Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sam Bennett on TSN radio today. They were chatting him up about interactions with Leafs fans and how we all tell him we hate him but hope he’s a Leaf one day. UFA next summer. I could see it.

Reactions: TMLAM34

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Sam Bennett on TSN radio today. They were chatting him up about interactions with Leafs fans and how we all tell him we hate him but hope he’s a Leaf one day. UFA next summer. I could see it.
Dang shame we couldn't have scooped him up 3 trade deadlines ago when he was on his way out of Calgary.

There were actually posters on here claiming that we didn't need him because Kerfoot was a better player than him anyway. The nonsense you read around here some days is fascinating.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Dang shame we couldn't have scooped him up 3 trade deadlines ago when he was on his way out of Calgary.

There were actually posters on here claiming that we didn't need him because Kerfoot was a better player than him anyway. The nonsense you read around here some days is fascinating.
Some will choose JT over Bennett if both are available today or this summer.

Reactions: andora and IPS

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I advocated for Bennett that deadline, he had done well in Calgary in the playoffs despite being a regular season dud. Brought a Darcy Tucker kind of hostility to the Battle of Alberta.

Kerfoot was a nice vanilla little player but man the carrying cost on that guy was pretty high, all told. That year we could have had Barbashev as well but nope. Kerfoot. Or how about the traded more to get Jake McCabe compared to Edmonton for Ekholm because Kerfoot.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

One poster (Zeke) went as far to tell me Petan was a better in-house option. Hard to forget that one.

He checked every box and his playoff performance the season prior to him being traded foreshadowed a breakout.

Could not believe we couldn’t beat FLAs offer at the time. Was such an obvious fit.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Robertson trade ideas

M. Bourque? - Seems blocked
Any of CBJ's young D - they have too many
Korczak on Vegas?
Tomasino on NSH? Out of favor w/ Trotz
Thomas on LAK? We need centres, he's a right shot

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
That year we could have had Barbashev as well but nope. Kerfoot. Or how about the traded more to get Jake McCabe compared to Edmonton for Ekholm because Kerfoot.
Barbashev wasn't traded until 2023, and Edmonton traded more for Ekholm than we did for McCabe. Kerfoot had nothing to do with either.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Robertson trade ideas

M. Bourque? - Seems blocked
Any of CBJ's young D - they have too many
Korczak on Vegas?
Tomasino on NSH? Out of favor w/ Trotz
Thomas on LAK? We need centres, he's a right shot

Ceulemans, Kalyiev (still a RFA) or Tomasino could make sense for a change of scenery type deal player for player. It depends if those teams want Robertson.

Many retooling/rebuilding teams should have interest in some way. With Hakanpaa likely not signed, the Leafs opened up some interesting amount of cap space.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Ceulemans, Kalyiev (still a RFA) or Tomasino could make sense for a change of scenery type deal player for player. It depends if those teams want Robertson.

Many retooling/rebuilding teams should have interest in some way. With Hakanpaa likely not signed, the Leafs opened up some interesting amount of cap space.

Korczak would put me over the moon but I don't see why any team wouldn't want Robertson.

27 pts in 56GP is 39.53 = 40 pt pace without ANY PP time at all. I don't think Robertson really even got any significant time in the top 6 so 3rd line ES minutes...

I don't know if we win a lot of these trades but clearly we need to make it since he doesn't want to be here.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Barbashev wasn't traded until 2023, and Edmonton traded more for Ekholm than we did for McCabe. Kerfoot had nothing to do with either.

Barbashev was a potential tack on to the ROR deal when we got him and Acciari but went to Vegas. The same week we got McCabe and Lafferty with retention from Chicago. The same time Edmonton got Ekholm from Nashville with minimal retention and taking Barrie on in 2023. The last year of Alex Kerfoot.

We also had Kerfoot from 2018-19 to 2022-23. The carrying cost on that bit of mediocre at $3.5 million was massive.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Barbashev was a potential tack on to the ROR deal when we got him and Acciari but went to Vegas. The same week we got McCabe and Lafferty with retention from Chicago. The same time Edmonton got Ekholm from Nashville with minimal retention and taking Barrie on in 2023. The last year of Alex Kerfoot.

We also had Kerfoot from 2018-19 to 2022-23. The carrying cost on that bit of mediocre at $3.5 million was massive.

I also remember that they said they didn't want to trade Kerfoot so that's why a guy like Barbashev didn't come over and it was mind blowing how resistant that management group was to trading Kerfoot.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Some will choose JT over Bennett if both are available today or this summer.
The challenge with Bennett, is he plays a hard style, and only has ONE full NHL season in his career. He will likely regress pretty hard in his 30's, so that needs to be taken into context.

I don't think anyone should choose JT over Bennett, Grandlund, Gourde... I would hope that we sign JT at a low enough cap hit, that we can add one of Bennett, Granlund or Gourde, in addition to JT.

Reactions: Menzinger

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Sounds like Swayman wants to break the bank and reset the goalie market.

Nice to see the Bruins getting taken to the cleaners for once. Although it wouldn't shock me if they traded Swayman instead of paying up and then whoever his replacement was puts up a Vezina type season.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Barbashev was a potential tack on to the ROR deal when we got him and Acciari but went to Vegas. The same week we got McCabe and Lafferty with retention from Chicago. The same time Edmonton got Ekholm from Nashville with minimal retention and taking Barrie on in 2023. The last year of Alex Kerfoot. We also had Kerfoot from 2018-19 to 2022-23. The carrying cost on that bit of mediocre at $3.5 million was massive.
Barbashev's cap hit was only 1m more than Acciari, and we had LTIR and cap going in and out that deadline. Cap wasn't really the issue. If he was discussed, I imagine the 1st round prospect cost was. And while Ekholm is 3 times the cap hit of McCabe, his struggles, age, and increased asset cost was also likely a big part of the consideration. In the end, both Edmonton and Toronto made good deals and got good defensemen that fit their needs. Kerfoot has nothing to do with either, and re-signed for the same amount.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Barbashev's cap hit was only 1m more than Acciari, and we had LTIR and cap going in and out that deadline. Cap wasn't really the issue. If he was discussed, I imagine the 1st round prospect cost was. And while Ekholm is 3 times the cap hit of McCabe, his struggles, age, and increased asset cost was also likely a big part of the consideration. In the end, both Edmonton and Toronto made good deals and got good defensemen that fit their needs. Kerfoot has nothing to do with either, and re-signed for the same amount.

Not really. There was an active discussion about Kerfoot being flushed out the door at the time to make space.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Sounds like Swayman wants to break the bank and reset the goalie market.

Nice to see the Bruins getting taken to the cleaners for once. Although it wouldn't shock me if they traded Swayman instead of paying up and then whoever his replacement was puts up a Vezina type season.

Yup. Here’s hoping he sticks to his guns and makes them pay up huge. If I’m him I am probably thinking to myself maybe you shouldn’t have given 5M of your cap space to a D we really didn’t even need and prioritized me, especially after trading away Ullmark and making me the clear #1

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think once the calendar turns to September, the league will really start to wake up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad