, while Seider is the one looking for a 4-5 year deal, as he wants to cash in again, later down the line.

It’s really gonna come down to choice for the players. None of the RFA deals for forwards this summer, have moved the needle any. So Jarvis and Raymond continue waiting for the other to make a decision but Detroit has all of their options on the table. It really is up to the players depending on the term they want.

As for Berggren, someone told me, don’t be surprised if he’s flipped in a deal for Victor Soderstrom, along with one of Detroit’s other D prospects. I can only see that happening if Justin Holl is moved. I would expect it would be someone like Tuomisto or Anton Johansson. If it’s Albert Johansson, I’d expect another forward prospect coming back to Detroit. Someone like Fedotov, who’s playing in the KHL.

It’s something to keep an eye on anyway. First time I’ve heard an actual team with Berggren, but it’s not the first time I’ve heard Soderstrom connected to Detroit this summer. The thing is, it would likely be to play long term with Edvinsson, which would then take them out of the running for any of the veterans who get moved this season. So they’d have to really like Soderstrom imo. He is ready to play a full NHL season though and his skill set is what you’d want to play with Edvinsson. Personally I like Albert Johansson more, because of his quickness, and he can play the right side. Even though I’d suspect he ends up playing with Seider long term, not Edvinsson.

As of right now, Petry is who’s going to get those minutes. So they have to be looking for someone. Just can’t see him being able to log that many minutes this year. Whether they’d go with another rookie? Guess it depends how ready they think he is. The upside would be intriguing. That’s for sure.

Reactions: TKB

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
A contender offer sheeting Seider would be too funny. It would take 4 1st’s and Detroit would likely just match though. Plus not many contenders have the cap space

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
My guess is Stevie Y locks Seider up long term and Bridge deals Raymond. Something like 8.5x8m for Seider and 2-3 at 4.5-5.25m for Raymond. He'll want the cap space to cram as many overpriced vets into the lineup
4.5M for a 22 year old that just scored 72 points is insulting. Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Just biding time until bionics become common place and careers only end because of death

I dunno, at that term, we might have to see if the cap gets grandfathered in, or if there's a cap penalty for moving MacKinnon's microchip into a 21 year old clone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad