Rumor: Pagnotta: John Klingberg has requested a trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
You got make the money work some but I'd be willing to talk about Amirov, Robertson, 1sts rounders, Nemela, not all oif them would go in the same deal obviously.

But if I'm Dubas nothing is off limits because I think Klingberg is a difference maker and for a difference maker I will talk about almost anything.
Fully support this! And he is such a heart and soul player! We can really use him!!!

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I'm a huge Benn fan and I like Seguin, especially how big that trade was for the Stars. Both of those guys earned their contracts. That doesn't mean that you have to make the same mistake again, though. Frankly, Klingberg may end up playing to his new contract more than Benn or Seguin have, and walking away is probably the right thing for Dallas.

I am a huge Klingberg fan and have been since his rookie year. We hadn't seen a D-man with his skill set since Zubov when he arrived. I hope Klingberg gets big money; I think he still has big point producing ability. I don't think Dallas should be the one to give it to him.
Thanks for the confirmation. Although I'm not a Stars fan, I did live in Houston before Korea and got to see them play some. I'm fine with your opinion as a fan on them walking away from Klingberg, but I just took umbrage with this notion that Benn and Sequin didn't live up to their contract. It'd be like saying Thornton, Pavleski and Marleau didn't live up to their contracts. Sharks had one of the best winning percentages and Dallas was / is a perennial competitive team. They did their job. Only one team wins the Stanley Cup every year.

Again, totally fine with there being other logical reasons to walk away from Klingberg, but the Benn / Sequin argument is the silliest of them all.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Expiring and asking for a trade doesn't usually equal a significant piece.
If teams want him they want him. Dallas doesn't have to trade him, regardless. He is still a very skilled RHD who had a massive postseason two years ago with like 20 pts in 26 games. If he's traded, the return will be good.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If teams want him they want him. Dallas doesn't have to trade him, regardless. He is still a very skilled RHD who had a massive postseason two years ago with like 20 pts in 26 games. If he's traded, the return will be good.

Am I missing something here? Klingberg would be a deadline rental if traded. Or are you talking sign/trade? Dallas doesn't have to trade him? They going to let him walk to UFA?

As a rental, he will return solid futures yes. Stars use him in an offensive role (over 60% of offensive zone starts). I don't believe his is complete in his own end and based on usage, they are clearly trying to shelter his D zone coverage. People can say +/- is garbage but he's among the worse +/- with the Stars over the last 3 seasons now (in fact, he had the worse +/- rating 3 years in a row now including this season). It's not like he gets used in a defensive role and gets a (-) because of usage. They barely used him on the PK. Might be part of the reason why the Stars and Klingberg can't come to terms. Klingberg wants to be paid as a complete D man and the Stars want to pay him as an offensive type with D zone sheltering required. I'm on the Stars side on this one. I think $6.5M or $7M is the highest I would go. And his agent is probably asking for $8M+ cause they probably get that in the UFA market.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stubu and Get North

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd be happy with Sandin as a part of it.

Sandin and Leafs 1st for Klingberg in a sign/trade? Leafs might bite on that but not sure they have the cap space to do it even if they get him on a value contract (which he will not sign). You will be asked to take on salary. Right now, they have 15 players signed with a little over $6M in cap space and one of those guys they have to sign is Campbell.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Right shot PP QB who can play 20+ a night returns a significant piece at the deadline since that is a massive upgrade just about any team would die for
Fair.
Wasn't saying he would get a 'bad' return. Tbh It was after I saw someone say they'd want William Nylander.

You're looking at rental price , maybe more depending on the market.

1st + Mid Prospect + meh roster player.

Not a significant piece like WN ; for an expiring contract.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
If a trade occurs i doubt it would be as a rental. Klingberg has been given permission to chat to other GMs since early in season, to me that means weeding out who he would get a contract desired off, so dallas could organise a sign and trade.

The trade price should be thought of factoring a extension in play

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Leafs and Stars writers on the Athletic did a neat little collaboration on how Klingberg to Toronto might make a heckuva lot of sense.

A lot depends on how well Dallas fares in the next month or so. If they plummet out of the wild card mix, I could see Toronto as a frontrunner.

Reactions: Stubu

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
If a trade occurs i doubt it would be as a rental. Klingberg has been given permission to chat to other GMs since early in season, to me that means weeding out who he would get a contract desired off, so dallas could organise a sign and trade.

There's no guarantee that the type of team looking to make a move in season will be willing to give him that big contract either. Hamilton and Jones got paid last Summer by teams looking to take a step to just make the playoffs, for example. Carolina has been mentioned in the rumor mill specifically and the odds that he's anything more than a rental to the Canes, at least initially, are poor.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
There's no guarantee that the type of team looking to make a move in season will be willing to give him that big contract either. Hamilton and Jones got paid last Summer by teams looking to take a step to just make the playoffs, for example. Carolina has been mentioned in the rumor mill specifically and the odds that he's anything more than a rental to the Canes, at least initially, are poor.
He’s been allowed to speak with other GMs for an extension so we’ll see.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Am I missing something here? Klingberg would be a deadline rental if traded. Or are you talking sign/trade? Dallas doesn't have to trade him? They going to let him walk to UFA?

I'm not talking sign and trade. I'm talking strictly as a rental. The post I was commenting on mentioned him asking for a trade and implying it would hurt his trade value. I'm saying that even if he has asked for a trade, which doesn't seem to be a concrete fact at this point, he will be a pure rental. And his value will be determined purely by how many teams want him and how much they are willing to give up. Klingberg being unhappy with his (probably) soon to be former team due to lack of negotiations won't change how many teams want him.

This Klingberg being unhappy stuff is basically him negotiating through the media. I'm sure the team has said all of the "we love you and of course we want to keep you" things, and kicked the can as far as they can. Understandably, Klingberg would like to know his future and probably mentally prepare himself to leave.

The Stars are a few points out of the playoffs at this point. So yes, they can keep him and try to make the playoffs and let him walk in the offseason. Unless they fall way out of the race, I imagine that is the route they will take.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia

It won't necessarily be a sign and trade just because they can talk contract with other teams. For Klingberg's sake, he would most likely be better off getting traded with no extension in place to a very good team on a Cup run. Play well in the playoffs and the offers will be there. His last two years' stats aren't amazing but he is still a hell of an offensive defenseman.

If he doesn't play great, it likely won't hurt his price much at all. Sometimes new players, especially D-men, don't mesh well with their new teams for a month or two. That's easy to write off. If you do the opposite, you will almost certainly see the money increase.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Bowness has called him out after last night's game, implied he wanted to scratch him today to send a message, and then today put him on the 3rd pairing

SlyIslands

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Bowness has called him out after last night's game, implied he wanted to scratch him today to send a message, and then today put him on the 3rd pairing

Put on the 3rd pair in a contract year, yeah he will get traded no doubt. Carolina would be a great spot for him, maybe on a pair with Slavin to balence his defensive liability.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Here's Bowness' comments on him..I can't believe this is real lol. Basically, he wants Klingberg to stop worrying so much about the offensive side of things and stop leading the rush....this wouldn't be a problem if the team could score goals

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Here's Bowness' comments on him..I can't believe this is real lol. Basically, he wants Klingberg to stop worrying so much about the offensive side of things and stop leading the rush....this wouldn't be a problem if the team could score goals

Won’t change until Nill is fired. Bowness is clearly clueless. I’m sure klingberg looked at him like he was insane.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Ryan Suzuki
Ethan Bear
Day 2 pick of some sort

for

Klingberg (Some retention, but no extension)

Unintentionally resembles the Justin Faulk trade to an extent. Carolina already used its 1st on the Kotkaniemi offer sheet; Suzuki is closest prospect in value to that pick, save for Jarvis of course (Bokk). Bear is a body to get the Stars through a season that isn't lost (Edmundson). Carolina retained on Faulk for a full season and he came with an extension, which is not wanted in this case, but Klingberg is a bigger name; the pick sort of balances things out.

Don't know if that's a winning bid, but I wouldn't expect more than this from the primary listed suitor up to this point.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Won’t change until Nill is fired. Bowness is clearly clueless. I’m sure klingberg looked at him like he was insane.

His comments there make me realize now why Heiskanen is so passive offensively all of a sudden...they're literally told to be...

Just ridiculous

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad