Rumor: Pagnotta: John Klingberg has requested a trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
As far as a trade goes, any trade involving Klingberg (if management sees the writing on the wall) should involve a young righty defenseman, unless the prospect or pick offered up is significant. Dallas would only have Hakanpaa on the right side that is a true righty (Heiskanen plays on the offhand).

Teams that should consider Klingberg would be teams that need a boost on the PP that are playoff bound.

I like Carolina as a trade partner, but I don't know if they NEED him, unless Bear were to go the other way. Slavin-Klingberg would probably be a top 5 pairing in the league. But do they need him with DeAngelo? If they go all in though, a deal around Bear, a 1st, and a second tier prospect or Bear a 2nd and 1st tier prospect makes some sense.

Toronto makes sense, they could use a righty in their top 4. But would they be willing to give up a prospect like Robertson (yes please), Sandin, or Liljegren? Do they even have the cap space?

Washington could use PP help. Can't believe I'm saying that. But do they have the prospects to pull off a deal? Not sure.

LA could make sense, but they would be better off pursuing Chychrun.

Calgary might make sense, but they have predominantly forward prospects like Zary, Corronato, etc. Not sure if that makes sense for Dallas, or if Calgary would even consider that.

Florida is the only other team I could think of. Outside of the obvious prospects or young players, a guy like Benning could be a nice piece, Nause too. Not sure who's untouchable down there for a rental.

Overall, Klinger makes any team's PP better. I'm just not sure who is available from a prospect/player perspective that helps Dallas' right side long term. They have Heiskanen signed long term (thank the Hockey Gods for that), Harley, and Grushnikov in their system are the future. Suter and Lindell are both around for the next 3 years. All of them are lefties.

I don't think the leafs would have any issues sending Liljegren away as a central piece for Klingberg with retention.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
I wonder if something around Boeser for re-signed Klingberg work work. Is he what we need though? What will his next contract look like?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The situation in Dallas is since about '16-17 they have taken a complete 180 in terms of what style of team they want to be. They've been through 3 coaches since then, and are emulating a St. Louis Blues team that beat them in the conference finals that season (mind you that team was not the Cup team that won a season or two later). They have a Dinosaur of a coach, who experiences cognitive dissonance at every turn, and has no concept of a modern, puck possession team game. It's get a goal or two and then turtle. They have a GM, who admittedly is FINALLY drafting well, targeting high IQ, offensive skill, but not just focussing on size and defensive ability. We have an owner who thinks he knows more about the game than he does, and is very much too involved.

Now, as far as the team goes, we are one of, if not THE oldest team. Nill handed out NMC's like candy, so guys like Seguin, Benn, and Lindell are not going anywhere. On top of that we overpaid for Esa Lindell at 5.8 mil. We overpaid and over extended Suter, and we did not extend Klinger when his value was at his lowest at the end of last season. Now he sees what the Hamilton's and the Jones' of the world are getting, and is sick of taking the friendly team deals. The team is in a 5 team race for that second wild card spot, even with a 9-1 stretch of play. It's not likely they make it, they have games in hand yes, but with COVID and with the condensing of schedules this is the year of all years to probably want to have games played and points earned rather than games in hand. I'm not optimistic (but what do I know), however, Nill will probably make the same mistakes he has always made, holding onto valuable rentals, and Gagliardi will push him to do so in order to get 2-3 home playoff game revenues.

Prediction? We do nothing at the deadline, coming up with every excuse on the planet for why we don't make the playoffs, we don't move Klingberg, Pavelski, Radulov, Holtby, or any other FA's, gaining valuable picks in a deep draft or two, and we linger in mediocrity, all the while losing Klinger and probably Pavelski (unless he takes a pay cut) to free agency and get nothing for them other than a 4th or 5th for negotiating rights.

Pretty astute observations IMO.

One of the disadvantages Dallas has is (from what I hear) they tend to get a serious look at most free agents. Normally that would be a good thing but given the make up of the stars GM and owner its probably more of a curse than a blessing. Maybe this is the season they dump assets at the deadline for futures but they seem to have the patience of the late Ed Snider.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
As a lot of Stars fans have feared, Nill might let him walk for nothing or give in on his contract demands.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
This has Edmonton bound written over it. Would be the perfect D partner for Nurse.

Doubt the Oilers can take on his cap hit.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
As a lot of Stars fans have feared, Nill might let him walk for nothing or give in on his contract demands.

Give in to his demands. Trade the boat anchor of Benn. Let rads walk and pavelski comes back a little cheaper. Benn can be dumped along with a prospect and pick.

account deactivated

Finns > Swedes
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Give in to his demands. Trade the boat anchor of Benn. Let rads walk and pavelski comes back a little cheaper. Benn can be dumped along with a prospect and pick.

1. No. He's not worth what he's demanding.
2. Benn has a NMC, so he's not gonna be traded.
3. Pavelski has no reason to come back cheaper to a team that has no chance at winning The Cup.
4. See #2.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
1. No. He's not worth what he's demanding.
2. Benn has a NMC, so he's not gonna be traded.
3. Pavelski has no reason to come back cheaper to a team that has no chance at winning The Cup.
4. See #2.
You are so positive. Hope you do motivational speaking for a living.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Nobody is trading for Benn, that contract is an anchor

That would be devastating for Dallas.

Anyways Nill should be fired

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I don’t think klinberg gets 8 mil per from nil. Nil I think and hope he’s learned his lesson from the benn and sequin atrocities. Sorry klinger, you’ll have to find another gm to swindle a nice fat retirement contract for ya

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
This has Edmonton bound written over it. Would be the perfect D partner for Nurse.

Doubt the Oilers can take on his cap hit.

Nurse - $9.5mil
Klingberg - $9.5 mil ( signed and won't be less than nurse)
Mcdavid- $12.5 mil
Draisaitl - $8.5 mil

That is slightly over $40 mil for 4 players wbich is basically half the cap and no #1 goalie.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Nurse - $9.5mil
Mcdavid- $12.5 mil
Draisaitl - $8.5 mil

That is slightly over $40 mil for 4 players wbich is basically half the cap and no #1 goalie.

& not really an improved defense either.
Edmonton needs a quality defensive Dman more than Kling type

Bigshow747

May 12, 2018
Klingberg to Nashville for Tolvanen and Fabbro

Thats...interesting. The only thing I would say is I could see that, with a conditional 2nd to a 1st on team playoff performance and Klinger getting retained. If Nashville wasn't in the division, I could see this as a logical move.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Nurse - $9.5mil
Mcdavid- $12.5 mil
Draisaitl - $8.5 mil

So they'll be the Maple Leafs 2.0? Better than where they're currently at.....

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Not a single team in the league is taking on Benn’s deal outright. Not any of the other 31 teams. Maybe with a large amount of retention you could get someone to take it, maybe, but I highly doubt it. And he has a NMC so what is the likelihood of him waiving for the incredibly short list of teams that would even entertain him with previously said retention? Very slim.

Last edited:

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Bowness absolutely stifles star talent, if there is a definition of "dinosaur" in this league he's the perfect example

How so? How does he tell players to leave talent behind? Why would he reject talent? Does DAL decline power play opportunities? How did he go from "Good Coach" to "Dinosaur" in the span of 2 years?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad