Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I really don’t think we have the budget to sign Z and Roy instead of Tanev and OEL.
The fact that they didn’t sign any forwards due to lack of budget.
While also signing or not signing Hakanpaa shows they lacked the funds.

Probably not both, no. But I mean they still chose not to sign here.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I'd move Minten+FLA 2nd for Perfetti in a heartbeat. I wonder what else WPG would ask for.

EvolvingHockey has Perfetti at 2.15M on a 1 year deal and 3.05M on a 2 year deal. Assuming he is willing to sign for 1 year at 2.15M with the Leafs knowing Tavares' money comes off the books and adding in the previously proposed Robertson+Kampf for Evans+NJ 25 3rd deal the Leafs would have 920k cap space with Reaves as the 13th forward. That would be enough to keep Cowan for 9 games and then call up a 7th defenseman later on or to claim a defenseman on waivers. If you keep Kampf and move Robertson for futures the Leafs would have 220k with Reaves as 13F.

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Perfetti-Domi-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok
Dewar-Holmberg-Evans
Reaves

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
I'd move Minten+FLA 2nd for Perfetti in a heartbeat. I wonder what else WPG would ask for.

EvolvingHockey has Perfetti at 2.15M on a 1 year deal and 3.05M on a 2 year deal. Assuming he is willing to sign for 1 year at 2.15M with the Leafs knowing Tavares' money comes off the books and adding in the previously proposed Robertson+Kampf for Evans+NJ 25 3rd deal the Leafs would have 920k cap space with Reaves as the 13th forward. That would be enough to keep Cowan for 9 games and then call up a 7th defenseman later on or to claim a defenseman on waivers. If you keep Kampf and move Robertson for futures the Leafs would have 220k with Reaves as 13F.

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Perfetti-Domi-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok
Dewar-Holmberg-Evans
Reaves
WPG fans wouldnt like 2nd + Minten at all, they already dont like Cowan straight up (though they respect cowan, it just doesn't make sense for their franchise to sell a guy like Perfetti for more unproven prospects.)
What’s prompting the Perfetti talk? Are there issues there?
Nothing more than speculation on a guy who doesn't have a contract yet, I think.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Or maybe Tre just didn't offer as much as the other teams.
Anyhow, it is what it is.

I mean allegedly Roy came down to us and Washington so I think it’s reasonable to assume our offer was at least comparable on him.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I'd also look at a prospect swap with Niemela. He is progressing well for his age but the Marlies are loaded at RD (Myers, Mattinen, Villeneuve and maybe Timmins). If the Leafs make a call up I believe it's more likely Berube wants either of Myers/Timmins/Maatinen given their size and their age. Niemela is also 1 year away from waiver eligibility. He will need a spot on the NHL Roster by next season.

A prospect swap for Ryan Winterton could make sense for both sides. Seattle is loaded with U21 C's (Wright, Rehkopf, Catton, Molgaard, Firkus, Goyette). They currently have 1 RD prospect in the AHL. This would be a move from a position of excess for a position of need.

Toronto doesn't have many RD prospects but they also have very little C prospects and no RS C prospects. Winterton would be direct competition with Minten but he is 1 year older. He would be the only RS C on the Leafs depth chart right now and he's played a significant amount of games with Cowan on his wing. Assuming he can step into the NHL over the next season he can ease Cowan into the NHL the following season. Winterton is also local to Toronto.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'd also look at a prospect swap with Niemela. He is progressing well for his age but the Marlies are loaded at RD (Myers, Mattinen, Villeneuve and maybe Timmins). If the Leafs make a call up I believe it's more likely Berube wants either of Myers/Timmins/Maatinen given their size and their age. Niemela is also 1 year away from waiver eligibility. He will need a spot on the NHL Roster by next season.

A prospect swap for Ryan Winterton could make sense for both sides. Seattle is loaded with U21 C's (Wright, Rehkopf, Catton, Molgaard, Firkus, Goyette). They currently have 1 RD prospect in the AHL. This would be a move from a position of excess for a position of need.

Toronto doesn't have many RD prospects but they also have very little C prospects and no RS C prospects. Winterton would be direct competition with Minten but he is 1 year older. He would be the only RS C on the Leafs depth chart right now and he's played a significant amount of games with Cowan on his wing. Assuming he can step into the NHL over the next season he can ease Cowan into the NHL the following season. Winterton is also local to Toronto.

If Niemela is struggling to establish himself behind Myers and Timmins as a RHD prospect, I don't think that's a great sign he's progressing well or has much of a future... luckily he led the Marlies in scoring among D so I don't think it will be a concern that he's getting buried behind AAAA guys or will struggle to find time behind Villeneuve and Mattinen as prospects.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I wonder if Ryan Johansen would be worth looking into as a 3C if he loses his grievance case vs Philadelphia and is actually healthy. Seems like an oddball dude with a bit of a reputation, but we wouldn't need him for a 2C spot and presumably he'd be damaged enough goods to come cheap.

Reactions: Skullz

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
From 32 thoughts

31. I think there are things percolating out there, including Toronto considering left-wing options
I mean is it trade related or does he mean like PTO related? Anyone with a brain can guess that the Leafs will be targeting an LW via PTO or minimum deals. Max Pacioretty is someone im pretty sure we have an offer out there for

Trade-related would make it more fun however

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
From 32 thoughts

31. I think there are things percolating out there, including Toronto considering left-wing options
I mean is it trade related or does he mean like PTO related? Anyone with a brain can guess that the Leafs will be targeting an LW via PTO or minimum deals. Max Pacioretty is someone im pretty sure we have an offer out there for

Trade-related would make it more fun however

With the rumours with Pacioretty choosing a team soon, could be that.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
If Niemela is struggling to establish himself behind Myers and Timmins as a RHD prospect, I don't think that's a great sign he's progressing well or has much of a future... luckily he led the Marlies in scoring among D so I don't think it will be a concern that he's getting buried behind AAAA guys or will struggle to find time behind Villeneuve and Mattinen as prospects.
Mattinen just won MVP in the German league. There’s a high probability he’s better than Niemela right now and will get the call up prior to Niemela.

Timmins for sure is a better player today. Myers is the only one I’m not sure of from that group.

Rifai and Webber might also be in front of Niemela as call up options.

There’s a long way to go for Niemela to make the Leafs.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I am assuming the LW in question is Pacioretty.

Looking at potential options:

Saad: former Berube player,, he played >16 minutes/game for STL since he arrived 3 years ago. He averaged 24g/45p per 82 in STL (26 goals last year). STL has made a ton of moves this year but they still won't sniff the playoffs. Saad is a pending UFA - most likely on the way out anyway. Jarnkrok for Saad makes sense for both teams. Leafs get the playoff pedigree and more goals. STL saves cap and gets the player for 2 seasons. This would add 2.4M against the cap for the Leafs.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
From 32 thoughts

It has to be Patches. The other options are JVR and Hoffman and both are likely washed (as sentimentally appealing as a JVR reunion would be).

Reactions: Burnie97

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Mattinen just won MVP in the German league. There’s a high probability he’s better than Niemela right now and will get the call up prior to Niemela.

Timmins for sure is a better player today. Myers is the only one I’m not sure of from that group.

Rifai and Webber might also be in front of Niemela as call up options.

There’s a long way to go for Niemela to make the Leafs.

Mattinen is a unique case as he’s a lost prospect turned darkhorse and is 26 years old. He could very well slide in as a Benoit type who gets a chance. But Niemela is ahead of Villeneuve in terms of AHL production so I don’t think he’s going to be stepped over.

As far as Timmins is concerned I just don’t think they should prioritize this guy over the development of AHL prospects. He seems to have some unique tools but is just so flawed as an NHL level D.

Myers is a unique project. Hard to know what he can do. Showed some upside around 2019 but hasn’t done much since.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Mattinen is a unique case as he’s a lost prospect turned darkhorse and is 26 years old. He could very well slide in as a Benoit type who gets a chance. But Niemela is ahead of Villeneuve in terms of AHL production so I don’t think he’s going to be stepped over.

As far as Timmins is concerned I just don’t think they should prioritize this guy over the development of AHL prospects. He seems to have some unique tools but is just so flawed as an NHL level D.

Myers is a unique project. Hard to know what he can do. Showed some upside around 2019 but hasn’t done much since.
I agree that they should prioritize Niemela’s development over playing Timmins, Myers, Mattinen but I’m not sure that actually happens.

I’m also doubtful that he’s an NHLer for the Leafs next season when he’ll require waivers.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I agree that they should prioritize Niemela’s development over playing Timmins, Myers, Mattinen but I’m not sure that actually happens.

I’m also doubtful that he’s an NHLer for the Leafs next season when he’ll require waivers.

It’s all up to Niemela. If he comes in and has a Kaberle style training camp and blows the doors off the competition, great. See you in the NHL. If it’s tepid baby steps in the AHL, then maybe he won’t pan out after all.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Is he so washed up he takes minimum salary?

Just don't see enough Cap unless he's really, really on his last legs.
Lol any UFA getting a contract this late into the season is 100% getting a minimum salaries or PTO's

Cap-space isn't an issue here for those type of players. 1yr/1M is the highest im expecting.

Reactions: 1specter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad