Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The issue with Kerfoot was always tied to how he was acquired.
True. Some people glorified the memory of a middle-six center with poor defensive play and a long history of discipline issues and critical suspensions, and as a result, people overvalued his worth and attached a negative perception to the players returned. Kerfoot couldn't just be appreciated for what he was, and it's already hard enough for players who contribute beyond just #points to be appreciated appropriately.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I can see us going after Jenner, Laughton, or Kuraly at the deadline.
As much as I'd like him on the Leafs, I seem to recall the Blue Jackets coming out in the past saying they aren't going to move Jenner. Maybe that changes, but it seems like they want him on the team long term to help with the youth movement.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The issue with Kerfoot was always tied to how he was acquired. They gave up a homegrown bonified 2nd center that went on to help them win a Stanley Cup, and the Leafs received a kind of pricey middle-six winger, who was supposed to play center (but couldn't) and Tyson Barrie... sigh.

I mean, Trevor Moore could've easily had that spot. Oops...

Muzzin was a great add...the only complaint would be he wasn't a right shot but we are probably another Muzzin off having a good-very good D core

Reactions: Menzinger

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
As much as I'd like him on the Leafs, I seem to recall the Blue Jackets coming out in the past saying they aren't going to move Jenner. Maybe that changes, but it seems like they want him on the team long term to help with the youth movement.

True. My thinking was with new management and if they’re way out of the playoffs maybe they’d think about going in a new direction and handing the reigns over to Fantilli.

Another issue would be making the money work. Kuraly is way more likely to be moved, but who knows if he’d waive for Canada.

Reactions: Rob Brown

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Makes perfect sense. A good veteran that has had a rough go with injuries in the last 3 years. He can still be a solid secondary veteran point producer to replace Bertuzzi/Robertson.

With the Hakanpaa signing likely dead in the water, and Robertson likely on his way out, I think it's good to shift the cap to a LW.

I think it's worth it if he can come in at a low cap hit.

I hope he sees Toronto as a good fit. He knows what it's like playing for the Habs before with a crazy fan base.

If he signs ... I'd imagine Leafs would then make a move with Robertson. I just hope they can do a solid prospect for prospect trade.

I want to root for Robertson and I hope he sees he still has a real chance this camp but that's doubtful with the recent news.

I guess we'll know soon enough.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think it's worth it if he can come in at a low cap hit.

I hope he sees Toronto as a good fit. He knows what it's like playing for the Habs before with a crazy fan base.

If he signs ... I'd imagine Leafs would then make a move with Robertson. I just hope they can do a solid prospect for prospect trade.

I want to root for Robertson and I hope he sees he still has a real chance this camp but that's doubtful with the recent news.

I guess we'll know soon enough.

I think his talent is still there, it's being able to stay healthy the big question mark. He finished the season healthy so maybe he's passed it. You can go with a bonus heavy contract to ensure the immediate cap space is low enough.

As for Robertson, it is what it is. No idea what will happen there. It's been ongoing for what... 3 months? So it's possible the return is underwhelming.

Reactions: Burnie97

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
1724942681613.png

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I can see us going after Jenner, Laughton, or Kuraly at the deadline.

I can see why you'd be interested, but it seems doubtful many of these guys are moved.

Jenner won't be at this point, and the only chance would be next year at the deadline, if he tells them he won't resign with them. He's an important part of their franchise.

Kuraly is not a core part like Jenner, but he's still important to them, and likely also only gets moved if he tells them he wants to be a UFA and move on.

Laughton loves Philly, and Tortorella as well. Philly and Torts love Laughton. If the team shows any likelihood of being near competitive, he isn't going anywhere.

These guys would be good to add to the team, no question, but I just don't think they are available. If both teams are terrible, maybe the team and players have second thoughts on that though.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think his talent is still there, it's being able to stay healthy the big question mark. He finished the season healthy so maybe he's passed it. You can go with a bonus heavy contract to ensure the immediate cap space is low enough.

As for Robertson, it is what it is. No idea what will happen there. It's been ongoing for what... 3 months? So it's possible the return is underwhelming.
You'd think at this point there is no need to pay more than league minimum for anyone coming onboard. You are in competition for players no one wants.

WRT Robertson, the fact he has a fresh start, and a GM who is trying to sell him on staying, with a new coach kind of indicates it isn't about opportunity. Barry Trotz was commenting on the younger players and how if he went to their minor team and asked those who are ready for the NHL today to raise their hand, all of them would put their hand up. He said it is more than that, it is consistency, and doing it all the time.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada

Yeah I agree on all of that. You'd think they would have this figured out in the next week or so.

Things are going to gear up really soon.

Every year I'm ready for my soul to be crushed again. Looking forward to it lol.

Reactions: aingefan

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I don't think Patch is really the answer to anything at this point. His play had declined quite a bit, some age, and some injury related. Can he bounce back? But I guess he's as good insurance as any, as long he isn't played just because he is a veteran, and doesn't get in the way of any young players who might be better at this point.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Why spend our cap space on a 3rd line center when we can spend it on an old, injury riddled “goal scorer” who could only put up 4 goals last year?

Pacioretty sucks and unless he comes in for league min then this is dumb.

Reactions: notdoneyet

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
Same old same old.

I guess with recycled GM's you get recycled ideas.
I’m 37 years old and everything my dad told me as a kid about the Leafs has come true lol all they do is sign washed players every year hoping for a different result

Reactions: rumman

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Why spend our cap space on a 3rd line center when we can spend it on an old, injury riddled “goal scorer” who could only put up 4 goals last year?

Pacioretty sucks and unless he comes in for league min then this is dumb.

Who's the 3rd line center they can spend the money on?

He will likely come in close to league minimum with bonuses. He still played at a 40 point pace. He basically missed 11 months of hockey since he got injured January 19th 2023 all the way to January 2024. If he's healthy and ready to go, I think I'd expect a bounce back season... but staying healthy will be the bigger question mark than his talent.

Reactions: Menzinger

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
but lilly is not a top 4 dman, leafs don't need to test him... Liljegren need to earn it and it'ssomething he never be able to do even when leafs had a massive need at RD. If he want to play on top 4, he need to prove he's better than the guy in front of him, it's how every sport was working
He’ll never ve a solid top four D man imo, guy’s had more chances than he’s deserved, wishful thinking won’t make him what we wish he’d be……

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad