Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I don't hate the idea of signing Patches. He has natural goal scoring ability you just can't teach, and a bit of ruggedness to his game. Obviously he's a big injury risk, but if it's a 1-year deal who really gives a shit?

Reactions: OVO16

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I’d love to see Swayman hold firm at like 10 and either take a huge chunk of their cap or force a move, when they’ve already lost Ullmark. The goalie market is dippy but he’d easily get 9, at least, from someone.

I don’t hate Pacioretty for a year at league minimum, you can’t even post a thread on the main board about it without seethe…

Era of team friendly contracts for Boston could be over.

Reactions: Captain Crunch

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Who's the 3rd line center they can spend the money on?

He will likely come in close to league minimum with bonuses. He still played at a 40 point pace. He basically missed 11 months of hockey since he got injured January 19th 2023 all the way to January 2024. If he's healthy and ready to go, I think I'd expect a bounce back season... but staying healthy will be the bigger question mark than his talent.
They don’t need to spend it now. It’s okay to go into the season with cap space. Let the young players play and grow, see what works come close to the deadline, and then make your move to improve the roster.

40 point pace is nothing to write home about. That’s really not much upside, especially when he was -14 in half a a season on a playoff team. Roberston has more upside than him in all aspects of the game.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
They don’t need to spend it now. It’s okay to go into the season with cap space. Let the young players play and grow, see what works come close to the deadline, and then make your move to improve the roster.

40 point pace is nothing to write home about. That’s really not much upside, especially when he was -14 in half a a season on a playoff team. Roberston has more upside than him in all aspects of the game.

I don't disagree but this is a free asset that won't cost picks/prospects to plug the hole. There's some upside to inserting a veteran that can give you ~40 points as opposed to finding a ~40 point player in-season via trade. The upside is pretty big if he regains his form pre-injury form, which is not impossible. We can't keep bleeding picks/prospects to plug holes. The cap someone like Pacioretty would take will be fairly minimal anyway.

Robertson doesn't want to be here. So unless there's a shift in his decision, it's not happening. You could give the spot to Cowan or Greb or Abruzzese or Steeves or Hirvonen... maybe one of them will do well.

Last edited:
Reactions: WTFMAN99

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
Patches is an okay target I guess. I wouldn’t want anything over 1 by 1 though.

Really hope we waive reaves

Patches is an okay target I guess. I wouldn’t want anything over 1 by 1 though.

Really hope we waive reaves

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't disagree but this is a free asset that won't cost picks/prospects to plug the hole. There's some upside to inserting a veteran that can give you ~40 points as opposed to finding a ~40 point player in-season via trade. The upside is pretty big if he regains his form pre-injury form, which is not impossible. We can't keep bleeding picks/prospects to plug holes. The cap someone like Pacioretty would take will be fairly minimal anyway.

Robertson doesn't want to be here. So unless there's a shift in his decision, it's not happening. You could give the spot to Cowan or Greb or Abruzzese or Steeves or Hirvonen... maybe one of them will do well.

Only thing that could suck is blocking a player for Patches if they had a good pre-season, Grebyonkin you could call up in case of injury but for Cowan it's NHL or OHL so you kinda gotta decide early.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Only thing that could suck is blocking a player for Patches if they had a good pre-season, Grebyonkin you could call up in case of injury but for Cowan it's NHL or OHL so you kinda gotta decide early.

Cowan is probably my favourite prospect since Marner so I think it would be fun but I also know putting a player in the NHL too early can be problematic a bit. It would be a very good problem to have if Cowan comes in and looks exceptional where you can't send him down and we still have Pacioretty in the fold. Punt someone else, waive whoever is struggling, etc. Just make the necessary moves really.

On the flip side, maybe Knies and/or McMann get injured and you're forcing lesser players in higher roles and that's why depth is important through the season. Pacioretty would likely help a little bit removing that issue in some form. Maybe he just flat out sucks and is unplayable... I dunno. I like the idea of Pacioretty but I also see the value in just playing what we have.

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Pretty crazy that Curry just signed a 62.6mil one year contract.
Why can't the NHL players do that, lol.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Pretty crazy that Curry just signed a 62.6mil one year contract.
Why can't the NHL players do that, lol.

They have like what 5 players on court at a time? We have 18

One player can win you a championship in bb. One player cannot win you jack in NHL

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I don't hate the idea of signing Patches. He has natural goal scoring ability you just can't teach, and a bit of ruggedness to his game. Obviously he's a big injury risk, but if it's a 1-year deal who really gives a shit?
I’m tired of signing washed up retreads that ultimately disappoint, find a younger player with less perigee and more upside…….

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
When that trade broke, they also said the Leafs had to improve the draft pick in the deal to get Chicago to increase retention to make the deal work, specifically because they had decided to keep Kerfoot and not move him at that TDL, as there was some speculation that they would.

Thank God we did, as Kerfoot went on to do absolutely nothing that playoff, for the value price of $3.5m.

Kerfoot had some kind of voodoo spell on Dubas and Keefe. Was beyond any semblance of logic.
The same voodoo with kampf and Jarnkrok
Both give nothing for their cost
Both are redundant
4.5 million wasted

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad