Post-Game Talk: Oilers Do Dallas and deliver the goods

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I picked Oilers in 7. I might be wrong. These people that do this for a living that unanimously picked the Stars is odd enough but guys like Spector picking them in 5 is Oilers hating agenda. spector should no longer have credentials to cover the Oilers because he cannot be objective or even fair about them and its been the case for a long while.
There’s another mystery solved why the Oilers are suddenly short with local media :laugh:.

Board comment: I still say Vancouver was the biggest obstacle to get past to get to the finals. If they took the Oil out, I think this series would still be 3-2 Vancouver. Whatever Knoblauch has seen in Dallas’s attack, he’s been able to come up with a way to counter it-just like the Van series. Just like playing the game looks so easy to a lot of guys, there are coaches who make it look easy too. I think the Oilers finally have a staff that make it look easy.

The Oilers have outscored the Stars 7-3 (excluding the EN) the last two games…I don’t know where this version of Skinner over the last 6 periods has been, but he basically shut them out for nearly two full games looking at the time when they scored goal #2 in game 4 to when they finally got one by him last night. Whatever he’s been doing, he needs to keep it up.

The Oilers have them on the ropes. There was a look on DeBoer’s face last night in his post game that was not of fear and it wasn’t panic. It was confusion.

The Oilers got this. No second chances, they need to give the knockout blow tomorrow night.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Your not wrong, Dallas being off helped in game 4, last night was a totally different story.

I hope there is a way for Gagner to get a few games.

This. What are the rules to get name on cup again? Just 1 Finals game? IIRC, there was some rule about minimum reg games but I dont remember if that was active iced or includes scratched but on active roster.

Reactions: McDoused

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Any thoughts on trying this bottom 6 at some point? Carick didn't have a great game 5. Can our PK afford to not have Ryan/Carrick?

I think Foegele should get another chance and maybe he comes back with a chip on his shoulder.

Foegele Henrique Kane
Janmark Holloway Brown

Reactions: McDoused

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Broberg is an interesting case. If you ignore his NHL career so far, you have a player who is

- 22 years old
- Drafted 8th overall
- 6'4
- skates well
- 65 points and +23 in 87 AHL games

That sounds like a blue chip prospect, yet he got talked about like a bust. There is legit top pairing potential here isn't there?
Yes there is like some of us have talked about with the continued support. What fans don't realize is that majority of his games were under Tippett and then Woodcroft where he was a #7 Dman sitting on the bench. I wouldn't count those as games where he showed his talent to the fullest extent

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I swear Spector is trying to get fired to get a severance package from SN.
With the discussion going on in one of the other threads about the Oilers not renewing with SN as the regional broadcast network (yet), I wonder if behind the scenes they have been told the Oilers are letting the contract expire to explore the other option. Spector feels slighted they’re jumping ship and it’s all the Oilers fault, so he’s starting to be a prick instead of a dick.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Yep.

Nurse (even at his best) has never been a great QB/distributor of the puck. The one thing he can do well is rush the puck up the ice, but even that doesn't work when it's the only breakout opposition teams need to key in on.

It's the main reason why he always struggles when playing with guys like Larsson, Ceci, or Vinny: Nurse tries to do everything, and it just becomes a mess.

Meanwhile, it seems like this has been one aspect that Broberg's focused on down in Bakersfield. He could always skate the puck with the best of them, but his vision and anticipation are both massively improved.

Going back to Nurse, this is where getting him with Kulak is a massive upgrade. As Brett's quick enough to get to loose pucks and can headman the puck himself without having to look Nurse's way. The usual Nurse-Ceci special of getting hemmed in by a cycle for a minute+ followed by a clown show of a breakout just doesn't happen with Kulak on the ice.
100% agreed. It's also why Broberg and Ceci are working well together. Broberg has gotten great at breaking the puck out with his passing so you don't have two Dmen on no mans land.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Any thoughts on trying this bottom 6 at some point? Carick didn't have a great game 5. Can our PK afford to not have Ryan/Carrick?

I think Foegele should get another chance and maybe he comes back with a chip on his shoulder.

Foegele Henrique Kane
Janmark Holloway Brown
Mix n match is what Knoblauch has been doing all season... don't care how he puts them anymore... I just want to see a HHH line at some point.

Holloway-Henrique-Hyman would be a great '3rd' line

Nuge-McD-Kane
McL-Drai-Perry
Janmark-Carrick/Ryan-Foegele/Brown

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Spector having Dallas in 5 is just further proof he hates the Oilers. Like why does this guy even cover the team? He clearly doesn't enjoy it.
It doesn't prove anything..
Dallas was the top team in West and eliminated both Vegas and Colorado.

Any sane betting man would have picked Dallas over Edmonton especially when looking at goaltending and health concerns with Draisaitl, Kane and even McDavid.

We are this far mainly due to our coaches.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
This. What are the rules to get name on cup again? Just 1 Finals game? IIRC, there was some rule about minimum reg games but I dont remember if that was active iced or includes scratched but on active roster.

I think it’s either at least 1 Finals game or at least 41 regular season games.

Otherwise you can ask the NHL to put some names on (I think it’s only 2 though and they have to approve).

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

Any sane betting man would have picked Dallas over Edmonton especially when looking at goaltending and health concerns with Draisaitl, Kane and even McDavid.

This is kind of the problem with gambling and betting isn't it? Just because someone is favourited in odds doesn't make it a guarantee. Like if the odds were 60/40 Dallas isn't doesn't make you insane to bet on the 40, it just means you would get a better payout if you take the underdog.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

re the bolded...I agree.
I dont get the hate for a media personality that picked the Stars in 5..
So picking the Stars in 5 means Spector hates the Oilers?
Maybe it just means he thought the Stars were a better team which is what most media personalitites (and most people) thought.

Have to LOL at the notion that he shouldnt be allowed to cover the Oilers because of his (wrong) prediciton.
This place sometimes. :shakehead:

Reactions: McDoused and LTIR

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
re the bolded...I agree.
I dont get the hate for a media personality that picked the Stars in 5..
So picking the Stars in 5 means Spector hates the Oilers?
Maybe it just means he thought the Stars were a better team which is what most media personalitites (and most people) thought.

Have to LOL at the notion that he shouldnt be allowed to cover the Oilers because of his (wrong) prediciton.
This place sometimes. :shakehead:
I feel about Spector like we all do but he did pick the Oilers to win the cup and mcdavid as conn Smythe before playoffs started.

Reactions: AM and McDoused

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
With the discussion going on in one of the other threads about the Oilers not renewing with SN as the regional broadcast network (yet), I wonder if behind the scenes they have been told the Oilers are letting the contract expire to explore the other option. Spector feels slighted they’re jumping ship and it’s all the Oilers fault, so he’s starting to be a prick instead of a dick.
Starting to? Him and Matheson have been up to this for years. Rishaug another. I'm missing other names but Terry Jones was as well. One big circle jerk that dislikes some of the personalities on the present day Oilers.

I feel about Spector like we all do but he did pick the Oilers to win the cup and mcdavid as conn Smythe before playoffs started.
Did he? Why the reversal then?

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Starting to? Him and Matheson have been up to this for years. Rishaug another. I'm missing other names but Terry Jones was as well. One big circle jerk that dislikes some of the personalities on the present day Oilers.

Did he? Why the reversal then?

Probably assuming team was banged up, skinner exposed etc after van series.

I called Dallas to win the cup and after they really came back to steam roll Colorado they looked even better.

Clearly Edmonton has outplayed them so I'm updating my pick as well 😉

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad