HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: Off-Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
What is it with those f***ing Bruins....lollll. Wait they are losing this player, that player...they are getting old.....now wait...they are losing Bergeron and Krejci. Now they'll drop.....what's next? We have to wait till Pastrnak retires? lol
Bruins are great at being consistently good. Won't get you many cups but they're always in the mix.

TSN = Leafs TV :slaugh:

As it should be!

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Bruins are great at being consistently good. Won't get you many cups but they're always in the mix.
This is the so-called winning culture the HuGo Habs want to implement. I wish them well and luck. It seems pretty damn hard to replicate but there's no reason why we can't... but they could start with some accountability with the assistant coaches and scouts. Churn through the bad ones, eh?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I likely wouldn’t hire either - probably give Eric Tulsky a very serious look, if not try to go the route of MLB thinking. They’ve been avant garde wrt management over last 30+ years

The NHL game in 5-10 years will be managed and operated in a very different fashion IMO
If you had to choose between the 2 ??
LOL.............We know....no worries.

The game does change every so often, so the GM's have to be on that curve.
Drafting and developing will always be the way to make the team better, but so many variables...

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Are we suppose to write about our buffalo here? I guess....

I believe Savard was injured at the end unfortunately :(

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
If you had to choose between the 2 ??
LOL.............We know....no worries.

The game does change every so often, so the GM's have to be on that curve.
Drafting and developing will always be the way to make the team better, but so many variables...
More & more owners coming in are hedge fund types. GMs job going fwd will be much less about pure hockey ops, and more about profit margin maximization while trying to win, which will require different skill sets than traditional GMs

Hawks seriously considering hiring Jeff Greenberg (present Cubs GM), who had no hockey background, before settling on Davidson will become more the norm IMO

Just as once upon a time a high school grad could start in the mailroom and climb the corporate ladder… those days are gonzo. High end graduate degrees have become standard in corporations now for a while, NHL will inevitably follow suit

Last edited:

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
16 games tonight, all with different start times. I have never seen the nhl do that. Good night to have the hockey package.

Reactions: sampollock

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I'm not buying it from Boston this year. They will fall back to the pack this time.
Disagree. Both goalies are better than most teams' starter and light-years ahead of their backups. So much of this game is goaltending. Heroic goaltending motivates every skater to give more and fight till the end. Sieve-like tending deflates even the McDavids and Draisaitls, who then mail it in by the second period. Moreover, they have a strong defense as well. This is the Islanders model, perfected, then complemented by elite forwards like Pasta and Marchand.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Whoever thought it was a good idea should probably be fired. Enforcing official jersey at all time is one thing but forcing players to use black tape and white laces and banning print on goalies mask etc is another one cause if you ban the rainbow on those you have to ban everything else if you don't want to pass as homophobe. Can't just say no rainbow on tape but you can use blue tape doesn't make sense. Same for goalies mask can't ban the rainbow on those and be like everything else is fine.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
More & more owners coming in are hedge fund types. GMs job going fwd will be much less about pure hockey ops, and more about profit margin maximization while trying to win, which will require different skill sets than traditional GMs

Hawks seriously considering hiring Jeff Greenberg (present Cubs GM), who had no hockey background, before settling on Davidson will become more the norm IMO

Just as once upon a time a high school grad could start in the mailroom and climb the corporate ladder… those days are gonzo. High end graduate degrees have become standard in corporations now for a while, NHL will inevitably follow suit
Something to keep in mind is that going with someone with little to no hockey background doesn't automatically mean it's about business aspects over hockey ops. A GM is first and foremost a manager, and those skills are often very translatable across industries. Like I'd take a GM who can build an elite scouting department over one whose personal scouting abilities are very good.

But yeah NHL is way behind the times and things will change, although slowly.

Reactions: Zam Boni

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I feel pretty safe in saying that if the only people truly happy about a decision are literal totalitarian dictators and religious bigots , said decision might be a pretty bad one to begin with. Took the league a while to get there, although it's only partially righting a terrible wrong in the end

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
TSN = Leafs TV :slaugh:

So what? Almost half the country lives in Ontario and cheer for the leafs. Don't you think it's normal they're targeting the bigger market? Do you hear much of anything other than the Habs on RDS? Stop acting like TSN owes you anything.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
So what? Almost half the country lives in Ontario and cheer for the leafs. Don't you think it's normal they're targeting the bigger market? Do you hear much of anything other than the Habs on RDS? Stop acting like TSN owes you anything.
RDS was doing the same before TVA Sports. I personally used to call it RDSCM "Le réseau des Sports du Canadiens de Mourial". They used to ignore pretty much everything that was not CH or one time events like grand prix, grand slams and super bowl.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
RDS was doing the same before TVA Sports. I personally used to call it RDSCM "Le réseau des Sports du Canadiens de Mourial". They used to ignore pretty much everything that was not CH or one time events like grand prix, grand slams and super bowl.
Exactly. That's what they need to do, business wise, to maximise revenue.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hmmm, I guess you never watched PCO during lunch hours.

Or the sunday morning chasses et pêches.

Or the saturday morning world strongest man with Savickas and Pudzianowski dominating every event.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

If it's a National Broadcast, you owe it to the other team and their fanbase to talk about them. Toronto vs. Montreal on opening night was a national broadcast, yet it was centered around all Leafs talk like it was a regional game. It's so one sided, it's comical.

All other fanbases of the Canadian teams have the same issue. If the Leafs are playing the Sens, they still talk mostly about the Leafs.

I would give RDS and TVA Sports a pass, because they're sports networks based only in Quebec. So it's only normal that whether regional broadcast or national games , they'd focus on the Habs, unlike TSN and Sportsnet, who are networks available throughout the country.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
If it's a National Broadcast, you owe it to the other team and their fanbase to talk about them. Toronto vs. Montreal on opening night was a national broadcast, yet it was centered around all Leafs talk like it was a regional game. It's so one sided, it's comical.

All other fanbases of the Canadian teams have the same issue. If the Leafs are playing the Sens, they still talk mostly about the Leafs.

I would give RDS and TVA Sports a pass, because they're sports networks based only in Quebec. So it's only normal that whether regional broadcast or national games , they'd focus on the Habs, unlike TSN and Sportsnet, who are networks available throughout the country.

Also, not everyone in Ontario cheers the Leafs... (I am well aware most likely do of course)

But yeah, regional broadcasts I get but it's pretty annoying for national games.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004

You are able to get RDS and TVA across the country. I used to have RDS when they broadcasted all the Habs games throughout the country. That changed when the new TV deal came into place as TVA took over the national rights and RDS was now only for the regional broadcast. When RDS had both they would just make all the games national so everyone throughout Canada could watch the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad