Confirmed with Link: Pascal Vincent Named Laval Rocket Head Coach

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Also, compared to JF Houle, anyone is better.

We can rag on JF Houle because he wasn't perfect. But one thing we can say is that he developed the players enough that when they got called up, it was seamless. To different degrees of course because the talent level from player to player is different. But he prepared them pretty well.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I think this will be a good hire. He has a good track record and lots of experience and the Habs have lots of good prospects. The Habs were sort of lucky he was available TBH.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Jesus they tried to get Groulx. They really wanted to make a bad hire.
Yeah Groulx is resta bad communicator

IMG_2082.png
IMG_2081.png

Attachments

• IMG_2080.png
    IMG_2080.png
    207.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2082.png
    IMG_2082.png
    201.3 KB · Views: 3

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Dude, the last time he coached junior hockey was 2011. That was 13 years ago! People can grow & learn, you know.

Johnson isn't his problem. He was busting before he got there. Jiricek was shit in NHL, and is a management decision not a coaching one. If the G.M wanted Jiricek to play in NHL, he would have played.

He did extremely well coaching Winnipeg's minor league team. A lot of quality NHLers came up while being coached by him, including Connor, Perfetti, Copp, Roslovic, Appleton, B. Tanev, and more.
Michael Therrien grew and learned. Twice.

• Love
Reactions: the

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Personally I love it. Looks like a real passionate coach. Spending long nights at the arena, always thinking about the game even at home, etc.

He had a shit team in Columbus, can’t judge him on that season.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
27-43 is actually quite impressive with that lineup

Johnson/Sillinger suck no wonder they hired Timmins

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
For those who haven't been paying attention, the Habs do not rely on the AHL coach for development of young players - the head coach doesn't even run some of the practices.

Laval has become a juggernaut - making the playoffs are also imperative. The obviously wanted someone with experience as a bench boss. Vincent will adapt to the organizational structure and I am sure he understands the process.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
We have a peewee coach in the NHL , do you guys think Marty turns CBJ around or something? The pitchforks seem to be a bit much for a AHL hiring. Columbus was dog meat , so were we.

They got their QC hiring quota and added a guy with a decade of assistant coach and head coaching experience in the NHL.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Am I happy about this hiring?

Not really.

That being said, with what we've heard, it sounds like they did their due diligence big time with the interview process and considering that they are seen as a tough interview for prospects, I'm guessing they weren't afraid to bring up his disappointing stint with the CBJ and were satisfied with his answer. He does have some redeeming qualities on his resume but I'll be in wait and see mode. What I'm willing to concede is that he was probably handed the worst kind of opportunity a rookie coach could be given with the whole Babcock debacle. It is similar in a way to Ducharme but a lot worse. Here's hoping it was just being at the wrong place at the wrong time more so than a comment on his coaching. I do recall this guy being considered multiple times as a potential HC candidate for him never to be hired à la Mathieu Darche so that does concern me a little as well. This guy has been on the map for a while and was only handed his first shot after a total shit show occurred.

This is not a case of no one being interested for the job due to it being located in a bad spot (see St. John's) but it does sound like some strong candidates passed on the offer.

Reactions: Rozz

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
A bit surprising to me, I was kind of expecting an ex-player with very little coaching experience. Not thrilled with the stuff from CLB, but he seemed to do well with the Peg's farm team so I'll certainly give him the benefit of the doubt for now. In the end it's about how much he fits into the teams overall coaching & development philosophy. I can certainly buy the idea that he's better suited to be an AHL coach where his mandate isn't simply to win as many games as possible as opposed to the NHL job where the mandate probably was do whatever to win.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
We can rag on JF Houle because he wasn't perfect. But one thing we can say is that he developed the players enough that when they got called up, it was seamless. To different degrees of course because the talent level from player to player is different. But he prepared them pretty well.
If the comments during Laval games are any indication, I’d say there’s about 5 of us who actually watch the games.

Reactions: habsfan891 and jrom

Mikah

Feb 19, 2018
A bit surprising to me, I was kind of expecting an ex-player with very little coaching experience. Not thrilled with the stuff from CLB, but he seemed to do well with the Peg's farm team so I'll certainly give him the benefit of the doubt for now. In the end it's about how much he fits into the teams overall coaching & development philosophy. I can certainly buy the idea that he's better suited to be an AHL coach where his mandate isn't simply to win as many games as possible as opposed to the NHL job where the mandate probably was do whatever to win.
Yea, I think we agree that with the Lefebvre fiasco, they won't go down that route anymore.

Vincent is interesting because he has a lot of experience at different level, so he is not just a door opener. He likely can go a bit deeper with strategies and roster management.

To me, what is really important at this point for the organization is that he gets a clear mandate of developing young talents, and that he is being held acccountable for the results. What I am afraid of however, is that the organization may decide that making the playoffs is more important. On one hand, you want to raise the prospects in a winning environment, but not to the point of giving more icetime to veterans to achieve that.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I read that MSL praised Columbus D play last season, the choice might have been made with that in mind, especially with all the young Ds starting their pro-career.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Suzuki was also on the 4th line wing as a rookie. Earn your ice time bro. It should be easy on a garbage team.

Jiricek can’t defend. No surprise there with the limited time.

Kent Johnson just isn’t that good.

Again, sounds like a dogshit organization trying to blame the guy that didn’t expect to be the coach.
14 min for a rookie Defenseman is not low. People want rookies to play 19 hard minutes with PP just to claim that they've been rushed in after 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad