HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: Off-Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
You are able to get RDS and TVA across the country. I used to have RDS when they broadcasted all the Habs games throughout the country. That changed when the new TV deal came into place as TVA took over the national rights and RDS was now only for the regional broadcast. When RDS had both they would just make all the games national so everyone throughout Canada could watch the games.
I still had to add RDS to my cable package and pay for it separately in British Columbia. It wasn't part of the sports package or anything, but part of the French language package. So you could watch the Habs games if you went out of your way to pay for the Québecois programming. Not exactly the same as TSN or Sportsnet being national and the default sports programming for Canada.

Last edited:

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
If it's a National Broadcast, you owe it to the other team and their fanbase to talk about them. Toronto vs. Montreal on opening night was a national broadcast, yet it was centered around all Leafs talk like it was a regional game. It's so one sided, it's comical.

All other fanbases of the Canadian teams have the same issue. If the Leafs are playing the Sens, they still talk mostly about the Leafs.
Yes, it's a national broadcast but they're still in the business of making money. It's a private company, they do not owe anyone, other than the shareholders, anything.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the leafs and that they're all over TSN/SNET but the reality is money talks and it's with the leafs they make the most of it.

so what? hockey is a Canadian game not a fig game
Is TSN subsidized by the canadian governement?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Disagree. Both goalies are better than most teams' starter and light-years ahead of their backups. So much of this game is goaltending. Heroic goaltending motivates every skater to give more and fight till the end. Sieve-like tending deflates even the McDavids and Draisaitls, who then mail it in by the second period. Moreover, they have a strong defense as well. This is the Islanders model, perfected, then complemented by elite forwards like Pasta and Marchand.

Thats all fine, not saying they will be lottey contenders or anything. You did not mention an extremely important position in your post though.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
If it's a National Broadcast, you owe it to the other team and their fanbase to talk about them. Toronto vs. Montreal on opening night was a national broadcast, yet it was centered around all Leafs talk like it was a regional game. It's so one sided, it's comical.

All other fanbases of the Canadian teams have the same issue. If the Leafs are playing the Sens, they still talk mostly about the Leafs.

I would give RDS and TVA Sports a pass, because they're sports networks based only in Quebec. So it's only normal that whether regional broadcast or national games , they'd focus on the Habs, unlike TSN and Sportsnet, who are networks available throughout the country.

It also goes to show how regionalized the sport of hockey is even north of the border.

Catering to your largest English speaking market is the default thing to do when you can't get enough broad appeal on a national scale.

In the NFL, you got green bay which is a small market, yet it doesn't matter because the nfl has mass appeal on the national scale. In Canada, you just don't have that appeal for an out of town market to the same level. Yes, there are several out of market leaf and habs fans across Canada, but the appeal is not comparable because because each market in Canada generally doesn't care unless their team is playing.

Reactions: sampollock

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Thats all fine, not saying they will be lottey contenders or anything. You did not mention an extremely important position in your post though.
Extremely important to win a cup but not really to make the playoffs. You can easily make the playoffs on the back of a strong defense/goalies and one or two elite wingers.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
How dare I criticize TSN for doing the Leafs Halloween costumes breakdowns?

Money talks and Ontario is full of people.

:eyeroll:

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Yes, it's a national broadcast but they're still in the business of making money. It's a private company, they do not owe anyone, other than the shareholders, anything.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the leafs and that they're all over TSN/SNET but the reality is money talks and it's with the leafs they make the most of it.

Is TSN subsidized by the canadian governement?
nope

but then come out and say they are a fig station, then at least we all can hear that. instead they deny it

Reactions: bcv

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I didn't, but the Islanders were also bereft at that same position while still competing. As I mentioned, a better Islander's model. Or Nashville Preds, pre-Johansen-Jones trade. Teams built on stifling defense.

Last edited:

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
It also goes to show how regionalized the sport of hockey is even north of the border.

Catering to your largest English speaking market is the default thing to do when you can't get enough broad appeal on a national scale.

In the NFL, you got green bay which is a small market, yet it doesn't matter because the nfl has mass appeal on the national scale. In Canada, you just don't have that appeal for an out of town market to the same level. Yes, there are several out of market leaf and habs fans across Canada, but the appeal is not comparable because because each market in Canada generally doesn't care unless their team is playing.
NFL is the same thing. You think they cover all nfl teams equally?? A few teams get all the coverage and all the headlines. ESPN talks about the cowboys 24/7 on repeat.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Extremely important to win a cup but not really to make the playoffs. You can easily make the playoffs on the back of a strong defense/goalies and one or two elite wingers.

I just said I expect then to fall back into the pack. I do expect them to be in the mix for playoff purposes. At worst, they are a bubble team.

Reactions: LaP

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
NFL is the same thing. You think they cover all nfl teams equally?? A few teams get all the coverage and all the headlines. ESPN talks about the cowboys 24/7 on repeat.

You won't see the same each week in the prime slot for the NFL. Can't say the same thing about hockey north of the border.

I didn't, but the Islanders were also bereft at that same position while still competing. As I mentioned, a better Islander's model. Or Nashville Preds, pre-Johansen-Jones trade. Teams built on stifling defense.

I dont necessarily disagree with that, but I've still downgraded them from elite cup contender category this year, hence, why I said they are falling back into the pack.

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
I just turned on the Leafs/Caps game and the sound is messed up, happening for anyone else? Miller and Johnson sound like they're in a tin can and there's some kind of reverb/flanger effect humming in the background.

Edit: normal now, was funny, yet annoying for a bit.

Last edited:

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

mr-rogers-mister-rogers.gif

Reactions: Kimota and ArtPeur

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
What's the record for most shots on goal by a player in an NHL game?

Don't know but if the game summary is accurate Ovie has 13 shots on goal through 2 periods tonight and a late second period goal. 4-1 Leafs though over the Caps after 2.

Edit: According to Quant Hockey the record is 19 shots by Ray Bourque in 1991. If Ovie does have 13 shots he already makes the linked list and with 4 more tonight would be the second most all time Go #8!

Edit2: Looks like he finished with 14 shots on goal. He's had 15 shots twice before, only three players ever had more then 15 in a game. Heckuva night.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad