HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: Off-Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Helps when you actually have a competent coaching staff,Montreal has been in a perpetual rebuild for thirty years,thanks Molson
If we would be rebuilding for 30 years we would at least have one single top 50 player in the NHL something outside of goaltending and one subban season we havent even come close to sniffing

Reactions: LaP

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
No, Montreal has been in a perpetual try to make it in at 7th-8th seed.. still thanks Molson. But they're rebuilding now and they're doing it the right way; just people have unreasonable expectations on how fast a rebuild goes.

This is year 3.. the average length of time for a rebuild to hit is 5-10 seasons.

The rebuild began late in 2021 when gorton was hired. It hasn't even been 2 years.... It just feels much longer than that.

The pain isn't going away anytime soon.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If we would be rebuilding for 30 years we would at least have one single top 50 player in the NHL something outside of goaltending and one subban season we havent even come close to sniffing

I for one am glad i got to witness the greatness of prime Subban and prime Price, even if they were wasted by an incompetent management. Price was the best player in the league for a more or less 24 month period, thats something not a lot of fans get to see. Pittsburgh, Edmonton, Washington, Chicago, San Jose since the 04 lockout... thats about it?

Its not all doom and gloom.

Now offensively, if you want to talk about that...

The rebuild began late in 2021 when gorton was hired. It hasn't even been 2 years.... It just feels much longer than that.

The rebuild 2.0 sure... But Bergevin made a lot of rebuilding moves since 2016. He hadn't been a buyer sicne 2015, really. It's a poor excuse overall, the rebuild did not start in 2021 when Gorton was hired.

Rebuild moves before 2021:
Kovy for a 3rd
Scandella for a 2nd
Dlo for a 4th
Pac for Suzuki, Tatar and a 2nd
Morrow for a 4th
Pleks for a 2nd

I'd say at the very least, the rebuild started, gingerly, in early 2018 when they moved on from Pleks.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I for one am glad i got to witness the greatness of prime Subban and prime Price, even if they were wasted by an incompetent management. Price was the best player in the league for a more or less 24 month period, thats something not a lot of fans get to see. Pittsburgh, Edmonton, Washington, Chicago, San Jose since the 04 lockout... thats about it?

Its not all doom and gloom.

Now offensively, if you want to talk about that...

The rebuild 2.0 sure... But Bergevin made a lot of rebuilding moves since 2016. He hadn't been a buyer sicne 2015, really. It's a poor excuse overall, the rebuild did not start in 2021 when Gorton was hired.

Rebuild moves before 2021:
Kovy for a 3rd
Scandella for a 2nd
Dlo for a 4th
Pac for Suzuki, Tatar and a 2nd
Morrow for a 4th
Pleks for a 2nd

I'd say at the very least, the rebuild started, gingerly, in early 2018 when they moved on from Pleks.
Don't think you can make a case for a rebuild before 2021 because we got a bunch of 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks for guys who were not very good. The only real rebuild move in those is Patch. We did not trade vets at the deadline 2020 while we were 24th in the standings. That's where the discussion should end. If you keep Petry and Gallagher and extend them you are not rebuilding not even a little bit. Petry and Gallagher with their team friendly contract with 1 year remaining were worth both a 1st and a good prospect. Trading them also make sure we finish below 24th. Teams would have lineup up to get Gallagher in 2020.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Don't think you can make a case for a rebuild before 2021 because we got a bunch of 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks for guys who were not very good. The only real rebuild move in those is Patch. We did not trade vets at the deadline 2020 while we were 24th in the standings. That's where the discussion should end. If you keep Petry and Gallagher and extend them you are not rebuilding not even a little bit. Petry and Gallagher with their team friendly contract with 1 year remaining were worth both a 1st and a good prospect. Trading them also make sure we finish below 24th.
What you highlight is incompetence. The same people who like to ridiculize Buffalo for being in a perpetual rebuild don't actually take into account incompetence, why should we do it for our own team ? A rebuild starts when the team stops competing, because the primary vector of a rebuild is high picks.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
What you highlight is incompetence. The same people who like to ridiculize Buffalo for being in a perpetual rebuild don't actually take into account incompetence, why should we do it for our own team ? A rebuild starts when the team stops competing, because the primary vector of a rebuild is high picks.
If this was a rebuild attempt by MB then we need to talk about gross incompetence not just incompetence.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

Gorton didn't even start the rebuild when he was hired, he was focused on analyzing the organization and trying to find a new GM for the first two months. I wouldn't even be surprised if the talk with Gorton/Hughes/Molson was to sell him a quick run to the bottom for 2-3 seasons and then back to contending. So they didn't even want to use the word rebuilt to the media or sell players like Anderson/Dvorak/Allen.

But now Hughes is publicly calling it a rebuild and talking about 3-4 more years before focusing on winning.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If this was a rebuild attempt by MB then we need to talk about gross incompetence not just incompetence.
Are you new to Bergevin or something ? Did you sleep through the 2010s ? Lol. Gross incompetence might be too kind.

Im not sure what moving your 40 goal scoring winger for a 19 yo prospect, a pick and cap dump, and moving your 2nd line center for a 2nd rounder should be labeled as.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Gorton didn't even start the rebuild when he was hired, he was focused on analyzing the organization and trying to find a new GM for the first two months. I wouldn't even be surprised if the talk with Gorton/Hughes/Molson was to sell him a quick run to the bottom for 2-3 seasons and then back to contending. So they didn't even want to use the word rebuilt to the media or sell players like Anderson/Dvorak/Allen.

But now Hughes is publicly calling it a rebuild and talking about 3-4 more years before focusing on winning.

Important distinction is Molson is also talking about a rebuild.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
This is the so-called winning culture the HuGo Habs want to implement. I wish them well and luck. It seems pretty damn hard to replicate but there's no reason why we can't... but they could start with some accountability with the assistant coaches and scouts. Churn through the bad ones, eh?

I would believe more in accountability if HuGo had not hired their friends.

Reactions: ReHabs and 1909

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I said we should have matched; I wanted to see where his game was and then you can make the decision on the extension etc. after having another year of data.

That being said, that was a tougher task for Bergevin because he had already ruined the relationship with KK. I would have not let that happen because I'm not an arrogant prick like he was.

Bergevin created his own mess and navigated out of it in the worst way possible, as he did for his entire 10 year tenure.

I still maintain the problem was Ducharme. He illogically benched KK on their last playoff game and from what we heard that's when KK told his agent:"get me the Hell out of there!". Then he signed the offer sheet for 6 million and I cannot blame Bergevin to not agree to paying him that.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I still maintain the problem was Ducharme. He illogically benched KK on their last playoff game and from what we heard that's when KK told his agent:"get me the Hell out of there!". Then he signed the offer sheet for 6 million and I cannot blame Bergevin to not agree to paying him that.
The 6 million is IRRELEVANT. If they had signed him they just offer a long term contract that makes up for that. If the problem was only Ducharme that is easily fixed. Fire him, admit the mistake, and offer KK reasonable long term deal.

Reactions: morhilane and Mrb1p

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
The 6 million is IRRELEVANT. If they had signed him they just offer a long term contract that makes up for that. If the problem was only Ducharme that is easily fixed. Fire him, admit the mistake, and offer KK reasonable long term deal.

Sure. But the kid wanted out and there is no garantees he would have re-signed.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Damn NJD are seriously fun to watch. Ultra skilled
I took this out of the Devils thread, but these lines are why I don't mind waiting a few years at the bottom of the basement. This team needs its Jack Hughes or Mackinnon. The rest will fall in place with decent management.

Toffoli - Hughes - Meier
Palat - Hischier - Bratt
Mercer - Haula - Holtz
Lazar - McLeod - Bastian

Reactions: LaP and Redux91

Yasuo

Sep 7, 2016
I can see Toffoli scoring ppg+ this year if he play all year with Jack hughes. Even 90+ points would not surprise me.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
laterally a coin flip, and central scouting BPA (no scouts) would have established a better franchise in the final 30 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad