Rumor: Pagnotta: John Klingberg has requested a trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
His comments there make me realize now why Heiskanen is so passive offensively all of a sudden...they're literally told to be...

Just ridiculous
Here I have been blaming Miro for a crap season…well still his fault for listening to this crap coach.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Ryan Suzuki
Ethan Bear
Day 2 pick of some sort

for

Klingberg (Some retention, but no extension)

Unintentionally resembles the Justin Faulk trade to an extent. Carolina already used its 1st on the Kotkaniemi offer sheet; Suzuki is closest prospect in value to that pick, save for Jarvis of course (Bokk). Bear is a body to get the Stars through a season that isn't lost (Edmundson). Carolina retained on Faulk for a full season and he came with an extension, which is not wanted in this case, but Klingberg is a bigger name; the pick sort of balances things out.

Don't know if that's a winning bid, but I wouldn't expect more than this from the primary listed suitor up to this point.
So no chance of getting Jarvis? How about another Finnish player? I think they have some in their system.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Ryan Suzuki
Ethan Bear
Day 2 pick of some sort

for

Klingberg (Some retention, but no extension)

Unintentionally resembles the Justin Faulk trade to an extent. Carolina already used its 1st on the Kotkaniemi offer sheet; Suzuki is closest prospect in value to that pick, save for Jarvis of course (Bokk). Bear is a body to get the Stars through a season that isn't lost (Edmundson). Carolina retained on Faulk for a full season and he came with an extension, which is not wanted in this case, but Klingberg is a bigger name; the pick sort of balances things out.

Don't know if that's a winning bid, but I wouldn't expect more than this from the primary listed suitor up to this point.
You don’t think you can pawn Bokk off on stars?

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
This idiot team demoted Klingberg to the third pairing last night, just trade him and get it over with, rip off the bandaid...

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
What's the situation in Dallas? Team is struggling but manage to still be in contention for playoffs. Core players are all (except Pavelski) signed long term or under team control for many years. Do they add to be better an increase chances or simply blow it off? Do they try to immediatly replace Klingberg?

Bigshow747

May 12, 2018
What's the situation in Dallas? Team is struggling but manage to still be in contention for playoffs. Core players are all (except Pavelski) signed long term or under team control for many years. Do they add to be better an increase chances or simply blow it off? Do they try to immediatly replace Klingberg?

The situation in Dallas is since about '16-17 they have taken a complete 180 in terms of what style of team they want to be. They've been through 3 coaches since then, and are emulating a St. Louis Blues team that beat them in the conference finals that season (mind you that team was not the Cup team that won a season or two later). They have a Dinosaur of a coach, who experiences cognitive dissonance at every turn, and has no concept of a modern, puck possession team game. It's get a goal or two and then turtle. They have a GM, who admittedly is FINALLY drafting well, targeting high IQ, offensive skill, but not just focussing on size and defensive ability. We have an owner who thinks he knows more about the game than he does, and is very much too involved.

Now, as far as the team goes, we are one of, if not THE oldest team. Nill handed out NMC's like candy, so guys like Seguin, Benn, and Lindell are not going anywhere. On top of that we overpaid for Esa Lindell at 5.8 mil. We overpaid and over extended Suter, and we did not extend Klinger when his value was at his lowest at the end of last season. Now he sees what the Hamilton's and the Jones' of the world are getting, and is sick of taking the friendly team deals. The team is in a 5 team race for that second wild card spot, even with a 9-1 stretch of play. It's not likely they make it, they have games in hand yes, but with COVID and with the condensing of schedules this is the year of all years to probably want to have games played and points earned rather than games in hand. I'm not optimistic (but what do I know), however, Nill will probably make the same mistakes he has always made, holding onto valuable rentals, and Gagliardi will push him to do so in order to get 2-3 home playoff game revenues.

Prediction? We do nothing at the deadline, coming up with every excuse on the planet for why we don't make the playoffs, we don't move Klingberg, Pavelski, Radulov, Holtby, or any other FA's, gaining valuable picks in a deep draft or two, and we linger in mediocrity, all the while losing Klinger and probably Pavelski (unless he takes a pay cut) to free agency and get nothing for them other than a 4th or 5th for negotiating rights.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
If they move Klingberg for futures, what of Pavelski? I’d assume he would probably want out at his age.

Bigshow747

May 12, 2018
As far as a trade goes, any trade involving Klingberg (if management sees the writing on the wall) should involve a young righty defenseman, unless the prospect or pick offered up is significant. Dallas would only have Hakanpaa on the right side that is a true righty (Heiskanen plays on the offhand).

Teams that should consider Klingberg would be teams that need a boost on the PP that are playoff bound.

I like Carolina as a trade partner, but I don't know if they NEED him, unless Bear were to go the other way. Slavin-Klingberg would probably be a top 5 pairing in the league. But do they need him with DeAngelo? If they go all in though, a deal around Bear, a 1st, and a second tier prospect or Bear a 2nd and 1st tier prospect makes some sense.

Toronto makes sense, they could use a righty in their top 4. But would they be willing to give up a prospect like Robertson (yes please), Sandin, or Liljegren? Do they even have the cap space?

Washington could use PP help. Can't believe I'm saying that. But do they have the prospects to pull off a deal? Not sure.

LA could make sense, but they would be better off pursuing Chychrun.

Calgary might make sense, but they have predominantly forward prospects like Zary, Corronato, etc. Not sure if that makes sense for Dallas, or if Calgary would even consider that.

Florida is the only other team I could think of. Outside of the obvious prospects or young players, a guy like Benning could be a nice piece, Nause too. Not sure who's untouchable down there for a rental.

Overall, Klinger makes any team's PP better. I'm just not sure who is available from a prospect/player perspective that helps Dallas' right side long term. They have Heiskanen signed long term (thank the Hockey Gods for that), Harley, and Grushnikov in their system are the future. Suter and Lindell are both around for the next 3 years. All of them are lefties.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
I don’t think the Stars really want to make a futures deal here and that may be part of the consideration. They still believe they can be a factor if they sneak in and their outlook is win in the short term. Nill’s plan is likely to find a team that could re-sign him and make a hockey deal. Maybe it’s Boston and DeBrusk with additions.

Klingberg is good at transition and good at the opposing blue line, but he has some real brain farts defensively that may or may not be captured by the analytics crowd. If they’re weighing the pros and cons - and you do - a long term contract at his ask is a risk. But there will be teams that believe they need the offence he can offer.

I would expect the Stars to make that move sooner than later as it appears it is becoming a distraction. I would also think Radulov gets move closer to the deadline if they’re out of it. I still think they try to keep Pavelski, but you never know.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I don’t think the Stars really want to make a futures deal here and that may be part of the consideration. They still believe they can be a factor if they sneak in and their outlook is win in the short term. Nill’s plan is likely to find a team that could re-sign him and make a hockey deal. Maybe it’s Boston and DeBrusk with additions.

Klingberg is good at transition and good at the opposing blue line, but he has some real brain farts defensively that may or may not be captured by the analytics crowd. If they’re weighing the pros and cons - and you do - a long term contract at his ask is a risk. But there will be teams that believe they need the offence he can offer.

I would expect the Stars to make that move sooner than later as it appears it is becoming a distraction. I would also think Radulov gets move closer to the deadline if they’re out of it. I still think they try to keep Pavelski, but you never know.

In Mtl, We have the same issue with Petry. He wants out because we are rebuilding and as an american, he and his wife don't like the way COVID is taking care of here. Effort has been abysmal on his part this season but was awsome the last years and particularly the last playoffs as i think he was our true no.1 D over Weber.

I wonder if a deal around Petry and Klingberg could make sense. Habs are rebuilding but could flip Klingberg for futures at the deadline. Possible to retain on Petry and add other parts to the deal to make it work.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Hmmm does Carolina need another D? To me they already have one of the top d-cores in the league.

Bear has regressed and they could use another RD to solidify their right side prior to or at the deadline. They won’t overpay, but definitely can see them making a competive offer.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Bear was a main piece of the return actually to Dallas.

Reactions: Tryamw

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Bear has regressed and they could use another RD to solidify their right side prior to or at the deadline. They won’t overpay, but definitely can see them making a competive offer.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Bear was a main piece of the return actually to Dallas.
Ok but klingberg would likely mean you’re paying quite a bit.

Maybe I am off but your top 4 are pretty solid. But could understand finding a better bottom pair option.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Ok but klingberg would likely mean you’re paying quite a bit.

A young RD with some years left of team control is quite a hefty price to pay for a rental regardless. Personally, I don’t think they’d offer much more outside of a Bokk, Rees or Puistola type prospect in addition to Bear. Klingberg is great, but he’s also a rental. I don’t see the Canes overpaying for him.

If they’re going to pay a lot, they’re going to do it for a guy with term, like Chychrun. Personally, I see them just going for a guy like Manson or Hamonic for depth, but we’ll see. Seems like whenever there’s a rumor of a big name available, the Canes are in there sniffing around for a deal.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
A young RD with some years left of team control is quite a hefty price to pay for a rental regardless. Personally, I don’t think they’d offer much more outside of a Bokk, Rees or Puistola type prospect in addition to Bear. Klingberg is great, but he’s also a rental. I don’t see the Canes overpaying for him.

If they’re going to pay a lot, they’re going to do it for a guy with term, like Chychrun. Personally, I see them just going for a guy like Manson or Hamonic for depth, but we’ll see. Seems like whenever there’s a rumor of a big name available, the Canes are in there sniffing around for a deal.
Hamonic can definitely be had…

Anyone want Myers, while we’re at it?

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Dallas needs a RD from somewhere. I'm not sure it has to be the Klingberg trade. Someone is going to want Pavelski. Same with Radulov and even Holtby. Get the best deal you can for Klingberg, regardless of what comes back and maybe target a RD with the others or again best deals possible and find a RD this offseason. If Dallas blows it up they can do a lot to build up their near future. Just have to be willing to accept the reality of who and what they are at this moment.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Would klingberg for neiderreiter straight up make sense? Both ufa end of season Dallas adds some depth up front

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Would klingberg for neiderreiter straight up make sense? Both ufa end of season Dallas adds some depth up front

Not in the slightest. It would make the Stars worse for no reason.

If we're going for it, we keep Klingberg. Otherwise, the Stars need futures to rebuild around Robertson, Hintz, and Heiskanen.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

It wouldn't make sense for Dallas. They aren't contenders, especially not if they trade Klingberg

Wouldn't put it past Nill to make some move tho that doesn't get the team future assets and ends up with the Stars getting nothing

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Any interest in something around Barrie for Klingberg?
Could honestly be something there . Edmonton could use a shake . The salaries match . Would rather they go for future assets but nill is probably looking for something to help this year .

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad