Erie Otters 2023-24 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Is that updated? He was with Rockford after Erie was eliminated from the playoffs.
I don't know...

I just went to it today to start to look for reasons he isn't on the preseason roster and Molnar is. Perhaps a trade in the works, or even just an error haha!

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Unfortunately I couldn’t attend anything with the camps but I am excited to see how the team does in the preseason to better gauge expectations for this season. Really need to see improvements in net if they expect to make a real run in the West and while I’m happy they added Erliden, the backup spot is a major question mark - and that’s assuming Erliden can just step in as a #1 option.. which is too early to feel good about

Last year, Erie went 33-28-5-2. Their best goalie only played 34 games and ranked T-12 for SV% across the league. Their backup goalie situation was pretty horrendous and outside of Fraser, it was painful to watch - they went 7-16-2 and tbh, I’m surprised they got that many wins when looking back at the statistics. Fraser/Gaudreau combined for a record of 26-12-3-2. So, consistently getting at least that goalie production across a full season (.893% combined; which is not too much to ask for) is the the minimum goal. If they can do it, then Erie could improve their win total by about 8-9 games (based on last year’s stats). Now, obviously if their goaltending is even better than that then the ceiling of this team becomes a real contender. Combine that with the development of their young star talent and they could be a sneaky team this year. But, as obvious as this is to say, it starts with the goalie situation. That has plagued this team for years and until they figure it out, it won’t really matter much about the team in front.

Reactions: Moroz and Mata

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Thanks everyone for the scrimmage/training camp updates! It was great to read everyone's thoughts.

Keagan Knight officially signed, looks like Coben Bryan has been cut. A little disappointing he wasn't able to beat out any of the bottom 3 considering he was one of the pieces in the Sova trade, but not a big deal. If I had to guess, they'll probably use the top 4 pretty heavily, running with pairs of:

Schaefer - Henry
Daviault - Sauder

Holomego will probably be a fixture on the third pair, with Knight/Ambrosio rotating in next to him.

Looks like they may be carrying 4 goalies into the preseason, with FA Jackson Curran sticking around. We'll see who wins the backup job, or maybe they'll carry 3 goalies into the regular season.

Reactions: Mata and Moroz

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Thanks everyone for the scrimmage/training camp updates! It was great to read everyone's thoughts.

Keagan Knight officially signed, looks like Coben Bryan has been cut. A little disappointing he wasn't able to beat out any of the bottom 3 considering he was one of the pieces in the Sova trade, but not a big deal. If I had to guess, they'll probably use the top 4 pretty heavily, running with pairs of:

Schaefer - Henry
Daviault - Sauder

Holomego will probably be a fixture on the third pair, with Knight/Ambrosio rotating in next to him.

Looks like they may be carrying 4 goalies into the preseason, with FA Jackson Curran sticking around. We'll see who wins the backup job, or maybe they'll carry 3 goalies into the regular season.

I will say, with Coben not making it out of camp it makes the Sova trade a little worse, at least for now.

I am a little surprised he didn't make it, but as a defender he's a tad smaller than what Stan likes and now the trade is a head scratcher.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Man some CHL teams suuuuuck at providing actual roster updates during camp. It's like the easiest task in the world and so many make it so difficult

Reactions: Mata

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Well, one more piece of the puzzle is filled in...

The move makes sense IMO and not a bad return.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240829_132425_X.jpg
    Screenshot_20240829_132425_X.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Wow
Reactions: ZinErie and NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Well, one more piece of the puzzle is filled in...

The move makes sense IMO and not a bad return.
I know Jacob is still young but a great return imo.. I’m glad they moved on. Makes sense for both parties and hopefully a sign that Erie has better options to turn to

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I'm pretty surprised with the return they got here. I still think Gibbons has potential to be a good goalie, he's only 17 (turns 18 in November) and has great size. Goaltending is a tough position, especially for a young player, but last season was really rough. I wish him the best, I hope he turns it around in Brampton.

Looks like the backup spot comes down to Charlie Burns vs. Jackson Curran. I would think that Burns has the inside track since he's already signed, and showed some flashes of being a good goalie in a limited sample size last season. But they must see something in Curran if they're keeping him around this long.

Excited to see how they do this weekend and what kind of lineups they roll out!

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Opening lines for the first preseason game taken from a friend face post...

"Lines for tonight's first preseason game!

Spence* - Frasca* - Hammond*
Misiak - Terrance - Royston
Molnar - Challenger - Alfano
Da Silva - Clarke - Toroptsev

Schaefer* - Sauder*
Holomego - Henry
Ambrosio - Knight

Burns*
Curran

I would expect that both Burns and Curran play half games tonight."

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Opening lines for the first preseason game taken from a friend face post...

"Lines for tonight's first preseason game!

Spence* - Frasca* - Hammond*
Misiak - Terrance - Royston
Molnar - Challenger - Alfano
Da Silva - Clarke - Toroptsev

Schaefer* - Sauder*
Holomego - Henry
Ambrosio - Knight

Burns*
Curran

I would expect that both Burns and Curran play half games tonight."
Possibly shopping Molnar? I guess it’s still possible they shop Misiak too, even though his value would be much lower. I just want them to keep the better player. I think all signs point to them keeping Misiak but if they do move on from him, and keep Molnar, it gives them flexibility to add an impact OA later in the season, whether forward of defense, which would be more affordable than a 18-19 year old. Something to consider

Reactions: Mata and ZinErie

SouthernOtter

Jan 3, 2015
Based off the preseason lines, looks like Stan wants to roll 3 lines again this year. Personally I would rather load up the top 6.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Haven't seen this mentioned here yet, the Otters signed three players yesterday: Three Players Sign with Erie Ahead of Preseason Opening Weekend - Erie Otters

LW Oliver Phillips, their top pick in the 2024 U18 Draft.
LW Diego Da Silva, 2005 born FA forward. Really high PIM numbers but not a lot of points in the OJHL last season, must think he can add some grit to the bottom 6.
G Jackson Curran, 2007 born FA G. Either he's won the backup job, they're running with 3 goalies, or they might assign him to Port Colborne, the GOJHL team they're starting an affiliation with this season.

Last edited:

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Haven't seen this mentioned here yet, the Otters signed three players yesterday: Three Players Sign with Erie Ahead of Preseason Opening Weekend - Erie Otters

LW Oliver Phillips, their top pick in the 2024 U18 Draft.
LW Diego Da Silva, 2005 born FA forward. Really high PIM numbers but not a lot of points in the OJHL last season, must think he can add some grit to the bottom 6.
G Jackson Curran, 2007 born FA G. Either he's won the backup job, they're running with 3 goalies, or they might assign to to Port Colborne, the GOJHL team they're starting an affiliation with this season.

Phillips looked good in the scrimmage I saw and camp.

Da Silva is a strange one to me. He was in 2 fights in the scrimmages and his PIM from the previous season were heavily skewed in that, how does one expect him to help the team if he is ALWAYS in the box?

As far as Curran, we have to figure out the goalie situation and with Gibbons being sent away, he was likely not the answer they were looking for.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Da Silva is a strange one to me. He was in 2 fights in the scrimmages and his PIM from the previous season were heavily skewed in that, how does one expect him to help the team if he is ALWAYS in the box?
Not only that but with the rules on fighting, he’s not going to offer much if by mid October or early November he is capped out on fights for the year…

This isn’t 2010 where a player like that has a spot. Such a bizarre signing. Couldn’t find anyone else, seriously, nobody else to give them more than that…??

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Not only that but with the rules on fighting, he’s not going to offer much if by mid October or early November he is capped out on fights for the year…

This isn’t 2010 where a player like that has a spot. Such a bizarre signing. Couldn’t find anyone else, seriously, nobody else to give them more than that…??
Look at the rosters of the other teams in the division. Seems they all have at least one of those type this year. I agree it's odd in today's game but for whatever reason those teams have decided they want that element on their roster.

London has Ryder Boulton
Guelph has Ryan McGuire(assuming he sticks as one of their OAs)
Kitchener has Antonino Pugliese and recently signed a couple other players of that type
Owen Sound has chosen to keep FA forward Ty Therrien.

Reactions: Mata and NOA

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
2 goals for Jack Clarke?

Give him the C and hang his name from the rafters! (but for real, what are those scorelines?)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad