Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Well there are quite a few teams that are better than the Leafs. My question again is why the Leafs over the other teams?
The are three teams with in our division that can offer all of what Leafs offers and more. Teams in Florida with their tax advantages and weather, and Boston being closer to his home town.
Teams in Florida... with ZERO cap space. Boston, with a pretty full lineup. Are these teams even looking for a LW?

Anyway, he's pretty washed as a player... likely better options internally.

Knies - Matthews - Domi
McMann - Tavares - Marner
Jarnkrok - Holmberg - Nylander
Paccioretty - Dewar - Reaves

(Trade Kampf near training camp like we did Lafferty last year)
Kampf is miles better and more useful than Patch at this stage in his career. That's a net negative more.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Teams in Florida... with ZERO cap space. Boston, with a pretty full lineup. Are these teams even looking for a LW?

Kampf is miles better and more useful than Patch at this stage in his career. That's a net negative more.
This is only if Patches outplays his PTO contract.

Also saying kampf is "miles" better is hilarious. He's not miles better at anything compared to anyone. All he's good at is faceoffs. He's useless in every other facet. He's a offensive blackhole. Paccioretty has higher offensive potential.

Not to mention Kampf makes way too much money to be a 4th line center and we have Dewar and Holmberg who are on par if not better, especially on offense

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
This is only if Patches outplays his PTO contract.

Also saying kampf is "miles" better is hilarious. He's not miles better at anything compared to anyone. All he's good at is faceoffs. He's useless in every other facet. He's a offensive blackhole. Paccioretty has higher offensive potential.

Not to mention Kampf makes way too much money to be a 4th line center and we have Dewar and Holmberg who are on par if not better, especially on offense

You haven't seen Pacioretty play in the last year or two have you?

He put up 12 EV points last year... Kampf put up 19.

He is mostly perimeter offensive player now, who won't do anything in the playoffs, and be a defensive black hole. Imagine him on a line with Dewar and Reaves as suggested... I mean... you really think he'll put up points there, and they'll be terrible possession wise, and likely a minus 20 on the year.

-----

Yes, Kampf is overpaid.. but Patches is not as good as Kampf is these days... and I do appreciate the gravity of that statement.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Kampf is arguably a net negative at his contract. Getting off the last 3 years at 2.4M when they have Holmberg and Dewar who can fill that role would be a positive on it's own.

Pacioretty should never be seen as a 1-for-1 move for Kampf. Even if he is - I'm assuming he's at 1Mx1 which would probably be use of cap space.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Well there are quite a few teams that are better than the Leafs. My question again is why the Leafs over the other teams?
The are three teams with in our division that can offer all of what Leafs offers and more. Teams in Florida with their tax advantages and weather, and Boston being closer to his home town.

Maybe they are not interested in him? They are all capped out, even more than the Leafs are. Toronto have signed plenty of players over southern teams. They could maybe offer more money? I don't know. Boston is a real possibility and likely a team interested but Swayman is still unsigned.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Robertson for Tomasino makes so much sense at this point in the off-season. LW for RW, same draft, similar NHL production, both unsigned. Nashville currently has Mark Jankowski as their 3LW and they have no room for Tomasino on the RW with Marchessault/Evangelista/Nyquist in front of him. Robertson slides in at 3LW for them, Tomasino takes a shot at 3C for the Leafs.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Leafs don’t have cap space either and Max will get either a PTO or 900k contract. Think any teams in the league could offer that.

Maybe they are not interested in him? They are all capped out, even more than the Leafs are. Toronto have signed plenty of players over southern teams. They could maybe offer more money? I don't know. Boston is a real possibility and likely a team interested but Swayman is still unsigned.
I was just making examples other teams are better options.
Ofcourse if none of them are interested in Max, that’s another story.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Kampf is arguably a net negative at his contract. Getting off the last 3 years at 2.4M when they have Holmberg and Dewar who can fill that role would be a positive on it's own.

Pacioretty should never be seen as a 1-for-1 move for Kampf. Even if he is - I'm assuming he's at 1Mx1 which would probably be use of cap space.

In no world, have Holmberg or Dewar proven they can take on everyday roles of defensive C, and PK experts in this league. I really like Holmberg, and think maybe he can learn this... but there is also a good chance he can't. Holmberg isn't good enough defensively... though there is a better chance he could fill an offensive 3C line.. if Domi moves to wing with Matthews. It's a poor use of Holmberg.

Knies Matthews Domi
McMann Tavares Marner
Robertson/Cowan Holmberg Nylander

is something that makes sense.

This basically comes down to... let's dump Kampf because his cap hit at $2.4 is a lot for what he provides, and who cares the consequences, or how this downgrades us.

The smart thing to do... is really push Dewar. He showed some really good play with us, and the capability to play the PK. He needs work in the dot. At some point, Dewar and maybe Minten can replace Kampf.... Minten is likely better served in the AHL for at least this season though. Dewar has some good wheels though, and I really like his effort and drive.

Patches got most of his offense through transition, and post achilles injuries and surgeries, has no chance of keeping up with Dewar. It's just not a good mix. Honestly... if somehow Dewar shows enough to take that spot... Cowan would be a good guy to start with Dewar... both have speed and tenacity.

At the current time, there is nobody out there, that improves our team... especially patches... so, we don't need to dump Kampf and his cap space. I'd be more than willing to give Dewar a shot at stealing that spot, and happily move Kampf to another team when that proves to be the case. There will be plenty of teams that will have C injuries during the year, and would take on Kampf to fill these voids... I'm not sure many teams would line up for him right now.

Signing Patches to anything other than a PTO is likely a bad move.... I'd be surprised if he really didn't just retire midseason, after it's shown he can't play the game at the level required now.

Patches, Kubalik or Robertson.
If each were given 2LW who scores more?

Robertson easily.
Kubalik next.
Patches if not on IR... is certainly not a 2LW.... he's basically done.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
In no world, have Holmberg or Dewar proven they can take on everyday roles of defensive C, and PK experts in this league. I really like Holmberg, and think maybe he can learn this... but there is also a good chance he can't. Holmberg isn't good enough defensively... though there is a better chance he could fill an offensive 3C line.. if Domi moves to wing with Matthews. It's a poor use of Holmberg.

Knies Matthews Domi
McMann Tavares Marner
Robertson/Cowan Holmberg Nylander

is something that makes sense.

This basically comes down to... let's dump Kampf because his cap hit at $2.4 is a lot for what he provides, and who cares the consequences, or how this downgrades us.

The smart thing to do... is really push Dewar. He showed some really good play with us, and the capability to play the PK. He needs work in the dot. At some point, Dewar and maybe Minten can replace Kampf.... Minten is likely better served in the AHL for at least this season though. Dewar has some good wheels though, and I really like his effort and drive.

Patches got most of his offense through transition, and post achilles injuries and surgeries, has no chance of keeping up with Dewar. It's just not a good mix. Honestly... if somehow Dewar shows enough to take that spot... Cowan would be a good guy to start with Dewar... both have speed and tenacity.

At the current time, there is nobody out there, that improves our team... especially patches... so, we don't need to dump Kampf and his cap space. I'd be more than willing to give Dewar a shot at stealing that spot, and happily move Kampf to another team when that proves to be the case. There will be plenty of teams that will have C injuries during the year, and would take on Kampf to fill these voids... I'm not sure many teams would line up for him right now.

Signing Patches to anything other than a PTO is likely a bad move.... I'd be surprised if he really didn't just retire midseason, after it's shown he can't play the game at the level required now.
Dewar played a lot of 4C for a decent Minnesota team. He can very well handle 4C on the Leafs. Perhaps I’m naively confident in his ability but I’m also very down on Kampf. Kampf was not good last year.

I agree that Pacioretty isn’t the answer.

Reactions: OVO16

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Dewar played a lot of 4C for a decent Minnesota team. He can very well handle 4C on the Leafs. Perhaps I’m naively confident in his ability but I’m also very down on Kampf. Kampf was not good last year.

I agree that Pacioretty isn’t the answer.

Kampf was decent, once Dewar was added. 8 points in 19 games for Kampf and plus one. Dewar is the type of player Kampf needs to succeed... a guy who can carry the puck, and has speed. Yes, he sucked before Dewar was there, absolutely.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Kampf was decent, once Dewar was added. 8 points in 19 games for Kampf and plus one. Dewar is the type of player Kampf needs to succeed... a guy who can carry the puck, and has speed. Yes, he sucked before Dewar was there, absolutely.
Kampf also generally plays better in the playoffs I find. He was one of the few guys who actually showed up against Florida.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
You haven't seen Pacioretty play in the last year or two have you?

He put up 12 EV points last year... Kampf put up 19.

He is mostly perimeter offensive player now, who won't do anything in the playoffs, and be a defensive black hole. Imagine him on a line with Dewar and Reaves as suggested... I mean... you really think he'll put up points there, and they'll be terrible possession wise, and likely a minus 20 on the year.

-----

Yes, Kampf is overpaid.. but Patches is not as good as Kampf is these days... and I do appreciate the gravity of that statement.
One played a full season, the other was limited to 47 games after coming back from back to back achilies injuries and put up 23 points on a very mid capitals team.. I don't think you watched him play either in the past year or two.

It's not fair to compare Patches and Kampf in general. Both play different position and bring a completely different role to a team. The big difference between the players is the puck dies on Kampf stick while Patches has offence to him. Ideally you would like to have him on the 3rd line with a responsible two way center man, and Kampf playing on the 4th line and PK.

I mentioned earlier I would prefer someone else younger to play on the 2nd or 3rd line LW, but I wouldn't complain if Patches was brought in for some depth on the left side.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Also the other teams are good playoff teams. Leafs are terrible post season.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Also the other teams are good playoff teams. Leafs are terrible post season.

Well, only half the teams are playoffs teams and Bruins took 7 games to beat an undermanned and crippled Leafs team.

Does anyone brag about beating 1 and done Leafs team, especially when their two scorers are laid up / playing sick / out of the line-up?

:wally:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
One played a full season, the other was limited to 47 games after coming back from back to back achilies injuries and put up 23 points on a very mid capitals team.. I don't think you watched him play either in the past year or two.

It's not fair to compare Patches and Kampf in general. Both play different position and bring a completely different role to a team. The big difference between the players is the puck dies on Kampf stick while Patches has offence to him. Ideally you would like to have him on the 3rd line with a responsible two way center man, and Kampf playing on the 4th line and PK.

I mentioned earlier I would prefer someone else younger to play on the 2nd or 3rd line LW, but I wouldn't complain if Patches was brought in for some depth on the left side.

Patches started 57% in the OZ.
Kampf 27% OZ starts.

Kampf put up 1.07 points/60 Even Strength
Patches put up 1.26 points/60 Even Strength

Kampf had 8 even strength goals.
Patches TWO!!!

So barely outpaced him, despite far more starts in the Ozone, has played an average 35 games per season, the last four season because of constant injuries, and scored twice... but you'd want to get this guy to maybe play the 2nd or 3rd line... if he's ever in the lineup, because he brings all of this offence.

Dewar scored at 1.31 points/60

Nah, I'm just going to agree to disagree... Ideally you don't add Patches at all... he's cooked.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Well, only half the teams are playoffs teams and Bruins took 7 games to beat an undermanned and crippled Leafs team.

Does anyone brag about beating 1 and done Leafs team, especially when their two scorers are laid up / playing sick / out of the line-up?

:wally:
Think we are one of the few teams that celebrate making it past the first round. True contenders are expected to play in round 2 and more.

Reactions: HolyCrap

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Why would Max choose us?
If all teams are offering PTOs? Why us? As he has no tide with Leafs or Toronto.
If it is a one year contract, a few teams can afford that and then he is gone at TDL.

Would be great if Max signs with us at 950k but doubt it
I read that he's received 3 offers that he is considering so don't think he'll need to go the PTO route.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad