Rumor: Pagnotta: John Klingberg has requested a trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He only has 1 season in his career where 8 mil was maybe a realistic target to get and that was his 67 pt campaign. His pt totals have dropped since then. Still a really good defenceman, but I can't see him getting much more than 7X7 from someone. A contender would likely not go higher than 6-6.5 long term, seeing as he is 29 already and 30 before next season hits.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Strong offense can have just as much of an effect on GA as your defense, when you're possessing the puck most of the time. Let's not pretend that Toronto's group is anywhere near the quality of Colorado's or Tampa's or Carolina's.

And yes, 23 is an old age to break into the third pairing, especially for a 1st round pick. Reality is, Liljegren would struggle to make even Detroit's group. He's very much dime a dozen and does nothing to move the needle in a Klingberg trade.
Liljegrin was on the second pairing before the stop/christmas and covid. He was looking fantastic there with Muzz and is showing he still very much has top pairing potential.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Didn't Pagnotta talk about how Klingberg would be traded for Seth Jones in the Offseason ? I don't trust a word coming from him

Reactions: Morrison

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
Or

pavelski 50%
Klingberg 50%
Hintz or faska
Holtby

mrazek
Ritchie
Holl
Kerfoot
Engvall
Robertson
1st

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
How much is he likely to get on the open market? 7-8? He was grossly underpaid for that 7 year deal so hes probably gonna want as much as possible this year.
He deserves at least 8x8. Sad as a Stars fan to know we’re going to lose him; hopefully we get a good return in the least. Congrats to Klingberg as well and will watch him wherever he ends up going.

Reactions: Dr Pepper

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The request doesn't matter, he's not going anywhere until the TDL and only then if the Stars are out of the hunt.

Dallas can’t afford to let him walk for nothing.

There’s already lot of work needed and after that a huge amount on work to do

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Strong offense can have just as much of an effect on GA as your defense, when you're possessing the puck most of the time. Let's not pretend that Toronto's group is anywhere near the quality of Colorado's or Tampa's or Carolina's.

And yes, 23 is an old age to break into the third pairing, especially for a 1st round pick. Reality is, Liljegren would struggle to make even Detroit's group. He's very much dime a dozen and does nothing to move the needle in a Klingberg trade.
Reality is you don't know much about Liljegren's current play. He's a young cheap right-handed defender that has been promising. That's tremendous value especially to a team up against the cap like Toronto.

Really ignorant cutting down players just because they haven't walked into the league and have become Makar. Liljegren wouldn't be available.

Reactions: Knies iT

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Ehh, Jarmo quite literally just had this problem with Jones. But Jarmo also turned that into Boqvist, Sillinger, and another possible Top 10 pick this year. Nill doesn't have that in him. (Jones being RFA helped)

Then again, Stan Bowman was a trash GM too.

Jones was 1 year from UFA and gave 2 teams he was willing to sign longterm and still got that

Reactions: Gifu

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Reality is you don't know much about Liljegren's current play. He's a young cheap right-handed defender that has been promising. That's tremendous value especially to a team up against the cap like Toronto.

Really ignorant cutting down players just because they haven't walked into the league and have become Makar. Liljegren wouldn't be available.

Cool. I'm sure DAL will gladly send Klingberg somewhere that can offer better than a late 1st, a third pairing D, and waiver fodder.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
He only has 1 season in his career where 8 mil was maybe a realistic target to get and that was his 67 pt campaign. His pt totals have dropped since then. Still a really good defenceman, but I can't see him getting much more than 7X7 from someone. A contender would likely not go higher than 6-6.5 long term, seeing as he is 29 already and 30 before next season hits.
He’s played most of his career for very defense first coaches in Hitchcock, Montgomery and Bones. If he’d been on a Penguins, Caps, Avalanche type of offensive game his numbers would be a lot better. At the same time he is 29 but I would sign him for 8x8; unfortunately my Stars can’t afford it.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He’s played most of his career for very defense first coaches in Hitchcock, Montgomery and Bones. If he’d been on a Penguins, Caps, Avalanche type of offensive game his numbers would be a lot better. At the same time he is 29 but I would sign him for 8x8; unfortunately my Stars can’t afford it.

My worry would be, 3 years in he starts to decline and 8 becomes an anchor. Sharks signed not 1, but 3, 30 year old defenders to long, big money deals and it has locked them into a not great situation.

Reactions: Morrison

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Like Dermott, Amirov/Knies, Niemela and a 1st? Leafs have the pieces to make a deal. It just depends if they think its worth it.
Never said you didn't, I said what as offered wasn't good.

And then there's the part where Toronto would be purely trading to acquire him as a rental. They don't have the cap to keep him.

Reactions: Atomos2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad