Value of: Ottawa Shake up

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I don’t see why Ottawa would consider a shake up.

young and in line to get another young talent

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You must check yourself to some institute to want to move Brady Tkachuk, he's more of a unicorn than his brother. All 31 teams will be calling.
OP has an inexplicable unhealthy hatred for him. No one else other than one guy from the entire fanbase wants to trade him. They're both very vocal. Doesn't represent any reality.

korpisalo, Chychrun
For
Campbell, Ceci, 1st, Bourgault, Broberg, 2nd
Holy f*** that's terrible for Ottawa.

SNES

Aug 7, 2012
Manotick
At this point there’s no reason for a roster shake up. No one or two player swap is going to miraculously turn them into a playoff team. They just need to eat this season and draft a top pick. Let the new GM and Coach have at it in the off season. As much as it pains me to say this and watch another season get flushed 🤮

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
OP has an inexplicable unhealthy hatred for him. No one else other than one guy from the entire fanbase wants to trade him. They're both very vocal. Doesn't represent any reality.

Holy f*** that's terrible for Ottawa.
Ok conditional 3rd

You may need to add more just to dump Campbell. Never mind actually receiving useful players back.
Campbell had a 940 sv pct in the playoffs last year

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
There's more untouchables than what's outlined in this thread. I would say at this stage untouchable players or extremely unlikely to be traded would be:

Tkachuk
Stutzle
Norris
Pinto
Greig
Giroux
Zub
Sanderson

I would say some that are maybe more likely to be traded if things don't turn around:

One of Chychrun/Chabot
Batherson
Brannstrom
Maybe Joseph but he's playing really well lately

Players that will get traded at some point:

Kubalik
Tarasenko
Kelly

All in all, very unlikely to see anyone from the first list traded but I could see someone like Batherson or Chychrun/Chabot used to make some changes in the lineup. Maybe try and acquire a rugged defensive Dman that can play the right side.

I don't foresee major changes in this lineup but I could see one bigger trade.

Toilet teams don’t have 8 untouchables lmao

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
There's more untouchables than what's outlined in this thread. I would say at this stage untouchable players or extremely unlikely to be traded would be:

Tkachuk
Stutzle
Norris
Pinto
Greig
Giroux
Zub
Sanderson

I would say some that are maybe more likely to be traded if things don't turn around:

One of Chychrun/Chabot
Batherson
Brannstrom
Maybe Joseph but he's playing really well lately

Players that will get traded at some point:

Kubalik
Tarasenko
Kelly

All in all, very unlikely to see anyone from the first list traded but I could see someone like Batherson or Chychrun/Chabot used to make some changes in the lineup. Maybe try and acquire a rugged defensive Dman that can play the right side.

I don't foresee major changes in this lineup but I could see one bigger trade.
Parker Kelly has two goals and 8 points in his last two seasons (83 games) of work. I can't imagine he has any value at all to anyone that's not Ottawa.

Reactions: Boud

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Parker Kelly has two goals and 8 points in his last two seasons (83 games) of work. I can't imagine he has any value at all to anyone that's not Ottawa.

To be clear, he doesn't have any value to Ottawa either.

On the other hand, he doesn't have any real negative value like some players out there on anchor contracts like Campbell.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
To be clear, he doesn't have any value to Ottawa either.

On the other hand, he doesn't have any real negative value like some players out there on anchor contracts like Campbell.
Oh for sure. He's probably a guy that has a 50/50 chance to get picked up on waivers by someone, but that's about it. Just not a guy that's going to be a piece bringing back anything that's going to help the Sens.

You guys should just hire Jay Woodcroft and get it over with. He's a great coach.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
goaltending has to be the biggest issue but one of the hardest to fix right now. ottawa made a foreseeable mistake with koripsalo when there were many other goaltending options on the table.

the other issue is the leadership. this organization has been a sideshow for years so they need to bring in so no non-sense experienced vets for stability.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
goaltending has to be the biggest issue but one of the hardest to fix right now. ottawa made a foreseeable mistake with koripsalo when there were many other goaltending options on the table.

the other issue is the leadership. this organization has been a sideshow for years so they need to bring in so no non-sense experienced vets for stability.

I'm not so sure it's goaltending. Both talbot and Gustafson who looked pretty shake with the sens have had very good seasons after leaving.

I think it has more to do with the poor defensive play of the team.

Reactions: SNES

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Jake Sanderson was brutal in the game last night. Easily the worst player on the ice. Sanderson has a long long way to go before he's a top NHL defenseman.

I don't know what the stats say, but the eye test says he's rather meh.

Though, I get called a hater and shit, but he's f***ed up a fair amount and looked really dumb doing it on some goals.

Sens would score, put him and his partner out and he would do some awkward defending and give up a goal.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
They've built themselves into a corner. They can only hope a new coach can coach them out of it. They've gone too young again like a few other teams and had a friend first coach.

Doesn't it feel like that? Go to Buffalo and you almost don't know who to blame on the roster. Okposo? The guy retired twice already and is doing fine for himself. Giroux? He can only do so much and he's also earning his paycheck.

There's no pressure and once you become a known loser team, no expectations, no pride. Guys are happy to come in and earn their $8M a year.

Buffalo thought they shipped out the Judases on the team in ROR and Eichel and both won cups immediately. They thought they had all the players that wanted to be here and are Sabres at heart butpegular was kidding himself.

Ottawa shouldn't be in a hurry to lose a trade thinking a shake up is going to help but once you've handed out those big contracts, there's only so much you can do nowadays without a PA grievance and the agents and media going after you.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Toilet teams don’t have 8 untouchables lmao

Obviously if a trade offer comes up that makes sense, could they trade Josh Norris or Artem Zub? Sure they could! At the same time, if they want to be a good team going forward they need:

1) Center Depth - Because of that I don't anticipate that any of the centers will be traded away (Stutzle, Norris, Pinto and Greig). Ottawa is also against the cap. Trading guys like Pinto and Greig who are making small salary for what they bring is not really a good idea.

2) Defensive defensemen - Artem Zub is the only good defensemen on this team that plays right side. Doesn't make any sense at all to trade him. Sanderson will not be traded that's obvious.

Thing is you need to look at this team and the needs that they have. The only other player I added is Giroux because he signed here to be with his family. Could they trade him? Maybe. Is it likely? I don't think so at this point. Tkachuk won't be traded that's also obvious.

Maybe you're getting caught up in the ''Untouchable'' definition but the reality is this is a team trying to win and not a team trying to rebuild. They need to make some tweaks to the lineup and to the structure they are playing with. They don't need to trade everyone or make everyone available. New ownership and management will not make everyone available either. They are evaluating this roster to determine how they could get better for next year. That means addressing areas of need rather than shifting the entire roster.

If it makes you happier change ''untouchable'' to ''unlikely to be traded''. Besides that, I think guys like Chychrun, Chabot, Batherson and Joseph are major pieces on this team, and they could be available. Trading any of these guys would be a pretty major trade. I've been following this team for a long time, I can pretty confidently tell you that these are the realistic options that could be moved.

It's the same thing for New Jersey. Are they making everyone available at this stage? Obviously not! They need to tinkle with their lineup, add a goalie. You won't see them turn over their roster completely just for fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: PatrickMcC

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
How to fix the Sens

1/4 fix the goaltending

fix the goaltending, ever since Craig Anderson left, goaltending has been a disaster. Unfortunately we’re locked into this Korpisalo contract so we can’t trade him. Forsberg on the other hand can be dealt at the deadline for Pennie’s and cap space. Soogard is ready and has been playing well in the AHL. Call him up for a tandem role with Korpisalo and run that for atleast the next 2 years until it makes financial sense to buy Korpisalo out (unless if Korpisalo play dramatically improves) buy out should happen by year 3 or 4 of his 5 year contract and by then Soogard will be ready for full time duties and get him a competent backup

2/4 fix the defense

our defense is currently unbalanced with guys who lean too much on the offensive side, to guys that are too small, to guys that are too old, to guys that don’t move the needle. We need to rebalance this D core and the best way to do it is to trade one of Chabot or Chychrun. Most people would say to trade Chabot but I believe trading Chychrun makes the most sense. Chychrun has a great contract and is fully healthy while Chabot has a much bigger contract and has had 2 significant injuries this year (albeit I believe he can bounce back from those). It would be much easier to trade Chychrun given these factors. Now what we need is a steady, physical, responsible defenseman who can break the puck out effectively. In a perfect world I believe the defenseman we should target is Erik Cernak. It’s not as simple as making a 1 for 1 trade unfortunately as we would have to fill a need for Tampa and that need isn’t at LD with Sergachev and Hedman managing the helm there. They would need value to make trading away Cernak worth it for them + they would need a replacement. Here is my attempt at a 3 way trade that satisfies everyone: it’s well known that LA highly coveted Chychrun before getting Gavrikov at the deadline. So I propose a 3 way trade between LA/Ottawa/Tampa with LA getting Chychrun, Ottawa getting Cernak, and Tampa getting Matt Roy (Cernak replacement that they can resign for cheaper) a 1st and a 2nd.

3/4 fix our depth

We are an extremely poor defensive team with poor structure. Part of that is coaching, and part of that is personnel. We need to acquire/sign guys that are good defensively. Some examples include acquiring/signing guys like Tyler Pitlick, Ryan Poehling, Lars Eller, Hudson Fashing, Nick Dowd, Keegan Kolesar, Trevor Lewis, Pius Suter.

4/4 find a Claude Giroux replacement

Giroux isn’t getting any younger and his play will eventually start to fall and Ottawas pipeline is thin with no replacement in sight. Luckily there’s a simple solution to this mess. We’re currently the fourth worst team in the nhl points pct wise so I believe we should fully lean into this and grab a top 5 pick in this upcoming draft to draft someone like Celebrini/Eiserman/Demidov/Catton.

Profit$$$

New roster in 2 years:

Tkachuk-Stützle-Eiserman/Demidov

Greig-Norris-Batherson

Fashing-Pinto-Joseph

Poehling-Giroux/Suter-Kolesar

Sanderson-Cernak

Chabot-Zub

Kleven-Brannstrom

Soogard/Korpisalo

Flame away this was just for fun

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Obviously if a trade offer comes up that makes sense, could they trade Josh Norris or Artem Zub? Sure they could! At the same time, if they want to be a good team going forward they need:

1) Center Depth - Because of that I don't anticipate that any of the centers will be traded away (Stutzle, Norris, Pinto and Greig). Ottawa is also against the cap. Trading guys like Pinto and Greig who are making small salary for what they bring is not really a good idea.

2) Defensive defensemen - Artem Zub is the only good defensemen on this team that plays right side. Doesn't make any sense at all to trade him. Sanderson will not be traded that's obvious.

Thing is you need to look at this team and the needs that they have. The only other player I added is Giroux because he signed here to be with his family. Could they trade him? Maybe. Is it likely? I don't think so at this point. Tkachuk won't be traded that's also obvious.

Maybe you're getting caught up in the ''Untouchable'' definition but the reality is this is a team trying to win and not a team trying to rebuild. They need to make some tweaks to the lineup and to the structure they are playing with. They don't need to trade everyone or make everyone available. New ownership and management will not make everyone available either. They are evaluating this roster to determine how they could get better for next year. That means addressing areas of need rather than shifting the entire roster.

If it makes you happier change ''untouchable'' to ''unlikely to be traded''. Besides that, I think guys like Chychrun, Chabot, Batherson and Joseph are major pieces on this team, and they could be available. Trading any of these guys would be a pretty major trade. I've been following this team for a long time, I can pretty confidently tell you that these are the realistic options that could be moved.

It's the same thing for New Jersey. Are they making everyone available at this stage? Obviously not! They need to tinkle with their lineup, add a goalie. You won't see them turn over their roster completely just for fun.

Realistically it’s going to take years to be competitive, by that point Zub is 30+ and whatever middle-6 centres that are cheap right now are going to be looking at their bridge deals. Stutzle and Sanderson are the only real longterm core pieces in terms of talent and contract, Giroux probably won’t move for the reasons you stated. Everyone else is a tier 2 piece at best.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
They won't make a big move in season, but could see one of Chabot/Chychrun moved for a more defensive RHD. Also a big hole at RW after Giroux leaves. Needs are Defensive RHD, Two-way RW, 4th line depth players, and Goaltending upgrades.

List below is based on their age and contract status on July 1, 2024.

Untouchables
- LW Tkachuk (24, 4x$8.2M)
- C Stützle (22, 7x$8.35M)
- LD/RD Sanderson (21, $8x$8M)

Very Likely Not Going Anywhere
- RW Giroux (35, 1x$6.5M)
- C Norris (25, 6x$8M)
- C Pinto (23, RFA)
- C/LW Grieg (21, RFA)
- RD Zub (29, 3x$4.6M)
- G Korpisalo (30, 4x$4M)

Chance They're Dangled
- RW Batherson (26, 3x$5M)
- LD Chabot (27, 4x$8M)
- LD/RD Chychrun (25, 1x$4.6M)
- LW/RW Joseph (27, 2x$2.9M)
- RD Bernard-Docker (24, RFA)

Almost Definitely Not Here Next Year
- G Forsberg (31, 2x$2.9M)
- LD/RD Brannstrom (24, RFA)
- RW Tarasenko (32, UFA)
- LW Kubalik (28, UFA)

Fire Into The Sun
- RD Hamonic (old/bad, $1x$1.1M, NMC)
- Kelly (not good)
- C Kastelic (useless)
- RW MacEwen (really useless)

I'm probably missing someone but that's the jist of it with their current roster.

horner

May 22, 2007
The Senators need a new coach but the core might very well need change as well. too many bffs who don't bring out the best in each other and at this point are probably pissed at each other.

So if the coach is replaced and the team still plays amatuer hockey there will be trades made.

only untouchables would be

Stutzle
Greig
Pinto
Sanderson
Zub

which leaves from the core

Brady
Chabot
Norris
Chychrun
Batherson

team needs are:

heavy top 4 rd
a major shakeup (brady for rantanen type)
I would think Tkachuk is untouchable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad