Rumor: Pagnotta: John Klingberg has requested a trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
I think Dallas holds on trading klingberg. I expect Dallas to be in the mix in a wide open western conference. They will try to sign klingberg in summer, if not, let him walk and let some team overpay
If you would have started that with “I like where our team is at” I would be convinced you are Jim Nill. That sounds like Jim Nill logic.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Jeff Marek: "John Klingberg is looking for something in the area ... of 8 years $63 million"

Me: :biglaugh:

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
If you would have started that with “I like where our team is at” I would be convinced you are Jim Nill. That sounds like Jim Nill logic.
Yes, I said what I think will happen. Not what they should do. :)

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Jeff Marek: "John Klingberg is looking for something in the area ... of 8 years $63 million"

I agree 100%, but then at the same time we saw some crazy D contracts last offseason, and there’s always some GM who gives out some head scratching deal

so who knows what to expect

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't think they will trade him unless they really fall out of the picture. They are only 3 points behind 8th place and won their last 4

Would be pretty devastating if they wouldn’t end up re-signing him.

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
He wants a big money, 8 year deal and Dallas has finally learned their lesson (after Benn and Seguin) and won't give it to him.
I don't get the rationale behind this comment. If learning your lesson is going to the Stanley Cup Finals, then the lesson should be to back the goddamn truck up. If I was a Stars fan I'd be absolutely thrilled with the way Benn and Sequin have worked out and been still trying to fill in those last holes to chase that cup. Funny you didn't mention Radulov at all...

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
I don't get the rationale behind this comment. If learning your lesson is going to the Stanley Cup Finals, then the lesson should be to back the goddamn truck up. If I was a Stars fan I'd be absolutely thrilled with the way Benn and Sequin have worked out and been still trying to fill in those last holes to chase that cup. Funny you didn't mention Radulov at all...
Obviously you don’t watch the Stars. Benn and Sequin are a shell of themselves. Far from working out. Radulov is not mentioned because he is free after this year and pretty much played to his contract.

Reactions: DieselPig

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree 100%, but then at the same time we saw some crazy D contracts last offseason, and there’s always some GM who gives out some head scratching deal

Offensive D man type that is not that strong in his own end. Stars starting him over 60% in the offensive zone and he's among the worse +/- for their entire D group. He's a top 4D in my opinion but comes with flaws. He's not getting $8M AAV. Might get $7M for a team that is desperate to add a top 4D and has the cap space to do it.

Similar to Petry IMO but younger. I think he will get Petry's AAV but maybe a bit higher in AAV and term.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Well the Canucks right side is extra special..

A player like Boeser would likely need to be moved if they want to upgrade the RD.
Boeser might do it . If the canucks could make a deal now it would be better than waiting for free agency as a lot of teams will be after him .

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Obviously you don’t watch the Stars. Benn and Sequin are a shell of themselves. Far from working out. Radulov is not mentioned because he is free after this year and pretty much played to his contract.
So they contributed nothing to reaching the Stanley Cup finals? I'm sure Benn's leadership qualities have evaporated as his body has aged? I may not watch the Stars, but my years of experience watching and participating in hockey, plus some common sense mixed in tells me you are just a passionate fan who underestimates the difficulty of making it to the cup finals.

DieselPig

Oct 20, 2016
So they contributed nothing to reaching the Stanley Cup finals? I'm sure Benn's leadership qualities have evaporated as his body has aged? I may not watch the Stars, but my years of experience watching and participating in hockey, plus some common sense mixed in tells me you are just a passionate fan who underestimates the difficulty of making it to the cup finals.

Benn was good in the playoff run up until the finals. Seguin was awful. I'm sure they're positive influences in the room, but both are absolutely shells of their former selves and will be net negative value to the Stars moving forward unfortunately. Both making way too much money for what they produce on the ice now.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Dallas should 100% trade him.

1. Doesn’t make sense to re sign him to that contract given they aren’t a contender.
2. They should get a very nice package for him at the TDL.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Benn was good in the playoff run up until the finals. Seguin was awful. I'm sure they're positive influences in the room, but both are absolutely shells of their former selves and will be net negative value to the Stars moving forward unfortunately. Both making way too much money for what they produce on the ice now.
That's every all-stars contract at the end of it though. I could see fans being bitter who can't even make the playoffs with those types of contracts but do you think Pens fans are sitting around lamenting signing Malkin to a long contract when he can't stay healthy any more, or the Hawks complaining about Toews, Sharks complaining about Burns. It's par for the course that an all-star is going to be negative value at the end of their career.

Reactions: duckpuck

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
That's every all-stars contract at the end of it though. I could see fans being bitter who can't even make the playoffs with those types of contracts but do you think Pens fans are sitting around lamenting signing Malkin to a long contract when he can't stay healthy any more, or the Hawks complaining about Toews, Sharks complaining about Burns. It's par for the course that an all-star is going to be negative value at the end of their career.
That’s a fair response. One thing you might hear from Stars fans, however, is that from day 1 neither player up to their huge, new contracts.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

Some GM will pay Klingberg a lot of money, that's for sure. He's too talented offensively and like you say the defenseman market has been nuts lately. I'd be mad if my GM signed him to a big money long term deal, but I've also never been a huge fan of his game.

He will most probably get it. Hamilton got 63 millions for 7 years
I would be shocked if Klingberg got Hamilton money. I think he gets closer to $50 mill than $60 mill over 8 years, but who knows. If Klingberg can get a $60+ mill contract, then good for him!

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Well probably a big part of why he wants to get traded is so that he can finish with bigger numbers like his previous best, put up numbers in the playoffs, and then look more worthy of that $60M+ contract than he currently does. Or so he hopes. :dunno:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
That’s a fair response. One thing you might hear from Stars fans, however, is that from day 1 neither player up to their huge, new contracts.
I guess i'm the only one who remembers that time Benn got 4 points on the last game of the season to win the Art Ross and edge out Tavares...but if the Art Ross isn't your bar that's fine. (might have been the Rocket...but point still stands).

Edit: I do admit this may have been before his big contract, but does lend credence to the fact that he earned it. Players usually get paid for past production, not future. That's the weird way contracts work in sports.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Flames could really really use him. Wouldn't have much problem giving up the 2022 1st if they're still in a playoff spot by the deadline. Not sure what else would be interesting for Dallas, or how much more Tre would want to pay.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

Insane demands, all things considered. Morgan Rielly, who's a better player, and younger, just signed for 8 years at $60 million. I'm just using Rielly as an example. Someone will sign Klingberg to a similar deal and absolutely regret it. He's good but he's not good enough to sacrifice that much of the cap over.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I guess i'm the only one who remembers that time Benn got 4 points on the last game of the season to win the Art Ross and edge out Tavares...but if the Art Ross isn't your bar that's fine. (might have been the Rocket...but point still stands).

Edit: I do admit this may have been before his big contract, but does lend credence to the fact that he earned it. Players usually get paid for past production, not future. That's the weird way contracts work in sports.

I'm a huge Benn fan and I like Seguin, especially how big that trade was for the Stars. Both of those guys earned their contracts. That doesn't mean that you have to make the same mistake again, though. Frankly, Klingberg may end up playing to his new contract more than Benn or Seguin have, and walking away is probably the right thing for Dallas.

I am a huge Klingberg fan and have been since his rookie year. We hadn't seen a D-man with his skill set since Zubov when he arrived. I hope Klingberg gets big money; I think he still has big point producing ability. I don't think Dallas should be the one to give it to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad