Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 29 56.9%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.8%

• Total voters

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I read that he's received 3 offers that he is considering so don't think he'll need to go the PTO route.
"One of the better free agent options..."

Checks calendar ... okay, thought maybe I was having a senior moment ... it is 2024.

Doesn't sound like there's anything good left then.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Call me crazy... but why not JvR?

You've got a "plugger" like Bobby McMann that will go out and just do the dirty work.

You've got the young kid in Matthew Knies that you're trying to develop some higher end offensive ability.

You've got solid 2-way forward Calle Jarnkrok, and a future Calle Jarnkrok in Pontus Holmberg, that you can use in defensive situations.

Why not an ideal player to stick infront of the net on the powerplay? Somebody that's been an offensive player with size in the league for a long time. Somebody that has excellent hands around the net, on a team that likes to shoot from the perimeter.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I really don't get this pursuit of a LW unless it's just fungible insurance that we can cut for little expense if one of the young guys steps up. LW is arguably our deepest position. Even if they move Domi to centre, you still have Knies, McMann, Robertson and either of Grebenkin, Cowan, or Alex Nylander battling for a spot.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Robertson for Tomasino makes so much sense at this point in the off-season. LW for RW, same draft, similar NHL production, both unsigned. Nashville currently has Mark Jankowski as their 3LW and they have no room for Tomasino on the RW with Marchessault/Evangelista/Nyquist in front of him. Robertson slides in at 3LW for them, Tomasino takes a shot at 3C for the Leafs.

Might be a worthwhile discussion.
What do we know about Robertson outside of what we see in games?
Maybe Tomasino's coach is a little more honest?

10. Philip Tomasino (Nashville)

Position: Centre
2023-24 salary cap hit: $863,334
Arbitration rights: No
Bargaining chips: First-round draft pick. 2021 world junior silver medallist. Nearly a point-per-game player in the AHL. Plenty of offensive upside (20 points in 41 games) for a team always in search of goals.

The latest: The Predators and ’tweener Tomasino find themselves at a crossroads after another season split between Milwaukee and Nashville.

When asked about Tomasino’s future in May, coach Andrew Brunette challenged the young forward.

“He needs to grab a little bit of the identity that we’ve created here,” Brunette said, per The Tennessean. “If he can, and if he puts the work in, and he’s relentless, then his skill will take over.

“If, like at different times this year where (Tomasino) wanted the skill first without the work, I’m not sure he has a chance to play for us next year.”

Yikes.

Still, the Preds submitted the RFA a $874,125 qualifying offer and shed another young centre, Cody Glass, after slamming themselves up against the cap in a UFA spending spree (Steven Stamkos, Jonathan Marchessault, Brady Skjei).

Tomasino can elect to withhold his services or sign for less than he believes he’s worth.

Reactions: Americanadian

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I really don't get this pursuit of a LW unless it's just fungible insurance that we can cut for little expense if one of the young guys steps up. LW is arguably our deepest position. Even if they move Domi to centre, you still have Knies, McMann, Robertson and either of Grebenkin, Cowan, or Alex Nylander battling for a spot.

Left handed LW is pretty weak if you consider Robertson not back. McMann is already injured prone so I think you have to account for that. The Leafs would be wise to add a capable left handed scoring option for the top 9 if Robertson isn't back. If he's back, then that need isn't really needed anymore.

Cowan is either NHL or Junior like Minten was last year, so unless he does fantastic in camp his depth probably won't be useful. Putting Alex Nylander in a viable option for LW speaks volumes. Maybe Greb or another Marlies comes in and does great but generally speaking, the Leafs could use a capable LW that can put up goals/points.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
""

I'm one of the bigger Nick Robertson fans, and think Keefe used him very poorly... but, the kid has no leverage here. I don't want the Leafs to trade him for nothing, and if we can't get value for him, he needs to stay and play until he builds enough value for us to get something. If he's not going to sign, that's fair... enjoy Europe this year...which isn't going to help your value either.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
""

I'm one of the bigger Nick Robertson fans, and think Keefe used him very poorly... but, the kid has no leverage here. I don't want the Leafs to trade him for nothing, and if we can't get value for him, he needs to stay and play until he builds enough value for us to get something. If he's not going to sign, that's fair... enjoy Europe this year...which isn't going to help your value either.

Was looking forward to seeing him in the NHL a couple years ago.

Obviously, it isn't working out for Robertson, but maybe it wasn't Keefe?

Keefe is gone, Robertson is given a fresh start, excellent opportunity and still wants to do his own thing.

If they could get a 2nd. round pick, for a player who can score, but not much of anything else consider it a win. An offersheet for a 3rd. round pick probably would have happened if the Leafs wouldn't match. Maybe teams don't see him as a good investment at 2nd. round offersheet pick?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
""

It does feel like he's getting some bad advice but he's gotta do what he's gotta do. Not sure what his plan is though because sitting out or going to Europe until traded seems counter productive.

He needs to learn from DeBrusk's situation and our management needs to probably go that route.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It does feel like he's getting some bad advice but he's gotta do what he's gotta do. Not sure what his plan is though because sitting out or going to Europe until traded seems counter productive.

He needs to learn from DeBrusk's situation and our management needs to probably go that route.

Agreed... he's been injured a lot, has a grand total of 34 NHL points over 5 seasons... I'm not sure what demand he and his team thinks there is out there. I appreciate the player, and his potential, but there can't be much demand for a guy with his injury history, who hasn't fully broken out yet. He's put the Leafs in a position, where they've invested quite a bit of time in him, but aren't going to get much out of it if they move him now. On the other side, I can see what he's upset with the Leafs too.

I'm a Leafs fan first, although he is one of my favourite prospects... and all I can say, is come and prove your worth, take advantage of the opportunity that is here now, and if later on you still want to be traded, we will accommodate you next off season.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I’m assuming the lines are going to be:

X-Matthews-Nylander
Knies-Domi-Marner (good in the playoffs last year)
McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok (good line when all 3 were healthy last year)
Dewar-Kampf-Reaves (ok in playoffs last year)

If they do lineup like this they would realistically be looking for a Hyman type LW which is not Robertson. They’d have 2.35M to fill that 1LW assuming Holmberg/Reaves both stay up.

An interesting fit could be a Kampf for Iafallo swap. WPG currently has Iafallo pencilled in at 4RW for 4M. Iafallo has historically been a top 6 complimentary forward. WPG also has Gustafsson as their 4C who hasn’t been successful at the NHL level.

Replacing Kampf with Iafallo would give the Leafs $775333 cap space with a 20 man roster. Just enough to afford a league minimum roster player (Clutterbuck, Steeves).

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
I’m assuming the lines are going to be:

X-Matthews-Nylander
Knies-Domi-Marner (good in the playoffs last year)
McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok (good line when all 3 were healthy last year)
Dewar-Kampf-Reaves (ok in playoffs last year)

If they do lineup like this they would realistically be looking for a Hyman type LW which is not Robertson. They’d have 2.35M to fill that 1LW assuming Holmberg/Reaves both stay up.

An interesting fit could be a Kampf for Iafallo swap. WPG currently has Iafallo pencilled in at 4RW for 4M. Iafallo has historically been a top 6 complimentary forward. WPG also has Gustafsson as their 4C who hasn’t been successful at the NHL level.

Replacing Kampf with Iafallo would give the Leafs $775333 cap space with a 20 man roster. Just enough to afford a league minimum roster player (Clutterbuck, Steeves).
Not a fan of those lines at all. Having Marner and Domi together is a horrible idea while leaving Knies as the only shooter on that line. I'd roll 3 even lines

Knies-Matthews-Domi
McMann-Tavares-Marner
Grebyonkin-Holmberg-Nylander
Dewar-Kampf-Jarnkrok
Reaves

Grebyonkin is the wild card here. If he's what I think he is, then we'll essentially have another Kulemin with maybe some more offense.

Reaves comes in for Dewar when we face heavier more physical teams.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Not a fan of those lines at all. Having Marner and Domi together is a horrible idea while leaving Knies as the only shooter on that line. I'd roll 3 even lines

Knies-Matthews-Domi
McMann-Tavares-Marner
Grebyonkin-Holmberg-Nylander
Dewar-Kampf-Jarnkrok
Reaves

Grebyonkin is the wild card here. If he's what I think he is, then we'll essentially have another Kulemin with maybe some more offense.

Reaves comes in for Dewar when we face heavier more physical teams.
I am misremembering Knies-Domi-Marner being good in the playoffs this year. It was Bertuzzi-Domi-Marner. I am assuming Knies can fill that Bertuzzi role which could give the Leafs strong depth.

If you think Grebenkin makes the team then that changes things. I’m not banking on any of Cowan/Minten/Greb making it.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I am misremembering Knies-Domi-Marner being good in the playoffs this year. It was Bertuzzi-Domi-Marner. I am assuming Knies can fill that Bertuzzi role which could give the Leafs strong depth.

If you think Grebenkin makes the team then that changes things. I’m not banking on any of Cowan/Minten/Greb making it.

My guess is Grebenkin can play in the NHL this year, the same way that Knies did last year.
Grebenkin has good size, very good speed, has played last 2 years against men. Recent report touted him as a North-South player, something Berube would probably be good with. Also appears to be a team guy, something Leafs could use more of. Will come to the aid of a mate.

I do wonder if he'll be ready for camp, due to missing training time with his injury?

Knies didn't exactly tear up the league, but played well enough to get almost 14 minutes a night. Draft a year earlier than Grebenkin.

He shoots left, but is a RW? Watched several highlights, and seems to be LW as much as RW.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016

The thing with having Marner and Domi on the same line is both of them are pass first, pass second, shoot third type players. You can't have both on the same line and only leave one shooter

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
True.

The point was, no one looks at beating the perennial patsy as a great accomplishment.

It is expected the Leafs are your step into the 2nd. round.
"Think we are one of the few teams that celebrate making it past the first round. True contenders are expected to play in round 2 and more."

Lol

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I get the sense from previous training camp comments from Wickenheiser that Robertson is a very willful personality and has taken some coaxing to get him on board with playing a certain way, dial down the intensity.

Requesting a trade from the Leafs as job is opening up at your position doesn’t make sense and I doubt any agent is advising Robertson to do so. There’s no leverage, Robertson doesn’t hold high value and the risk in loss of income and opportunity is substantial.

The problem with Robertson is he’s a small guy who tries to play a buzzy man on man game and has had durability issues. He’s also struggled to find ways to get open and be more efficient at scoring, utilizing his big weapon. And his decision making is somewhat low IQ. And he’s not great in checking and defensive roles. Those aren’t Leaf problems. Those are Nick problems.

To me, this is a kid being emotional, stubborn and not properly assessing why his career has been slow to progress, and completely blind to the opportunity that awaits. Don’t love the player, thought process.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I get the sense from previous training camp comments from Wickenheiser that Robertson is a very willful personality and has taken some coaxing to get him on board with playing a certain way, dial down the intensity.

Requesting a trade from the Leafs as job is opening up at your position doesn’t make sense and I doubt any agent is advising Robertson to do so. There’s no leverage, Robertson doesn’t hold high value and the risk in loss of income and opportunity is substantial.

To me, this is a kid being emotional, stubborn and not properly assessing why his career has been slow to progress, and completely blind to the opportunity that awaits. Don’t love the player, thought process.
He's probably in the worst situation he can be to try to get a trade... A) Robertson has the option to sign a offer sheet and either teams haven't asked him, or he's only getting offers that him and his agent know Toronto will match keeping him here which is why he hasn't signed one.

B) He uses his right to sit out and not play games and hampers his development and ability to become a everday NHLer.

C) Toronto isn't going to trade him away as a throw away.

I think how the situation will play out and like how a majority of the situation plays out with other teams, is Robertson will sign a 1 year contract, play out the year and request a trade when he's something of value to the Leafs, or sign a offer sheet next season.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He's probably in the worst situation he can be to try to get a trade... A) Robertson has the option to sign a offer sheet and either teams haven't asked him, or he's only getting offers that him and his agent know Toronto will match keeping him here which is why he hasn't signed one.

B) He uses his right to sit out and not play games and hampers his development and ability to become a everday NHLer.

C) Toronto isn't going to trade him away as a throw away.

I think how the situation will play out and like how a majority of the situation plays out with other teams, is Robertson will sign a 1 year contract, play out the year and request a trade when he's something of value to the Leafs, or sign a offer sheet next season.

The kid is being a hot head and seems to have taken umbrage against an organization that hasn’t really limited him. The entitled, wrongheaded approach just irks me. And I agree with what you said, I think it’ll play out exactly the way you described and it will turn Toronto market against Robertson before he’s even out the door.

Reactions: LeafSteel

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
""

End of the day, if someone doesn't want to be here, I don't want them here.

Kubalik, Cousins, Patches all look like viable LW options

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad