Confirmed with Link: Pascal Vincent Named Laval Rocket Head Coach

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Very good point.

Looks to me like Vincent was asked to be Babcock by Columbus management, who clearly thought Babcock was the ideal coach for their team. He failed at being Babcock, which is kinda good news. I'll wait to see how things work out with the Rocket this year before judging him.
Dollars to doughnuts that upper management in Cbus thought that their youth was in dire need of structure and hard asses, thus freaking Mike Babcock.

Then Vincent was asked to apply that same message to the team. I have NO knowledge of that but the hiring of Babcock is enough for me to entertain that possibility.

In Manitoba, the Jets found a coach that brought in good prospects to the main team. Albeit a slow burn, but when they got the chance, they performed well.

Reactions: Shred

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Surprised people seem largely against this. Basu and godin discussed the possibility on their podcast a few weeks ago and I was sold on it. I don't remember all the points, but they made a very strong case for him.
Meh,

They could have hired the second coming of Scotty Bowman and some guys on here would still be pissed because they think they know better than guys that do this for a living.

Some guys just complain about anything and everything.......

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Surprised people seem largely against this. Basu and godin discussed the possibility on their podcast a few weeks ago and I was sold on it. I don't remember all the points, but they made a very strong case for him.
I'm not expert and will give him the benefit of the doubt for now, but there certainly are some red flags (And some green ones) so it shouldn't be too surprising that lots of people are against it. And the nature of a board like this is that those that are against it will post, whereas most people probably have little opinion on the matter and so remain silent.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I don't know the details from Vincent's exit interviews that Waddell referenced as concerning (or something like that) but Waddell's a certified idiot for saying that in public. Waddell's the moron who went back on his word with Gainey on Moose Hedberg on the trade deadline day when Habs traded Huet. f*** Waddell.

Hughes and Gorton do their homework and due diligence on every important acquisition. I don't know Vincent personally but if they're comfortable with him after extensive interviewing and thorough discussions of their expectations, we should probably feel comfortable as well. They weren't going to bring in the next Sly Lefebvre. Vincent has a crazy amount of experience and a good track record as an AHL head coach from a development perspective.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
He was a bully, plain and simple.
Typically, bullies are low IQ with very low self-esteem, always trying to take others down in an effort to make themselves look good..
If this is who HUGO hired to take charge of our prospects' growth then that is a shame..

Personally, I've never heard of the guy as a developer.. but if he pulls the crap with Laval he was doing while HC of Columbus then shame on Hugo...

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
Pretty much nobody who played under his command in the LHJMQ became a good NHL player. He coached Angelo Esposito and Louis Leblanc and both looked absolutely not ready when they became pro. It doesn't look much better in the AHL. Only notable player he ever coached in junior and AHL who did not disapoint is Kyle Connor for 52 games. We are talking about a 16 years sample size. Vincent resume looks a lot like Sly with the exception that he has junior experience.
And Dominique Ducharme looks a lot like Scotty Bowman after coaching MacKinnon, (Drouin), Ehlers and Weegar in juniors, + a Stanley Cup final in his first year as head coach.

Typically, bullies are low IQ with very low self-esteem, always trying to take others down in an effort to make themselves look good..
If this is who HUGO hired to take charge of our prospects' growth then that is a shame..
I don't think the bully quote was in reference to Pascal Vincent

Reactions: dgeezus and Walksss

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

Personally, I've never heard of the guy as a developer.. but if he pulls the crap with Laval he was doing while HC of Columbus then shame on Hugo...
They where talking about Therrien not Vincent

Jul 6, 2016
I would had prefer Vincent to become MSL’s assistant at NHL level. I would had liked a newer, younger guy at AHL level.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Huge difference between NHL & AHL coaching. Columbus was a terrible situation for him.

Columbus had a ton of injuries and majority of their young guys played. Johnson & Jiricek are management decisions, and frankly Jiricek sucked in his NHL games. Johnson was busting before Vincent ever showed up. But, he played other young players like Sillinger, Fantili, Voronkov, and Marchanko.

In the AHL, he's going to be expected to help develop the young players while instilling a winning culture.

He did well with Winnipeg's far team. Connor, Copp, B. Lemieux, B. Tanev, Roslovic, Appleton, etc all played for him in AHL. In fact, he easily had 1-3 AHL players develop into NHL players every year as coach of Moose.
A Columbus fan with peace and sorry my English.

You are right. Jarmo (GM) promised Jiříček he will play in the NHL. But RHD Boqvist, Gudbranson and Severson played better. That's why they sent him to the AHL, to play a lot of minutes, in all situations.

Johnson lacked the strength. He was easily pushed off the puck by opponents. Besides, let's not forget the second season effect.

Voronkov had conditioning issues, so there were games in which he played less.

And now the good.

Thanks to him Voronkov and Chinachov improved their play. He wasn't afraid to move Dima at center and Yegor gradually started to play shorthanded.

The same goes for Boqvist. Unfortunately, because of Severson and Jiříček he was bought out, even though he played better than them. I have a feeling he asked to be traded.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

They were talking about Therrien. And I'm surprised that you've never heard that Vincent has a reputation as a developer, that's been the public discourse for a while now.

And a lot of the "stuff" he pulled in Columbus feels like it lacks context. He was strict with veterans too (especially Severson) and also stuck his neck out to protect guys.

Honestly, a lot of the **** that happened in Columbus is down to both the fact he became HC days before the season started and the fact the mindset in Columbus was to try to make the playoffs (at least that seemed to be what Kekalainen was selling). And FWIW, a lot of their young guys showed growth over last season.

He won AHL coach of the year with the Moose, lets not pretend he's some awful coach that doesn't know what he's doing. Some of the reaction both in favour and against his hiring seem excessive. It feels like a we'll see how it goes situation, but I don't think there were any can't miss bilingual candidates for the job.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
They were talking about Therrien. And I'm surprised that you've never heard that Vincent has a reputation as a developer, that's been the public discourse for a while now.

And a lot of the "stuff" he pulled in Columbus feels like it lacks context. He was strict with veterans too (especially Severson) and also stuck his neck out to protect guys.

Honestly, a lot of the **** that happened in Columbus is down to both the fact he became HC days before the season started and the fact the mindset in Columbus was to try to make the playoffs (at least that seemed to be what Kekalainen was selling). And FWIW, a lot of their young guys showed growth over last season.

He won AHL coach of the year with the Moose, lets not pretend he's some awful coach that doesn't know what he's doing. Some of the reaction both in favour and against his hiring seem excessive. It feels like a we'll see how it goes situation, but I don't think there were any can't miss bilingual candidates for the job.
Not everyone wants to hit the bus in AHL after touching the NHL. I guess they wanted someone who would not be an AHL rookie to replace Houle, who was in the process until he chose otherwise.

durojean

May 29, 2007
Until proven otherwise, i’m on board whit this.

He was put in command of a crashing and burning plane and was ask to play the vets. That won’t be the case in Laval.
I feel like he wanted to build a culture in colombus so he gave ice time to those who executed what he asked.

Players did not like him because he did
Not want to take shortcuts and let them play like they wanted.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
He doesn't need to worry about appeasing vet egos in the AHL so I don't see an issue yet.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Well shit... I'm shocked, I wasn't expecting him to take an AHL job... at all. I guess HuGo really wanted him, we'll see if it was a mistake or not.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Seems like a Jekill and Hyde candidate. Hard to say which of the two we will get, right now. Hopefully the braintrust sounded him out about the Hyde component at Columbus and are satisfied with his answers.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
I see posters losing their minds over this hire because of what transpired with CBJ with Marchenko, Jiricek and Johnson.

Vincent said it well in his presser: coaching and developing young guys in the AHL or on a (very weak and dysfunctional) NHL team are two different worlds. I'm willing to believe that. His resume was very solid with Manitoba, and that's more important to me than what might have happened with Blue Jackets prospects during a shit show of a 23-24 season down there.

Too lazy to go back and quote reply someone who argued earlier in the thread that PV slowed down Louis Leblanc's progression back in 2009 with the Montreal Junior. My goodness, that's grasping at straws, big time. LL simply wasn't committed enough to being a good professional player.

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Well shit... I'm shocked, I wasn't expecting him to take an AHL job... at all. I guess HuGo really wanted him, we'll see if it was a mistake or not.

it's almost like Hughes and Gorton think that he is a good coach and a good fit in Laval. They probably could have checked with this board as there are many insightful contributors who could expertly click on Hockeydb and made them aware of his record. Who do these clowns posing as Montreal Canadiens management think they are and what exactly are their qualifications........:sarcasm:

It will always be the same people making the same baseless arguments with the only evidence being the contrarian bias in their own heads that they continually refer back to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad