Rumor: Pagnotta: John Klingberg has requested a trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
That doesnt explain the trade demand though.

He wants to be traded to a team that will negotiate a new contract with him now?
Every game he plays he's risking not getting a giant payday to injury. Likely very top of mind to him as he had a pretty nasty looking one the very first game of this season.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
That doesnt explain the trade demand though.

He wants to be traded to a team that will negotiate a new contract with him now?

Yes, the trade request came earlier in the season when negotiations fell apart, we're just hearing about it now. He doesn't seem all that interested in testing free agency, just finding a team that will give him an $8x8 right now. The injury he suffered in the first game of the season probably gave him a bit of a scare, and he seems to prefer security over the risk associated with extracting maximum value on his next deal.

Reactions: CanuckCity

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
This rumor really doesn’t make sense. Since when do players on expiring deals request trades? They just simply don’t re-sign. It’s not like Dallas is a bottom feeder.

Something doesn’t seem right about the rumor unless it’s a negotiation tactic by the agent and Pagnotta is his buddy.

All that said, if for whatever reason this is actually somehow true, I’d love to find a way to get Nick Robertson and some picks out of it. But if you trade Klingberg, there’s no reason to keep Pavelski or Radulov, so that’s even more bizarre.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Canucks should be interestd.

They need a Right Shot Dman.

4.5 Mil, expiring contract tho.

Might just be better to wait on him when he becomes a UFA this summer.

29 yrs old.

Why does he want out of Dallas?

Is it because he is getting limitied Powerplay time? offensive situations?

If thats the case I dont think he would like Vancouver either as Hughes pretty much eats up all those situations.
I don’t see it. How the hell does Vancouver re-sign him after this year? Especially if he is looking for 8y x $8mm AAV as has been previously reported?

Hughes $7.85mm
OEL $7.25mm
Myers $6.00mm
Klingberg $8.00mm

That’s over $29mm committed to your top-4. That’s more than the San Jose Sharks paying Karlsson, Burns, and Vlasic.

Reactions: bh53

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
This rumor really doesn’t make sense. Since when do players on expiring deals request trades? They just simply don’t re-sign. It’s not like Dallas is a bottom feeder.

Something doesn’t seem right about the rumor unless it’s a negotiation tactic by the agent and Pagnotta is his buddy.
Not saying this is for sure the case, but Jack Johnson requested one in his contract year because he thought he'd get a bigger role on a different team that would increase his free agent value. Of course funnily enough it wasn't granted and he got that ridiculous deal from the Penguins anyways :laugh:

Reactions: BHD

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010

All that said, if for whatever reason this is actually somehow true, I’d love to find a way to get Nick Robertson and some picks out of it. But if you trade Klingberg, there’s no reason to keep Pavelski or Radulov, so that’s even more bizarre.

I think he knows he isn't re signing in Dallas, and he also thinks Dallas isn't a contender this year, so he wants a trade to a contender.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'm assuming he'd want to test the market this summer? He'll still cost quite a bit, even as a rental. What's the starting point, a 1st and 2nd?

BHD

Here comes Skinner
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I am under the impression that Esa Lindell is Bowness' go-to guy in OT. I'd request a trade too if that were true. I think Sean Shapiro said something to that effect on a podcast.

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park
Take it with a grain of salt since it's Pagnotta, but still

Im an oiler fan so i havent watched stars games but you think at tdl if theyre still out theyd trade holtby, pavelski, klingberg, sekera, radulov? Not saying id be interested in all of them from my oilers perspective but with them on all expiring contracts they could resign them in the offseason but just purely rental to get assets back?

Last edited:

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
I am under the impression that Esa Lindell is Bowness' go-to guy in OT. I'd request a trade too if that were true. I think Sean Shapiro said something to that effect on a podcast.

No, they basically always start with Heiskanen-Raffl-Faksa and if they lose the draw, they have their best defensive players out there and if they win the draw the two forwards come off and Pavelski & Hintz come on.

Reactions: BHD

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Hey Dallas fans - are you guys expecting a full rebuild? You’ve got some quality vets and some good young pieces. Doesn’t seem to be working out.

Will the Stars tear it down to the 26 year olds, and fire-sell the older guys? Restock the cupboards?

How do you guys feel about the prospect pool? Needs some help?

Whether it’s this year or next, I think we’re heading for some kind of rebuild. This year would be a good start with Klinger, Pavs, Radulov, Holtby etc all UFA’s

Dallas imo needs some help in the D and goaltending area for prospects. They’ve got some good forwards that could workout, they could also use a McDavid level forward lol

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
There have been whispers out there that the talks had become acrimonious as Klingberg’s camp believes he should be paid as a No. 1 and the Stars don’t want to match Heiskanen’s deal. I wouldn’t be surprised if he has taken it personally.

He’s very good at driving transition and offence, but can make some real mistakes positionally on D. I think he has a tough time with reads at times.

I don’t think the deal at the rumoured ask and term will look very good in the future, so it makes sense to move him.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
1. He can sign an 8 year deal to a team he's traded no? If he goes UFA he can only sign 7 years.
2. He can still chase a cup this year and Dallas can make some assets for it since they are most likely not a contender, so it's doing a favor for the club.

What are the chances of him re-signing? Heiskanen is the #1 now, maybe Klindberg wants to be that #1 guy. I'm sure there are teams who are looking for one.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Had a very solid year last season but struggled this season and his frustration is obvious.
Good D. Would be solid addition to a contender.
Best fit?
Toronto ,Edmonton? Neither could really afford it

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Canucks should be interestd.

They need a Right Shot Dman.

4.5 Mil, expiring contract tho.

Might just be better to wait on him when he becomes a UFA this summer.

29 yrs old.

Why does he want out of Dallas?

Is it because he is getting limitied Powerplay time? offensive situations?

If thats the case I dont think he would like Vancouver either as Hughes pretty much eats up all those situations.
We are one of the few teams that won't be interested. He's an RD which we need, but he basically brings the same skill set as Hughes, OEL, and (not comparing levels of contribution, just style) Jack Rathbone.

We need RD who are a little more stout and solid. Paying a premium for a top pp quarterback and puckmover doesn't make sense when we couldn't utilize many of his best skills here.

Heck of a player though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad