Value of: Ottawa Shake up

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Ehh, they can still opt to work if the team is willing to pay more than their fired team... But I dunno that anybody pays him significantly more than the $3.5M STL owes him this year and next.

That's part of the reason Babcock never worked until his contract expired. Nobody was coming close to matching the $6.25M x 4 Toronto owed him.
Thats the point.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
The OP hates Brady Tkachuk and dumps on him pretty much constantly.
I don't know why? Brady is a no go period unless you got a similer player ++ which isn't going to happen. Would love Brady on the Habs but that's not happening.

Tkachuk is a rare breed, a top-line power forward, and is a young captain. Mistakes will be made, but he is part of the solution, not the problem.
Right on.:thumbu:

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
The Blues would do unspeakable things for Brady Tkachuk. Sens won't move him though unless they're trying to completely shake up the team culture and I certainly don't see Ottawa moving him for a package that makes sense for the rebuilding Blues.

Definitely interested in Chabot and whoever else may actually come available as I really like the Sens on paper.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
The Blues would do unspeakable things for Brady Tkachuk. Sens won't move him though unless they're trying to completely shake up the team culture and I certainly don't see Ottawa moving him for a package that makes sense for the rebuilding Blues.

Definitely interested in Chabot and whoever else may actually come available as I really like the Sens on paper.
Pretty much everybody would do unspeakable things for Brady lol. He's better and younger than Bertuzzi and there were tons of teams rumored to be interested in him last year.

Reactions: WhataKnight

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
What would the present value of Joseph be? I wanted the Canucks to acquire him from the Lightning and have been a fan for a while. I figure he'd be hard to pin down given that the Senators couldn't give him away in the off-season. He's also injured again and I can't seem to find much information on that timeline.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
What would the present value of Joseph be? I wanted the Canucks to acquire him from the Lightning and have been a fan for a while. I figure he'd be hard to pin down given that the Senators couldn't give him away in the off-season. He's also injured again and I can't seem to find much information on that timeline.

I'd give Detroit's 1st for Joseph and a 2nd to Columbus for their cannon.

... Then fire Joseph out of the cannon to the f***ing sun.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015

he's not a problem, one of the few players who the new coach would actually like how he plays.

so just like Greig, Pinto, Zub you gotta overpay for him. no point selling him cheap just cuz for a 2nd or prospects.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Joseph has had a very good season. He has been the Senators most consistent forward all season. I haven't seen an injury update either fwiw.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
The Senators need a new coach but the core might very well need change as well. too many bffs who don't bring out the best in each other and at this point are probably pissed at each other.

So if the coach is replaced and the team still plays amatuer hockey there will be trades made.

only untouchables would be

Stutzle
Greig
Pinto
Sanderson
Zub

which leaves from the core

Brady
Chabot
Norris
Chychrun
Batherson

team needs are:

heavy top 4 rd
a major shakeup (brady for rantanen type)
Unfortunately there’s going to be some, who think since this is gonna be Sanderson’s D-Core, Chabot is then expendable, and they can cash in by trading him. It’ll be a bad mistake, and the most Ottawa EVER thing to do.

You need 2 pair carrying dmen in the playoffs, and they have 3 with Chychrun. Unfortunately he may not be the type who can tighten up his game, in a playoff series.

Batherson is who screams “trade him” but I’m not sure they’d be happy with the return. Who knows what Pinto’s value is right now, but if he comes back and looks good, he’s a piece team’s will covet. They won’t end up paying Norris, Stutzle and Pinto top dollars, so maybe he is the guy they end up moving. Within 2 years, there’s a really good chance they’re gonna have to “pay” Pinto. So they have some time on that decision, but that could shake things up come February.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Unfortunately there’s going to be some, who think since this is gonna be Sanderson’s D-Core, Chabot is then expendable, and they can cash in by trading him. It’ll be a bad mistake, and the most Ottawa EVER thing to do.

You need 2 pair carrying dmen in the playoffs, and they have 3 with Chychrun. Unfortunately he may not be the type who can tighten up his game, in a playoff series.

Batherson is who screams “trade him” but I’m not sure they’d be happy with the return. Who knows what Pinto’s value is right now, but if he comes back and looks good, he’s a piece team’s will covet. They won’t end up paying Norris, Stutzle and Pinto top dollars, so maybe he is the guy they end up moving. Within 2 years, there’s a really good chance they’re gonna have to “pay” Pinto. So they have some time on that decision, but that could shake things up come February.
Batherson screams trade me while at the same time is hollering to keep. His contract is an illusion for the holes in his game.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Batherson screams trade me while at the same time is hollering to keep. His contract is an illusion for the holes in his game.

25yrs old
6ft3, 200lbs
4.975 until 2027
69 point pace since 2021-22
75th in points per game among forwards since 2021-22
89th in total points among forwards since 2021-22
Currently the 137th highest paid forward in NHL

If we assume 96 top-line forwards, then he's paid like a middle-of-the-pack 2nd liner but produces like a lower-end 1st liner. Yes he's poor defensively, but that's still a bargain contract, even before the cap (and salaries) keep rising.

He worked well with Norris in 2021-22, but Norris has dealt with a lot since then and hasn't shown he's that same player since. Obviously that can change, but either way - Batherson is underpaid for what he brings, even if he doesn't bring the D. lol

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Is it the core though, or would a good coach just get them on the right track?

I look at the core pieces and I don't see how the hell they can have an issue with a core of Stutzle/Tkachuk/Sanderson/Chabot/Norris. I dunno. Sometimes I look at Detroit and think, while everybody views them as having lesser talent than Buffalo and Ottawa, is their success this season because they have an understanding of the player/team identity they want and assemble their team/hire staff accordingly?

I legit don't know if that's a problem for Ottawa (Or Buffalo) because I don't follow them closely enough and am asking. From a Detroit perspective, seems Yzerman loves his workhorse, two way forwards and big defensemen, and drafts and signs players according to that profile. And then hired a coach that is of the same mindset. I'm not saying you need that specific setup. I'm more asking if it may be an issue where Ottawa has just slapped together different talented players with no real direction or "Identity" and expect them to just be good because they're talented?

I look at the core pieces and I don't see how the hell they can have an issue with a core of Stutzle/Tkachuk/Sanderson/Chabot/Norris. I dunno. Sometimes I look at Detroit and think, while everybody views them as having lesser talent than Buffalo and Ottawa, is their success this season because they have an understanding of the player/team identity they want and assemble their team/hire staff accordingly?

I legit don't know if that's a problem for Ottawa (Or Buffalo) because I don't follow them closely enough and am asking. From a Detroit perspective, seems Yzerman loves his workhorse, two way forwards and big defensemen, and drafts and signs players according to that profile. And then hired a coach that is of the same mindset. I'm not saying you need that specific setup. I'm more asking if it may be an issue where Ottawa has just slapped together different talented players with no real direction or "Identity" and expect them to just be good because they're talented?

There is definitely some truth to this.

If I compare the Wings to the Sens the Wings have a roster of veteran depth that usefully fills out a team.

On D, Ottawa is running Docker and Branstrom as regular and Sanderson is the top PKer. That's alot of growing pains to live through. The Wings went with vets like Petry, Chariot and Holl.

The bottom 6 of the Sens is simply brutal and inexperienced with limited upside. That's a lot of growing pains to live through and is on the pro scouting staff for not identifying better players. Kubalik is a drain. Chartier, Kelly, Kastelic, Macewan are all rookies with limited upside - that's simply too many guys to grow through those pains with.

Last edited:

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I'm thinking Greig might be the piece they move, since Pinto won't be easy to move for a couple of seasons until the whole gambling thing fades away, and they seemed to be somewhat in competition for the same #3C role.
Greig will adjust to the wing, has played wing at times this year already

Reactions: pth2

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I am not in favour of a shakeup and want to see what this roster does now with a new coach this is the first time many of these players have a coach at the NHL level who is not DJ smith.

Untouchables
- Stützle
- Sanderson
- Tkachuk

Close to Untouchables
- Batherson
- Chychrun
- Giroux
- Pinto & Greig
- Zub

Hate to move but ill do it.
- Chabot
- Joseph
- Norris

Open for business
- Tarasenko
- Kubalik
- Brannstrom
- Forsberg
- Kastelic
- Kelly

Not Moveable
- Hamonic
- Korpisalo
- JBD (Cleared Waivers)
- MacEwan

Reactions: WhataKnight

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
I was at the game yesterday Ottawa had control of the game for the most part in the first, the minute I saw a Vegas player almost split the d for a breakaway I knew that was it (Vegas would eventually score a breakaway goal).

They have the players to turn it around the system and style of play defensively is what needs to change that’s both on the d and forwards.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
The two biggest farces of the NHL based on hype and 'future' are certainly the Sabres and the Sens, two pathetic teams that are still stuck In a decade long rebuild / tank

Almost more pathetic than the old oilers before McJesus came along

Reactions: dirtydanglez

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The Senators need a new coach but the core might very well need change as well. too many bffs who don't bring out the best in each other and at this point are probably pissed at each other.

So if the coach is replaced and the team still plays amatuer hockey there will be trades made.

only untouchables would be

Stutzle
Greig
Pinto
Sanderson
Zub

which leaves from the core

Brady
Chabot
Norris
Chychrun
Batherson

team needs are:

heavy top 4 rd
a major shakeup (brady for rantanen type)
What would you want for Norris?

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
The two biggest farces of the NHL based on hype and 'future' are certainly the Sabres and the Sens, two pathetic teams that are still stuck In a decade long rebuild / tank

Almost more pathetic than the old oilers before McJesus came along

Ottawa made the conference finals 6 years ago, then went into a rebuild.
How quickly did you expect them to be good after trading every player away?
Sure they should be better this year, but that’s what the coaching change is all about.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Sure they should be better this year, but that’s what the coaching change is all about.
Not to mention they were never handed a single 1st overall pick. You look at nearly every top team right now and they sport either one or several 1st overall picks. Have to respect a team like Boston though who built their team through good drafting and development.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Sorry but Rebuilds shouldn't be lasting a decade.

Look at the kings for a successful rebuild / reset

There are a bunch more examples like leafs bolts jets devils canes and so on

This will be year 7 for the sens of tanking / losing. That's an insane amount of time of being pure trash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad