HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: Off-Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
I see a lot of similarities between Jalen Hurts and Nick Suzuki

Alright, I’ll bite

oGLom1h.gif

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Sneering Habs fans say that Detroit botched their rebuild but I don't see any evidence. Detroit has better players and prospects than the Habs in every position AND they exhibit so-called notion of a winning culture where they don't just lose for the sake of losing. Yzerman paid the price to acquire an upgrade last summer and wouldn't you know, he's improved the roster considerably. The DRW are 5-1-0.

The Yzerplan is exactly what everybody likes to think is the HuGo plan: Don't lose for the sake of losing, position your team to constantly improve and churn through players on the way up. They have no cap issues though Mortiz Seider is due for a fat raise.

Anyway, good for the Red Wings. Another team to watch and admire.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Sneering Habs fans say that Detroit botched their rebuild but I don't see any evidence. Detroit has better players and prospects than the Habs in every position AND they exhibit so-called notion of a winning culture where they don't just lose for the sake of losing. Yzerman paid the price to acquire an upgrade last summer and wouldn't you know, he's improved the roster considerably. The DRW are 5-1-0.

The Yzerplan is exactly what everybody likes to think is the HuGo plan: Don't lose for the sake of losing, position your team to constantly improve and churn through players on the way up. They have no cap issues though Mortiz Seider is due for a fat raise.

I like Yzerman as a GM.............he has been a Gm for around 10 seasons? The past 4 with Detroit....the guy knows what he is doing.........
Let's hope in another few years we can say the same about Hughes....he along with the habs, are a work in progress.

Reactions: ReHabs

therocket9

Sep 15, 2021

Detroit has missed the playoffs 8 years in a row this year will be nine and Yzerman has signed Chiarot,Holl,Walman,and Maatta on D not good and trade for an old Petry and he has Seider and Raymond as RFA's this summer to huge pay increase taking up all his cap space for average team with no top goalie the next 3-4 years.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Detroit has been at their rebuild a LOT longer…

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I like Yzerman as a GM.............he has been a Gm for around 10 seasons? The past 4 with Detroit....the guy knows what he is doing.........
Let's hope in another few years we can say the same about Hughes....he along with the habs, are a work in progress.
This is Stevie Ys 14th season as GM… zero Cups / 1-final appearance

Yzerman is a creation of inheriting two generational talents to kick off his TBay rebuild + no state tax Fla allowing uneven advantage at roster building

Yes he’s done some good things, hiring Al Murray and being the first GM to bet on the game changing to more speed & skill, having had inside info of pending concussion lawsuits prior to joining TBay.

Most of his moves w Det have been very questionable at best. Let’s wait & see if Wings actually qualify for playoffs first

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Detroit has missed the playoffs 8 years in a row this year will be nine and Yzerman has signed Chiarot,Holl,Walman,and Maatta on D not good and trade for an old Petry and he has Seider and Raymond as RFA's this summer to huge pay increase taking up all his cap space for average team with no top goalie the next 3-4 years.
I’m not sure Detroit will miss the playoffs this year but we’ll see.

As for the rest of your comment, I don’t see it! They’ll have room to retain Seider and Raymond quite easily.

Signing those roster improvements is a strategy I support and see its benefits quite clearly: more competitive players, more confident players, easier for players to grow (Larkin), etc.

Yzerman bet on the cap increasing and he bet correctly. He also wasn’t afraid to sell despite wanting to end his rebuild, such as Bertuzzi last year.

Most impressive: he acquired DeBrindcat for extremely cheap in an in-division trade. Masterful work.

Detroit has been at their rebuild a LOT longer…
Well, the Habs have missed the playoffs plenty of times since DET’s rebuild started but I’m mostly just referring to the so-called Yzerplan which has been the past four years or so.

1698059539661.png

After this season the Habs will have missed the playoffs for three straight years, and six of the last nine. But it’s not fair to go so back because the team was so different — I only mean to say Habs fans shouldn’t be sneering and mocking the Red Wings at this point. Larkin and Seider alone are better than any player we have.

Reactions: zeeto

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Did you see Montreal's regular season record last 6 years, not exactly what you call even average:

Screenshot_2023-10-23-07-30-04-72_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Here is Detroit that you are sneering at:
Screenshot_2023-10-23-07-29-26-66_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12~2.jpg

Not exactly THAT different. The 2 things we have is a fluky 'any thing can happen' cup run in a COVID season where Habs played in a Canadian division that will never happen again and a play in win over Pittsburgh that again won't happen again.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-10-23-07-29-26-66_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-23-07-29-26-66_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    465.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: zeeto and ReHabs

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
This is Stevie Ys 14th season as GM… zero Cups / 1-final appearance

Yzerman is a creation of inheriting two generational talents to kick off his TBay rebuild + no state tax Fla allowing uneven advantage at roster building

Yes he’s done some good things, hiring Al Murray and being the first GM to bet on the game changing to more speed & skill, having had inside info of pending concussion lawsuits prior to joining TBay.

Most of his moves w Det have been very questionable at best. Let’s wait & see if Wings actually qualify for playoffs first
True, but as soon as he left Tbay.............they won 2 Cups. Even Brisebois would tell us, the team he inherited was built by Stevie Y

Agreed, with Detroit let's see where it goes, but we both know he knows what he is doing.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I’m not sure Detroit will miss the playoffs this year but we’ll see.

As for the rest of your comment, I don’t see it! They’ll have room to retain Seider and Raymond quite easily.

Signing those roster improvements is a strategy I support and see its benefits quite clearly: more competitive players, more confident players, easier for players to grow (Larkin), etc.

Yzerman bet on the cap increasing and he bet correctly. He also wasn’t afraid to sell despite wanting to end his rebuild, such as Bertuzzi last year.

Most impressive: he acquired DeBrindcat for extremely cheap in an in-division trade. Masterful work.

Well, the Habs have missed the playoffs plenty of times since DET’s rebuild started but I’m mostly just referring to the so-called Yzerplan which has been the past four years or so.

View attachment 756524
After this season the Habs will have missed the playoffs for three straight years, and six of the last nine. But it’s not fair to go so back because the team was so different — I only mean to say Habs fans shouldn’t be sneering and mocking the Red Wings at this point. Larkin and Seider alone are better than any player we have.

Yes that's a good point -- the Habs have missed the playoffs five times in eight years. Their rebuild should be over.

But,

Bergevin traded Sergachev (a 9th overall from a missed playoff) for Drouin, and indirectly traded Kotkaniemi (a 3rd overall from a missed playoff) for Dvorak. When you squander a number 2 D and a number 2 C, you're going to end up rebuilding for longer.

I'm really bummed about the Dach injury. Hopefully this is the last year of the tank, with maybe a bonus from the Calgary pick.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
What Detroit is doing is unsustainable. Debrincat and Larkin aren’t going to have 160 point seasons. Their 2C remains Andrew Copp. Their goalies are Husso and Reimer. Let’s pump the brakes a little on them.

They are basically having a season start like the Habs had last season, CC/Suzuki were on fire and pacing for like 120 pts season until December arrived. DeBrincat is at 42.1% shooting percentage, his career avg is 15% and Larkin is all assists.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Lol Detroit humping.

Detroit is an example of what not to do when rebuilding.. this hot start won't last.

I’m far more impressed with Philly… #1 in their division, a real player’s coach behind the bench, drafted the best generational superstar ever since July 2023 and just overflowing with high-end prospects.

/s

• Haha
Reactions: WeThreeKings

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Detroit has missed the PO 7 years in a row. Get the facts straight.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
True, but as soon as he left Tbay.............they won 2 Cups. Even Brisebois would tell us, the team he inherited was built by Stevie Y

Agreed, with Detroit let's see where it goes, but we both know he knows what he is doing.
Despite yearly attempts, Stevie Y repeatedly failed at acquiring grit & character for TBay team to get them over the top - which Brisebois attained instant success at.

Det lacks the same components, which is why they likely won’t make playoffs again

In the present NHL, there’s no such thing as a superstar GM, the margin between good vs meh GMs is slim to none, when factoring in geographical market advantage (warm weather climate, low/no taxes, lack of media scrutiny)

Jim Nill sucked donkey dong his first 8-years as Stars GM despite all the geographical advantages of the locale, then had his Trevor Timmins 2007 draft equivalent in 2017 and became a genius

Last edited:
Reactions: dgeezus

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Bergevin traded Sergachev (a 9th overall from a missed playoff) for Drouin, and indirectly traded Kotkaniemi (a 3rd overall from a missed playoff) for Dvorak. When you squander a number 2 D and a number 2 C, you're going to end up rebuilding for longer.
I like reading facts.

I'd add a complement of information in Annex A.

MB indirectly traded :

JK and a 2nd round pick 2024 (our own 2nd so should be high probably 35th overall to 45th overall)
for
Dvorak and a 3rd round pick 2022 (92th overall from Carolina)

We also lost draft power in the process, There's a substantial difference between a 40th ish overall pick and a 92th overall pick specially if the draft is good.

Last edited:

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
Alright, I’ll bite

oGLom1h.gif
Haha, well I think it's their calm somewhat quiet demeanor, great leadership, none of his skill really pops out of the screen and wows you, great IQ, more of a game manager than superstar player, both loss the championship game hehe.

Honestly, I'm not sure exactly what it is, but every time I watch the Eagles I think the same thing

Reactions: the valiant effort

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Despite yearly attempts, Stevie Y repeatedly failed at acquiring grit & character for TBay team to get them over the top - which Brisebois attained instant success at.

Det lacks the same components, which is why they likely won’t make playoffs again

In the present NHL, there’s no such thing as a superstar GM, the margin between good vs meh GMs is slim to none, when factoring in geographical market advantage (warm weather climate, low/no taxes, lack of media scrutiny)

Jim Nill sucked donkey dong his first 8-years as Stars GM despite all the geographical advantages of the locale, then had his Trevor Timmins 2007 draft equivalent in 2017 and became a genius
Are you saying, that the Bolts that won in 20 and 21 are a product of Julien Brisebois?? Yes, he was the Asst to Stevie Y during that tenure, but to not give Stevie Y credit, is just plain stupid....

Anyhow, the Wings are going in the right direction, and are a little ahead of the Habs....let's see if Hughes can change that....

There are no superstar GM's anymore, that we can agree on....

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Are you saying, that the Bolts that won in 20 and 21 are a product of Julien Brisebois?? Yes, he was the Asst to Stevie Y during that tenure, but to not give Stevie Y credit, is just plain stupid....

Anyhow, the Wings are going in the right direction, and are a little ahead of the Habs....let's see if Hughes can change that....

There are no superstar GM's anymore, that we can agree on....
Stevie never won the cup as a GM. Sal isnt wrong on that end, but hes wrong in his premise. Steve built the team, Brisebois fine tuned it slightly.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

I am impressed at how dominant they have been early on. Yzerman isn't stupid, he knows how to build teams.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I am impressed at how dominant they have been early on. Yzerman isn't stupid, he knows how to build teams.
During the Bergevin years, many posters argued that a GM should have a college education. I disagree now, as intelligence is one thing that is distinct from formal education and people can make different choices given their circumstances.

Yzerman is the counterexample to Bergevin, no formal education, but he's smart (intellectually and emotionally), so he can do well as a GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad