HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: Off-Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
During the Bergevin years, many posters argued that a GM should have a college education. I disagree now, as intelligence is one thing that is distinct from formal education and people can make different choices given their circumstances.

Yzerman is the counterexample to Bergevin, no formal education, but he's smart (intellectually and emotionally), so he can do well as a GM.
Guy Bouchers on the other end with whi psych Bachelors and he cant f***ing think straight because he thinks hes so smart.

Generally Id say education should still be prioritized but if you have a player like Stevie thats been in the NHL since hes 18 and that shows serious management skills and promise I dont see why not.

Generally though, since team sport management is a pretty big thing, I wonder why classes are not given on that subject. It is a career path, afterall.

Reactions: Kimota

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Are you saying, that the Bolts that won in 20 and 21 are a product of Julien Brisebois?? Yes, he was the Asst to Stevie Y during that tenure, but to not give Stevie Y credit, is just plain stupid....

Anyhow, the Wings are going in the right direction, and are a little ahead of the Habs....let's see if Hughes can change that....

There are no superstar GM's anymore, that we can agree on....
No I’m saying all NHL GMs are working a slim bandwidth of error. Stevie Y used his inside knowledge of working in NHL HQ at the right time (brewing concussion lawsuits) to be the first GM in 2010 to go against the flow and focus on drafting smaller skilled types when the entire league trend was bigger bruiser is better - good on Stevie Y to leverage his insider knowledge and good on Jeff Vanek for making the hire.

But once the league started catching up on speed & skill focus, Stevie Ys teams couldn’t get over the hump, because his strength was identifying skill not grit - all his attempts at drafting / developing and trading for character types were abysmal failures.

Whereas Brisebois strength clearly lies in identifying those types of players, even during AGM days, but hasn’t shown a penchant for amateur or skill based acquisitions … at least yet.

It’s the case with all the GMs, some are strong in amateur procurement (Dorion & Benning) but suck at pro player procurement, majority are vice versa. Some have a track record of identifying offensive talent but possess shortcomings in finding grit / defensive skill sets or even goaltending.

There is no GM who’s got more than 50% of the ground covered

Last edited:
Reactions: BLONG7

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
During the Bergevin years, many posters argued that a GM should have a college education. I disagree now, as intelligence is one thing that is distinct from formal education and people can make different choices given their circumstances.

Yzerman is the counterexample to Bergevin, no formal education, but he's smart (intellectually and emotionally), so he can do well as a GM.
Until Stevie Y wins a Cup his accomplishments aren’t any different than MBs achievements, same with the legendary Jim Nill

Det aren’t likely winning anything in the near future, they may not even make the playoffs …. yet again, should have more of a probabilistic idea by Thanksgiving next month, and moreso by Xmas - when game intensity really starts to ramp up

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Guy Bouchers on the other end with whi psych Bachelors and he cant f***ing think straight because he thinks hes so smart.

Generally Id say education should still be prioritized but if you have a player like Stevie thats been in the NHL since hes 18 and that shows serious management skills and promise I dont see why not.

Generally though, since team sport management is a pretty big thing, I wonder why classes are not given on that subject. It is a career path, afterall.
MIT has a program that Brian Burke helped setup - pretty thorough, technical & competitive. Harvard is in the process of updating their MBA program w a sports management specialization

Most US colleges now offer undergraduate sports management degrees

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
What is it with those f***ing Bruins....lollll. Wait they are losing this player, that player...they are getting old.....now wait...they are losing Bergeron and Krejci. Now they'll drop.....what's next? We have to wait till Pastrnak retires? lol

Reactions: Wats and ArtPeur

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
MIT has a program that Brian Burke helped setup - pretty thorough, technical & competitive. Harvard is in the process of updating their MBA program w a sports management specialization

Most US colleges now offer undergraduate sports management degrees

These programs will produce the very best GMs, at a similar rate to how MBA programs produce the best entrepreneurs and CEOs.

• Haha
Reactions: Heffyhoof

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Bergevin was wrong to lose Kotkaniemi that summer, bit of we call him an idiot or a fool for doing so then the same applies the vast majority of the fan base and media.

So true. Practically nobody on this board was for matching the offer. And respect to KK for taking a tough decision that radically improved his career situation, although he’s going to have to “live” with being underpaid. He will undoubtedly be the best contract in next years edition of best contracts if he maintains this pace.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
So true. Practically nobody on this board was for matching the offer. And respect to KK for taking a tough decision that radically improved his career situation, although he’s going to have to “live” with being underpaid. He will undoubtedly be the best contract in next years edition of best contracts if he maintains this pace.

I said we should have matched; I wanted to see where his game was and then you can make the decision on the extension etc. after having another year of data.

That being said, that was a tougher task for Bergevin because he had already ruined the relationship with KK. I would have not let that happen because I'm not an arrogant prick like he was.

Bergevin created his own mess and navigated out of it in the worst way possible, as he did for his entire 10 year tenure.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
What Detroit is doing is unsustainable. Debrincat and Larkin aren’t going to have 160 point seasons. Their 2C remains Andrew Copp. Their goalies are Husso and Reimer. Let’s pump the brakes a little on them.
Cat’s shooting percentage is 42% :laugh:

It will regress

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Until Stevie Y wins a Cup his accomplishments aren’t any different than MBs achievements, same with the legendary Jim Nill

Det aren’t likely winning anything in the near future, they may not even make the playoffs …. yet again, should have more of a probabilistic idea by Thanksgiving next month, and moreso by Xmas - when game intensity really starts to ramp up
So, Stevie Y and Bergevin are up for the job, and you are the owner, who do you hire?? LOL.....
I am sure we know who you hire, between those 2 !!

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
What is it with those f***ing Bruins....lollll. Wait they are losing this player, that player...they are getting old.....now wait...they are losing Bergeron and Krejci. Now they'll drop.....what's next? We have to wait till Pastrnak retires? lol
Seems to be forgotten the players the Bruins have traded away over the years for not a lot to show for in return: Joe Thornton, Phil Kessell, Tyler Seguin, Doug Hamilton... What they have going for them as well as anyone is the team first culture, something the Habs had for many years. It is hard to maintain when you have a large roster turn over but they seem to be able to slot in new players to keep them very competitive.

Reactions: ngc_5128

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Larkin looks like a different player.
I was not on board only because I didn't know he could re-sign for less. I though as an RFA he was guaranteed a raise if he is qualified.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Any sane organization would not have let it go to that. He would not have been stupid enough to offersheet AHO at that ridiculous price. Should have been ready for an offersheet in response to it. But even before that, just treat the player as he should have...and it would not have come to having to match or not.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
So, Stevie Y and Bergevin are up for the job, and you are the owner, who do you hire?? LOL.....
I am sure we know who you hire, between those 2 !!
I likely wouldn’t hire either - probably give Eric Tulsky a very serious look, if not try to go the route of MLB thinking. They’ve been avant garde wrt management over last 30+ years

The NHL game in 5-10 years will be managed and operated in a very different fashion IMO

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Larkin looks like a different player.

I was not on board only because I didn't know he could re-sign for less. I though as an RFA he was guaranteed a raise if he is qualified.
A player can always sign for less. Only the qualifying offer to retain the right must be higher (105%). But you have until june 25th to make a qualifying offer. If you can't sign the player before june 25th you have to offer a qualifying offer or the RFA player becomes UFA. The player can refuse the qualifying offer (like Shane Pinto) in which case the team retain the rights of the player and the player remain unsigned.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Wasn't my take....I would have matched it.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Wasn't my take....I would have matched it.

Was not mine either. So we are already two.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whitesnake

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
The second deal was never an option with the habs so we had to let him go. Why this situation could happen is a good question and ultimately helped Bergevin get fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad