Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 28 56.0%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 12.0%

• Total voters

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Lol any UFA getting a contract this late into the season is 100% getting a minimum salaries or PTO's

Cap-space isn't an issue here for those type of players. 1yr/1M is the highest im expecting.

There are so many available, I suppose if one wants to play he'll take minimum.

Not good enough for anyone, or holding out for a contender?

I'll go with holding out for a contender.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
It’s all up to Niemela. If he comes in and has a Kaberle style training camp and blows the doors off the competition, great. See you in the NHL. If it’s tepid baby steps in the AHL, then maybe he won’t pan out after all.
Correct - which is why I am proposing moving on before the more likely outcome happens. The Leafs continuously hold onto their prospects for too long until they no longer hold trade value. The last prospect they traded with any value was Durzi/Grundstrom. They should take a Vegas approach of dealing prospects at peak value (Brannstrom, Suzuki, Krebs, Dean). For every Suzuki you get, you usually get more high value prospects that flame out. They turned the 4 aforementioned prospects into Stone, Pacioretty, Barbashev and Eichel.

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
Correct - which is why I am proposing moving on before the more likely outcome happens. The Leafs continuously hold onto their prospects for too long until they no longer hold trade value. The last prospect they traded with any value was Durzi/Grundstrom. They should take a Vegas approach of dealing prospects at peak value (Brannstrom, Suzuki, Krebs, Dean). For every Suzuki you get, you usually get more high value prospects that flame out. They turned the 4 aforementioned prospects into Stone, Pacioretty, Barbashev and Eichel.
And a cup

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I wonder if Ryan Johansen would be worth looking into as a 3C if he loses his grievance case vs Philadelphia and is actually healthy. Seems like an oddball dude with a bit of a reputation, but we wouldn't need him for a 2C spot and presumably he'd be damaged enough goods to come cheap.
God please stay away from that cancer……

Reactions: andora

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Leafs did a good job moving off Sandin last year, but I don’t think Niemela is the kind of pedigree prospect someone else is dying to give you other stuff for. I think the more typical and reasonable approach would be to spend proper time and attention in developing him into a useful player. But would be helpful to see something special out of him in September.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Leafs did a good job moving off Sandin last year, but I don’t think Niemela is the kind of pedigree prospect someone else is dying to give you other stuff for. I think the more typical and reasonable approach would be to spend proper time and attention in developing him into a useful player. But would be helpful to see something special out of him in September.
The Sandin move was optimal and it wasn't a win-now move either which is arguably even better. The deal I am proposing is Niemela for Winterton. A need for need prospect swap.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
With the rumours with Pacioretty choosing a team soon, could be that.
Why would Max choose us?
If all teams are offering PTOs? Why us? As he has no tide with Leafs or Toronto.
If it is a one year contract, a few teams can afford that and then he is gone at TDL.

Would be great if Max signs with us at 950k but doubt it

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It wouldn't have, but it would have satisfied team "whine about salary".
17 players(prior to this coming season) makes 10mil or more in the NHL.
4 of them were reward contracts, Kopitar, Drew, Kane and Toews as they won Cups for their team.

2 were Goalies and both goalies led their team to the Finals and one won a Cup.

3 of them led their team to a Cup either by scoring clutch goals or leading them in scoring or both.

One led his team to the Finals and despite losing the Cup but won the Conn Symthe.

Two never played in the playoffs after signing their 10mil plus contract.

Of the last five, only one of them won more than a round in the playoffs.

The last four only only won ONE round of playoffs while three of them play on the same team.

I would say if you take away those four rewarding contracts due to past Cups win.

Our trio of 10mil plus players should rank closer to the lower end of 10mil plus players than the higher end as they play on the only team that got three 10mil plus players and only won ONE round.

Nobody will say anything about their salaries if they deliver results.

Reactions: HolyCrap

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Here is a list of the remaining NHL free agent left-wingers that are still currently available, courtesy of Spotrac.com

Screenshot 2024-08-26 at 01-38-39 2024 NHL Free Agents.png

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
I'd also look at a prospect swap with Niemela. He is progressing well for his age but the Marlies are loaded at RD (Myers, Mattinen, Villeneuve and maybe Timmins). If the Leafs make a call up I believe it's more likely Berube wants either of Myers/Timmins/Maatinen given their size and their age. Niemela is also 1 year away from waiver eligibility. He will need a spot on the NHL Roster by next season.

A prospect swap for Ryan Winterton could make sense for both sides. Seattle is loaded with U21 C's (Wright, Rehkopf, Catton, Molgaard, Firkus, Goyette). They currently have 1 RD prospect in the AHL. This would be a move from a position of excess for a position of need.

Toronto doesn't have many RD prospects but they also have very little C prospects and no RS C prospects. Winterton would be direct competition with Minten but he is 1 year older. He would be the only RS C on the Leafs depth chart right now and he's played a significant amount of games with Cowan on his wing. Assuming he can step into the NHL over the next season he can ease Cowan into the NHL the following season. Winterton is also local to Toronto.
This is something I would also love to see, although my thought was more along the lines of Niemelä + Kämpf + something for Saad + Dean

Last edited:
Reactions: Americanadian

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I would much rather make a trade with St. Louis around Robertson for Saad (50% retained) than sign Pacioretty, the guy is a bump away from a season ending injury and can barely skate.

Waive Timmins after the St. Louis deal or trade him for the best offer.

Knies - Matthews - Domi
McMann - Tavares - Marner
Saad - Holmberg - Nylander
Dewar - Kampf - Jarnkrok
Reaves

Pretty deep forward group.

Rielly - Tanev
OEL - McCabe
Benoit - Liljegren

Woll - Stolarz

Overall pretty solid.

Last edited:

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Would still like to see a PTO for Comtois.

Nothing to lose and could bring some good size and capably to an area where we are lacking it.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Patches seems like the "obvious" choice for filling that left wing spot. Cheap, veteran (prior captain), hes preformed well when he's been healthy. I would be okay with him, would prefer if they found someone younger for the 2nd/3rd line LW option.

Reactions: SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Why would Max choose us?
If all teams are offering PTOs? Why us? As he has no tide with Leafs or Toronto.
If it is a one year contract, a few teams can afford that and then he is gone at TDL.

Would be great if Max signs with us at 950k but doubt it

Because the Leafs are a good team? A chance to play with Matthews, Nylander and Marner? Maybe he likes what the Leafs have and a shot at playing meaningful hockey. I don't know man.

Pacioretty has had some very tough injuries so there is a gamble but I don't think he's PTO level yet. He'll sign a bonus heavy contract though I suspect.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Here is a list of the remaining NHL free agent left-wingers that are still currently available, courtesy of Spotrac.com

View attachment 903220

Unfortunately not an accurate list. They seem to miss players that have signed in Europe. Afanasyev signed for CKSA Moskow, Comtois is at Dynamo Moskva, Lindblom in SHL, Koivula SHL, Olufsson NL... and so on.

Thanks for this. I thought Lindblom signed in the SHL? Unfortunate what happened to his career.
Yes, the list misses the Euro signings.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Because the Leafs are a good team? A chance to play with Matthews, Nylander and Marner? Maybe he likes what the Leafs have and a shot at playing meaningful hockey. I don't know man.

Pacioretty has had some very tough injuries so there is a gamble but I don't think he's PTO level yet. He'll sign a bonus heavy contract though I suspect.
Well there are quite a few teams that are better than the Leafs. My question again is why the Leafs over the other teams?
The are three teams with in our division that can offer all of what Leafs offers and more. Teams in Florida with their tax advantages and weather, and Boston being closer to his home town.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Well there are quite a few teams that are better than the Leafs. My question again is why the Leafs over the other teams?
The are three teams with in our division that can offer all of what Leafs offers and more. Teams in Florida with their tax advantages and weather, and Boston being closer to his home town.
Neither of Boston or Florida need a top 6/9 LW.

Reactions: Menzinger

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Knies - Matthews - Domi
McMann - Tavares - Marner
Jarnkrok - Holmberg - Nylander
Paccioretty - Dewar - Reaves

(Trade Kampf near training camp like we did Lafferty last year)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad