Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
I don't disagree but this is a free asset that won't cost picks/prospects to plug the hole. There's some upside to inserting a veteran that can give you ~40 points as opposed to finding a ~40 point player in-season via trade. The upside is pretty big if he regains his form pre-injury form, which is not impossible. We can't keep bleeding picks/prospects to plug holes. The cap someone like Pacioretty would take will be fairly minimal anyway.

Robertson doesn't want to be here. So unless there's a shift in his decision, it's not happening. You could give the spot to Cowan or Greb or Abruzzese or Steeves or Hirvonen... maybe one of them will do well.
In my view, we’re spending cap space on a mediocre player that does not move the needle for us come playoff time, and blocks our young guys develop. Then because we have almost no cap, we spend assets at the TDL on more mediocre players that don’t improve our team. That’s the real waste of assets. I’d much rather give young guys a shot and save the cap for an impact player at the TDL.

Even if I’m blowing this out of proportion for this specific year, it’s a trend with the leafs that isn’t great. And it’s also the reason Robertson has requested a trade.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
In my view, we’re spending cap space on a mediocre player that does not move the needle for us come playoff time, and blocks our young guys develop. Then because we have almost no cap, we spend assets at the TDL on more mediocre players that don’t improve our team. That’s the real waste of assets. I’d much rather give young guys a shot and save the cap for an impact player at the TDL.

Even if I’m blowing this out of proportion for this specific year, it’s a trend with the leafs that isn’t great. And it’s also the reason Robertson has requested a trade.

Parioretty would sign basically at salary cap minimum. It's a guy who cab score what 40, will never put your team in trouble defensively. Personally i prefer put 1 M on pacio than 1,2 M on a guy like dewar.

He doesn't block anyone, if the younr are not able to win their job, too bad. It's just a stupid way to think in my mind. Robertson didn't play because his game was not enough good and he need to prove he can do more. Robertson got his chance to prove what he could, he play along side top leafs offebsive player at timw, he played in a easier matchup on 3rd line but struggle to be good enough to stay in.

The reason leafs had to trade asset for average player if exactly because some young player what unable to step up like robertson, like liljegren and etc...

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Robertson got to play every game of the playoffs with 3rd line minutes, didn't score a point.

Could Keefe have used him better? Yes.

Do we have a new coach and an opening for him to succeed? Also yes.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Parioretty would sign basically at salary cap minimum. It's a guy who cab score what 40, will never put your team in trouble defensively. Personally i prefer put 1 M on pacio than 1,2 M on a guy like dewar.

He doesn't block anyone, if the younr are not able to win their job, too bad. It's just a stupid way to think in my mind. Robertson didn't play because his game was not enough good and he need to prove he can do more. Robertson got his chance to prove what he could, he play along side top leafs offebsive player at timw, he played in a easier matchup on 3rd line but struggle to be good enough to stay in.

The reason leafs had to trade asset for average player if exactly because some young player what unable to step up like robertson, like liljegren and etc...
It’s not a stupid way to think and it’s why this team is horrible at developing players. I’d much rather take a shot and play a slightly worse player so he can develop in the long run over a crappy 35 year old who will not help in the playoffs or long term. And like I said, if they can’t cut it by the trade deadline then you make a move and bench them. This team is plenty good to make the playoffs regardless.

This team just has zero clue about developing players, and we’ve quite a few talented players because of it.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Having trouble understanding the plan for the bottom six (with or without adding Pacioretty).

The Reaves/Kampf duo on the 4th line is still such an odd combo to me. The two styles just don't work together.

The Kampf extension + Reaves getting term is definitely a water and oil scenario.

The 4th line and even third line really haven't had much thought put into them.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Robertson got to play every game of the playoffs with 3rd line minutes, didn't score a point.

Could Keefe have used him better? Yes.

Do we have a new coach and an opening for him to succeed? Also yes.
Our 11M franchise players can’t do **** all in the playoffs either. Robertson sucking too means very little. The whole team did.

He was productive enough in the regular season to deserve a shot. Give the kid a chance to develop defensively and be a regular. If it doesn’t work, then make a move later in the season before playoffs.

Maybe that ship has already sailed this season though

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Our 11M franchise players can’t do **** all in the playoffs either. Robertson sucking too means very little. The whole team did.

He was productive enough in the regular season to deserve a shot. Give the kid a chance to develop defensively and be a regular. If it doesn’t work, then make a move later in the season before playoffs.

Maybe that ship has already sailed this season though

He got a shot, probably need a chance on PP2 but that never came but that is probably there this year if he stay(ed).

I think it's done though, he seems unwilling to sign here.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I think that's the glass half empty look on it. I see it as Pacioretty adding secondary depth and being a leader around the room. If he gets back to his normal self, he's a potential 30 goal scorer (on pace anyway). He'd have a full training camp to shake rust off, train and not join a bad team half-way through the season like he did.

At the deadline this team adds a bunch of mediocre/bad veterans for picks and it never moves the needle. I can almost promise you they will do the same thing. So might as well save us from a pick or two.

If Pacioretty is that bad and a Prospect/Marlies player can't outplay him -- we're in trouble anyway. If everyone does great then it's a very good problem. As for Robertson, the guy got injured 2 straight seasons and then wasn't exactly the most consistent player last season. Who exactly blocked his playing time last season that wasn't seen as better?

Last edited:
Reactions: Once

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Who's the 3rd line center they can spend the money on?

He will likely come in close to league minimum with bonuses. He still played at a 40 point pace. He basically missed 11 months of hockey since he got injured January 19th 2023 all the way to January 2024. If he's healthy and ready to go, I think I'd expect a bounce back season... but staying healthy will be the bigger question mark than his talent.

Working under the assumption that we should even want him, league min take it or leave it imo. If Pacioretty isn’t okay with that, I’m fine with him going elsewhere. Bonuses are a nightmare cap wise and I don’t even really want the player.

Reactions: LeafChief

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Robertson is an odd case because realistically the two things he took issue with were Keefe’s handling of him, and not being in the NHL when he arguably deserved to be due to his contact being waiver exempt.

Neither one of these would be an issue this year.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
It’s not a stupid way to think and it’s why this team is horrible at developing players. I’d much rather take a shot and play a slightly worse player so he can develop in the long run over a crappy 35 year old who will not help in the playoffs or long term. And like I said, if they can’t cut it by the trade deadline then you make a move and bench them. This team is plenty good to make the playoffs regardless.

This team just has zero clue about developing players, and we’ve quite a few talented players because of it.

NHL is NOT A DEVELOPMENT LEAGUE, AHL is the development league. In the NHL, it's do or die.

So if the young is not able to do more than a 4th line veteran, he doesn't deserve to be there. That's it.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Zero interest in Patio-Ready. Why this franchise continues to target old, broken-down players is beyond me. Extra frustrating because we shouldn't even need to be looking outside of the organization to help fill the hole on LW. Amirov should still be alive and kicking down the door for a spot right now. And Robertson shouldn't feel slighted and should be re-signed already.

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Robertson did not play every game of the playoffs. He was scratched for the deciding game after two straight wins, for the fringe 4th liner they didn't even bother to qualify.
He also didn't get 3rd line minutes in the games he did play. He averaged less than 10 minutes a game, and was 12th among forwards in average ice time.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Zero interest in Patio-Ready. Why this franchise continues to target old, broken-down players is beyond me. Extra frustrating because we shouldn't even need to be looking outside of the organization to help fill the hole on LW. Amirov should still be alive and kicking down the door for a spot right now. And Robertson shouldn't feel slighted and should be re-signed already.

Amirov is obviously very sad situation.

Robertson is definitely the piss off. All the development time invested. Up to this year he cannot stay healthy to save his life. He finally shows something this year and stays healthy and he demands out.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
The Kampf extension + Reaves getting term is definitely a water and oil scenario.

The 4th line and even third line really haven't had much thought put into them.

I've come around to the idea that the real mistake was re-signing Kampf. Reaves was unnecessary but Kampf's extension came first and there was zero reason to do that when Lafferty was still under contract for one more season and Holmberg was ready to go. Lafferty-Reaves would also make more sense together than Kampf-Reaves.

Regardless, I think Dewar-Kampf-Reaves ended up being a decent forechecking force in the last quarter of the season and in the playoffs. Swapping Reaves with Jarnkrok also gives the team a capable shutdown line. Don't know what you do with the other line. Likely becomes a sort of "kid line" with either Holmberg or Minten at centre and then flanking them with McMann or Robertson and whichever of Minten and Holmberg aren't in the middle. Maybe Cowan if he blows the doors off at camp.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Robertson did not play every game of the playoffs. He was scratched for the deciding game after two straight wins, for the fringe 4th liner they didn't even bother to qualify.
He also didn't get 3rd line minutes in the games he did play. He averaged less than 10 minutes a game, and was 12th among forwards in average ice time.

Okay. But what did he do to justify staying in the lineup?

End of the day they swapped one ineffective player for another.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
More than players they put in the lineup.

That’s not really an answer. Robertson didn’t do anything to justify his spot being protected.

I don’t really care about Keefe taking an underperforming player out of the lineup and trying another body on a given night that he thinks can help in some way. Thats playing a hunch. Nothing more.

Did it work? No but the overwhelming odds are Robertson would have done the exact same nothing he’d done all series if they’d played him. So what does it even matter.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I would take a look at Zadina. Why not?
For a PTO? Agree. Tell his agent he gets a some cycles with Matthews or Tavares, Nylander and Marner on the other side, a few games to audition with Matthews and Domi. With something to prove and those players? Could be worth a gamble. Costs nothing to try it. I have serious doubts about him though. I know it was Detroit and the Sharks, but he showed very little. Seems a little arrogant.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Unless you are happy doing the same thing over and over again.

Developing players probably puts you in a better position going forward, but if you're too afraid they might make a mistake ... go coach in NJ.

Reactions: Madap and rumman

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Lmao of course Nick Cousins signs with a team that I hate.

Usually how it goes for players I hate. Usually always signing with a Leaf rival

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
They have like what 5 players on court at a time? We have 18

One player can win you a championship in bb. One player cannot win you jack in NHL
I am more talking about the difference in money both leagues are generating.

Salary cap.
They have that in the NBA too.

But my point had more to do with the difference in money both leagues are bringing in

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
He got a shot, probably need a chance on PP2 but that never came but that is probably there this year if he stay(ed).

I think it's done though, he seems unwilling to sign here.
I'm not sure that a TOI of 9:47 in 6 games is really that good of a 'shot', it's 1.5 minutes less per game than his regular season average. I hope he signs, imo a better way to help the team than trying to get Pac.

Sorry, same was said earlier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad