Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 28 56.0%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 12.0%

• Total voters

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
That's an interesting one. I like Larsson and his potential fit here. I am not a huge Liljegren fan and I don't like the Kampf deal.

...even with all of this, I am not sure I do this one. You have to think about trajectory, is Larsson aging and getting worse while Liljegren is still growing am improving? Who replaces the Kampf minutes this year?

I have always been a believer that the Kampf contract is moveable and the time for that would be when we have someone ready to take his ten 4LC and PK minutes a night. Minten? Quillan? Dewar to C and Steeves or Grebyonkin getting those minutes? I would like to see all of these auditioned before dumping Kampf.

...I think. As I said this is a trade to consider. Why does Seattle do it? Younger Liljegren and a pick for UFA Larsson ai guess.
I wouldn't say aging, he's turning 32 in November, has been a consistent 21-23 minute a night defenseman while being one of the most consistent defensive defenceman in the game. Unfortunately Liljegren hasn't taken that next step in showing he can play top 4 minutes in the NHL. Adding Larsson elimates any worry about top 4. Losing Kampf isn't a concern of mine. He's not a capable 3rd line center and being extremely overpaid for a 4th line center when we have plenty of options for that position as you mentioned. Yes Larsson is a UFA at seasons end which gives you plenty of options now. You can either resign him or you just freed up 5.5 million next year to look at the free agent market that has some solid defensemen.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The MGT betted and thought these horses can win but turns out they are all Beta Chokers instead of True Alphas.

No offense, but this is a really dumb statement imo.

Do you have any idea how many players were labelled playoff underperformers until they weren’t anymore? The players absolutely own their fair share of what’s transpired here, no question, but it’s a team game with a ton of factors that contribute to what players are able to achieve.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Well instead of OEL, we could sign Z for 5mil which is 1.5mil more than OEL. Can also sign Matt Roy at 5.75mil. Thats 7.25mil from the 22mil. Marchessault at 5.5mil. The remaining 9.25mil could be Stamkos or Lindholm or Gunztel.

Defense will be much better.
Forwards is a bit weaker but overall the team will be more balance.
Esp if Stammer is signed, as PP would be crazy for have Stammer and AM on both wings.

OUT:
Marner
Nylander
OEL

IN:
Guentzel/Lindholm/Stamkos
Roy
Zadorov

I don't think that makes us better, and that's two Dmen in so add Benoit, Liljegren, or Hakanpaa to the list of OUT.

I asked what you would have done and you told me. Thanks. I don't agree it makes us better now.

I guess we would have got something back in those two trades (MM and WN) so that gets factored in too. If it was players and not picks or prospects it would have eaten some of that cap space.

I wouldn't say aging, he's turning 32 in November, has been a consistent 21-23 minute a night defenseman while being one of the most consistent defensive defenceman in the game. Unfortunately Liljegren hasn't taken that next step in showing he can play top 4 minutes in the NHL. Adding Larsson elimates any worry about top 4. Losing Kampf isn't a concern of mine. He's not a capable 3rd line center and being extremely overpaid for a 4th line center when we have plenty of options for that position as you mentioned. Yes Larsson is a UFA at seasons end which gives you plenty of options now. You can either resign him or you just freed up 5.5 million next year to look at the free agent market that has some solid defensemen.

I tend to agree, players don't look like they are aging until they do. Larsson's game will probably age pretty well though.

Then you start to wonder, would Seattle do this? They could get Kampf for very little I imagine. So is Larsson, who they feel they can resign only worth Liljegren for tow years and a 2nd?

Reactions: Fogelhund

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Well instead of OEL, we could sign Z for 5mil which is 1.5mil more than OEL. Can also sign Matt Roy at 5.75mil. Thats 7.25mil from the 22mil. Marchessault at 5.5mil. The remaining 9.25mil could be Stamkos or Lindholm or Gunztel.

Esp if Stammer is signed, as PP would be crazy for have Stammer and AM on both wings.

We were in on both Z and Roy. Neither one signed for deals that I’d say we couldn’t have accommodated. They simply chose to go elsewhere.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I wonder what Winnipeg is going to do with Perfetti. Maybe Brad can pull something off there. Around Robertson and him.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

This guy thinks hes playing NHL24.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
OUT:
Marner
Nylander
OEL

IN:
Roy
Zadorov

I don't think that makes us better, and that's two Dmen in so add Benoit, Liljegren, or Hakanpaa to the list of OUT.

I asked what you would have done and you told me. Thanks. I don't agree it makes us better now.

I guess we would have got something back in those two trades (MM and WN) so that gets factored in too. If it was players and not picks or prospects it would have eaten some of that cap space.

I tend to agree, players don't look like they are aging until they do. Larsson's game will probably age pretty well though.

Then you start to wonder, would Seattle do this? They could get Kampf for very little I imagine. So is Larsson, who they feel they can resign only worth Liljegren for tow years and a 2nd?
Well you have to look at it from Seattle's point of view. They just locked up Montour to be their long term top pairing rhd. They don't really have much cap space and have multiple players to sign next off season. I'm not sure they're going to want to sign Larsson to a long term extension, with Kampf and Liljegren signed for the next 2 years, it gives you some cap certainty while filling 2 positions for the price of 1

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Well you have to look at it from Seattle's point of view. They just locked up Montour to be their long term top pairing rhd. They don't really have much cap space and have multiple players to sign next off season. I'm not sure they're going to want to sign Larsson to a long term extension, with Kampf and Liljegren signed for the next 2 years, it gives you some cap certainty while filling 2 positions for the price of 1
Fair. Cap certainty does not equal cap flexibility if you are paying Kampf $2.4M. I guess it depends on how much Larsson wants. That's $5.6 for Liljegren+ Kampf and Lilly is UFA after next season.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
OUT:
Marner
Nylander
OEL

IN:
Roy
Zadorov

You forgot Marchessault

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
No offense, but this is a really dumb statement imo.

Do you have any idea how many players were labelled playoff underperformers until they weren’t anymore? The players absolutely own their fair share of what’s transpired here, no question, but it’s a team game with a ton of factors that contribute to what players are able to achieve.
Until they prove they can lead and win. They are choking hard in playoffs.

What’s fascinated about Sports is any players can change the narrative with one shift, game, season…but until said players do it, they are what they are. If they have not dominate a playoffs series, that’s fact. Just like AM never score 80goals in his career and it is more than fair to not label him as a 80 goals scorer.

Our boys WON one playoffs series in their career with SEVEN tries. If that’s not choking, I don’t know what is.

Put it this way, if they play on any other teams, you will not be saying the stuff you are saying now

This guy thinks hes playing NHL24.
1. Those game are really crap and stopped playing since COVID
2. This is a Trade and Free agent thread, people post all kinds of crazy trade ideas and stuff

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
We were in on both Z and Roy. Neither one signed for deals that I’d say we couldn’t have accommodated. They simply chose to go elsewhere.
I really don’t think we have the budget to sign Z and Roy instead of Tanev and OEL.
The fact that they didn’t sign any forwards due to lack of budget.
While also signing or not signing Hakanpaa shows they lacked the funds.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
You forgot Marchessault

You're correct, I did. Sorry about that.

OUT:

Marner
Nylander
OEL
Hakanpaa

IN:

Lindholm/Stamkos/Guentzel
Marchessault
Roy
Zadorov

That's a bit better, it assumes we can sign all the guys we want without paying them a lot more than they took elsewhere? Your group is a lot older than the group we kept.

Two years from now Marner and Nylander are undoubtedly the two best F on these lists and Zadorov is very likely an overpaid 3rd pairing D...which is now.

I still like the guys we kept/signed more.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
You're correct, I did. Sorry about that.

OUT:

Marner
Nylander
OEL
Hakanpaa

IN:

Lindholm/Stamkos/Guentzel
Marchessault
Roy
Zadorov

That's a bit better, it assumes we can sign all the guys we want without paying them a lot more than they took elsewhere? Your group is a lot older than the group we kept.

Two years from now Marner and Nylander are undoubtedly the two best F on these lists and Zadorov is very likely an overpaid 3rd pairing D...which is now.

I still like the guys we kept/signed more.
At this point, I don’t think the Leafs should be thinking about contending a few years down the line. Their window is now and not 4 yrs from now.
They only need to Win the Cup once. Anything more is a bonus.
Also OEL is older than Z and Roy.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
At this point, I don’t think the Leafs should be thinking about contending a few years down the line. Their window is now and not 4 yrs from now.
They only need to Win the Cup once. Anything more is a bonus.
Also OEL is older than Z and Roy.

I don't think this team is better now or later and I know OEL is older than Z and Roy, also much better than Z. The F group is all much older than Marner and Nylander.

Z is a third paring dman and you feel like giving him $5M+ with term is a better use of cap space? Really? The F group you list is pretty old and/or underwhelming. It is absolutely reasonable to expect they them decline this year in performance

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
I like Larsson but I don’t see Liljegren and Kampf getting it done unless Seattle knows he won’t resign. They’d probably want a pick or a prospect like Niemela or maybe Robertson on top.

Big, right shooting, tough minutes, offensively acceptable and has missed one game in the last four seasons, he comes and performs you somehow find him 6 next year for about four years that takes him to 36. So what if he’s over 30, in a little over three years Matthews will be and Willy has less than two.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Rielly and Nylander deals were good value.

Treliving had to give Matthews a raise, but how Nylander got to that amount I'm not sure. But look at the Huberdeau contract, can only hope Nylander continues to score goals with and without Matthews.

Going Foward:

Assists % of Points
Huberdeau .69%
marner .70%
Nylander .59%
Matthews .43%

Goals % of Points
Huberdeau .31%
marner .30%
Nylander .41%
Matthews .57%

Career PPG
Huberdeau .87
marner 1.11
Nylander .88
Matthews 1.15

Reactions: Rocker13

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don't think this team is better now or later and I know OEL is older than Z and Roy, also much better than Z. The F group is all much older than Marner and Nylander.

Z is a third paring dman and you feel like giving him $5M+ with term is a better use of cap space? Really? The F group you list is pretty old and/or underwhelming. It is absolutely reasonable to expect they them decline this year in performance
Z is better than OEL at this point. And honestly, they have a feeling we will be struggling against Carlo and Z for the next few years. Also OEL is nothing special, none of us would think we miss an opportunity to sign him if he went to another team.

Willie and MM are better than Marchessault and the other forwards, I don’t think anyone can deny that but the current mix of the Leafs just ain’t good enough to be contenders. And they are chokers.
They are players that will decline but also older players that still perform esp in the playoffs.
Doesn’t matter if their regular season stats is okay as long as they perform in playoffs.

Anyhow, love the discussion but it is to a point where it is going no where since none of those players are Leafs. Let’s just hope our guys don’t choke like they had in the past this coming playoffs.

leaffann

Jun 23, 2024
Marner, Reilly, Robertson & Danford to Edmonton for Draisaitl

Minten, Niemela, Grebenkin, Hirvonen,
& a 1st Rd pick in 2026 & 2027 not lottery draft protected to Pittsburgh for Crosby

Domi Matthews Cowan
A. Nylander Draisaitl W. Nylander
Tavares Crosby Knies
McMann Holmberg Jarncrock

OEL Tanev
McCabe Liljegren
Benoit Timmins
Webber

Woll Stolarz

* A winger that is capable to play C on each line, & also capable on taking faceoffs Domi, W. Nylander & Tavares. 5 of your bottom 6 capable of playing higher up in the lineup.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

leaffann

Jun 23, 2024

& a 1st Rd pick in 2026 & 2027 not lottery draft protected to Pittsburgh for Crosby

Domi Matthews Cowan
Tavares Crosby Knies

OEL Tanev
McCabe Liljegren
Benoit Timmins
Webber

Woll Stolarz

* A winger that is capable to play C on each line, & also capable on taking faceoffs Domi, W. Nylander & Tavares. 5 of your bottom 6 capable of playing higher up in the lineup.
Edmonton line up after the trade

Robertson McDavid Hyman
Skinner RNH Marner
Janmark Henrique Arvidsson
Brown Ryan Perry
Podkolzin

Ekholm Bouchard
Reilly Stecher
Nurse Emberson
Kulak

Skinner Pickard

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Domi Matthews Cowan
Tavares Crosby Knies

OEL Tanev
McCabe Liljegren
Benoit Timmins
Webber

Woll Stolarz

Are you gonna stop watching hockey when you finally realize that A. Nylander is not going to be #2 LW?

Reactions: rumman and HolyCrap

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Any interest in Robertson for Krebs in a change of scenery deal?
Both still RFA's, Krebs C role seems to have been given to McLeod and Lafferty.
Give up more scoring for a C with a little more speed and playmaking?

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Jake Evans would be a perfect bottom 6 player for this team.

If the Leafs can move off Kampf and bring in Evans (cheaper, younger, more offense, RS C) they would be in a much more advantageous position moving forward. Evans has shown some offense and may be able to step up into a 3C role for the Leafs. He would be the only RS C on the roster. If he doesn't work out he is a UFA after this season.

A trade would probably look like Robertson+Kampf for Evans+NJD 25 3rd.

Assuming this deal the Leafs would run a bottom 6 of:

McMann-Evans-Jarnkrok
Holmberg-Dewar-Reaves

With 3M in cap space to replace Reaves or move down Evans at the deadline.

Reactions: andora and TMLAM34

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad