Erie Otters 2023-24 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Wasn’t he undisciplined a few years ago as well? Or am I mixing him up with someone else? Either way, not a good sign for him..

Per elite prospects no, but doesn't mean he wasn't. I felt like the time under Hartsburg and BJ very undisciplined as a whole team.

Pano scores his 3rd goal of the scrimmage.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Fabbro scores his first goal of a turnover on the forecheck, been playing well at center most of the game IMO.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
How’s frasca been today?
He's been playing well and he and Spence look very comfortable together. They've kept Spence/Frasca/Hammond together for all 3 periods.

Very smart player, doesn't force stuff and seems to create a lot of opportunities. He backchecks very hard. If they keep him and Spence together, will be interesting to see who the 3rd is.

Also, Fimis and Edwards are playing VERY well together today.

Reactions: NOA and frontsfan67

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Defensively: I would say it might be a forgone conclusion barring a trade the defenders are picked:

Schaefer/Sauder or Henry
Daviault/Sauder or Henry

Holomego/Knight/Ambrosio/Coben are the remaining 4. It will be interesting to see if Stan goes with a 5th defender (say Holomego) and then interchanges the others or if one or two (unnamed defender) will be sent down to Juniors exclusively and we have a rotation between Holomego, Coben, and Knight. Ambrosio will likely get minimum games and be sent down. Knight, Holomego, and Coben are all pretty close to one another with regards to skill and all have their pros and cons.

I liked what I saw of Coben and there was a reason they traded for him. Didn't seem to be a puck moving defender but not big enough to be a stay at home defender. I really liked his vision and poise when he had the puck to breakout of the zone. He also does a really good job on the offensive end feeding cross ice passes without them being reckless and sees the ice well as a whole. Not an overwhelming shot, but plays solid.

I didn't watch a lot of Ambrosio in the scrimmage so no real comments here of him.

Holomego should be a stout stay at home guy and will eat up tons of shots when he's on the ice. His command of the ice from a vocal standpoint could be heard today directing players in front of him. He is confident to receive and hold a puck in the defensive end, but a tad slow to get it out. In the offensive zone he holds back a tad, but I don't think he's meant to press deeper like some of our other defenders so that's no fault of his, just doing what's asked.

I thought Knight played well overall. He's a little bigger and mobile, similar to Henry. He CAN move the puck like Ty, but not likely what would be asked of him if he plays significant minutes.

Reactions: NOA

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Goalies:

No one really impressed enough to say, holy cow. If I had to pick one it was the last goalie who was in net for the white team, I believe that was Frattaroli.

Gibbons was there, but not dressed and I don't believe Erlidinen was there at all (cant confirm). Pretty sure Burns also did not play in the scrimmage.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Forwards:

We know Spence, Terrance, Edwards, Fimis, Alfano, Misiak, Frasca, Roysten, Challenger, Messier, and Hammond are probably "locks" to make the roster. Those who skated didn't really seem challenged much by the newer group of players. There COULD be a trade in that group of 11 either prior to or during the season.

I would say Artichuk, Phillips, Toroptsev, Ducharme, Fabbro, and perhaps Visneskie for bubble players.

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
I left after the 2nd period. Did Chase Furlong play goal in the 3rd? Other than Erliden, he's the tender I most wanted to see.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I left after the 2nd period. Did Chase Furlong play goal in the 3rd? Other than Erliden, he's the tender I most wanted to see.

I believe l, but can't be certain, he was the one who got lit up in the 3rd period. Not saying all were his fault and it was just one game.

Reactions: ZinErie

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
not expecting to see him make the roster but how did Jack Clarke looked?

Interested from a British perspective lol

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
He didn't really stand out, but he didn't play poorly. Consistently average at the practices and game I saw, but behind in speed overall (both skating and gameplay). His skating and shot aren't on an OHL level. I would say his vision of the ice and IQ are pretty solid and he did put himself in position to make plays now and then.

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
He didn't really stand out, but he didn't play poorly. Consistently average at the practices and game I saw, but behind in speed overall (both skating and gameplay). His skating and shot aren't on an OHL level. I would say his vision of the ice and IQ are pretty solid and he did put himself in position to make plays now and then.
During yesterday's early scrimmage he made a nice move to get in on goal but was stopped by Fletcher.

Reactions: Mata

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
Interesting note about the roster (maybe just to me), everyone they drafted this season came to camp. That includes all 3 drafts. Can't remember that happening before. Also, does anyone know how we got Jordan McLeod? Free agent?

Reactions: Mata

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
That is a pretty huge win for Erie!

So I guess it is Misiak, Fimis and Alfano locked in?
yes, they traded Sova/McDonald and Smith (who was never making the roster as OA anyways) is not at camp

Pretty good OA trio. Might be best in league? Might be best Erie has ever had, but time will tell on that

OffIceMan

Oct 27, 2013
Interesting note...

Ambrosio and Challenger are both playing with visors on. They are the only two to my knowledge with no OHL minutes to have them on. Perhaps foreshadowing in that both have already made the preseason roster?
I'm guessing they already made the team based on being the 1st 2 draft picks (not sure if the rule exists that a team's 1st 2 picks are guaranteed spots).

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I'm guessing they already made the team based on being the 1st 2 draft picks (not sure if the rule exists that a team's 1st 2 picks are guaranteed spots).
A spot on the team is not guaranteed. Each team can only have four carded 16 yr olds of which the first two selections are counted.

Reactions: OffIceMan

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
A spot on the team is not guaranteed. Each team can only have four carded 16 yr olds of which the first two selections are counted.
I actually think once Erie signs a player, that players gets all their official team gear which would include helmet with visor. So, while possible Ambrosio is here to start the year - it’s also possible he gets sent down early / called up later in the year. But since they signed him, they issued the equipment. Now, signing him does seem to indicate they have plans for him. They aren’t signing too many players who don’t make the roster but we have seen them sign players in the past and send them down

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
In the Otters App to note:

No Artichuk, No Misiak...

Add Molnar and Add Da Silva and Phillips as well as Toroptsev

Defensively Ambrosio was added but Coben was left out.

Goalies Curran was added.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Appears Misiak may have gone to the AHL and we will be playing with Molnar now. Can't confirm other than elite prospects

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240827_140806_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240827_140806_Chrome.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 2

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
Appears Misiak may have gone to the AHL and we will be playing with Molnar now. Can't confirm other than elite prospects
Is that updated? He was with Rockford after Erie was eliminated from the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad