Confirmed with Link: Nichushkin back in assistance program; suspended a minimum of six months

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Sure. You know better than Trenin, an actual NHL player.

The Avs locker room is fine
I’m not saying the locker room is fine. But the reason there’s issues aren’t cliques… There’s basically no chance you’re getting ~25 guys on a team and every single one of them will be friends.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I’m not saying the locker room is fine. But the reason there’s issues aren’t cliques… There’s basically no chance you’re getting ~25 guys on a team and every single one of them will be friends.
No one said it should be like that. Trenin said that it was cliquey compared to Nashville. Combined with all the other locker room stuff this year it doesn't look good. That's it.

There's no need to try to downplay the Avs locker room issues, that doesn't mean they can't win. I bet that most teams that go for 2 years without a captain will have the same locker room issues. I know that the same stuff happened to Ottawa and Montreal when they had no captain (and probably many other teams that I'm not aware of).

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Some overreactions in here when the majority of the roster is still from the cup winning team. Is it that much of a surprise a trade deadline acquisition Russian isn't immediately best friends with his teammates? Most Russians in the NHL like to hang out among themselves anyways.
I’d redo the math on that one.

Last year’s team left me cold. Doesn’t shock me in the least.

Khokhlach86

Jul 8, 2012
Moscow
New episode on air

Some quotes from Nichushkin:

1) About his sleep problems:
"After winning the Stanley Cup, I couldn't rest properly because I had to heal the injury all summer, it was hard mentally. Then the new season immediately started, then another injury, then that situation in Seattle, after which a lot of things were said and written about me. You don't live in a tank and still react to it somehow, it really put a lot of pressure on me psychologically.
In the summer of 2023, I began to understand that I needed to work with a psychologist, deal with my health, with sleep. I ignored it for a long time because it seemed to me that everyone was like that. I always slept poorly, but when I started playing more, it got even worse.
I asked other hockey players and many of them told me that they also have a problem falling asleep after a game, but they still fall asleep at about 1 or 2 am, but I don't.
I never fall asleep before 4 am after a game, I sleep a maximum of 3 hours after games, my body just doesn't have time recover. On days when there is no match I sleep a maximum of 7-8 hours. All this is layered, on average at best it turns out to be 6 hours and this in my opinion is too little for a professional athlete, especially one who plays for 22 minutes"
2) About his gym addiction:
"This season (2023-2024), I decided to reduce my work in the gym because I think one of the reasons for my poor sleep was fatigue. Even when I realized that I was tired and needed to rest, I still forced myself to go to the gym and work some more. I had this thought in my head that I went to the gym, played well, but I didn’t go there once and immediately played poorly. It happened to me that I played poorly in the first period and immediately began to think that it was because I didn’t go to the gym yesterday or didn’t finish something in gym.
After Dallas bought out my contract, I realized that I needed to improve a lot to stay in the NHL, so I completely immersed myself in physical work. Of course, this helped a lot, but at the same time it affected my health, including mental health."
3) About being placed in the player assistance program:
"When you sleep 3-4 hours a night, it affects you a lot, you often wake up irritated, freak out for no reason, and it only gets worse over time. I still have a small child, and now she doesn’t understand anything, but in the future I’ll spend more time with her and I don’t want to be in a constant state of hysteria.
Yes, I had a great season, I was on high, but I was already on such a mental edge that I couldn’t take it anymore. I came up to them (coach or general manager i think) and said, guys, I just need some kind of break, I can’t do this.
I bought a new house, I had a child, I scored a lot of goals, but I couldn’t enjoy any of it, because of poor sleep I always woke up unhappy, irritated, I didn’t like anything, I couldn’t enjoy anything. This is one of the reasons why I have hardly given interviews for many years, because it is easier to withdraw into yourself, close yourself off, not communicate with anyone, than to try to get something out of yourself and pretend that everything is fine. I started working with psychologists back in Moscow and still work with them twice a week."

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
No one said it should be like that. Trenin said that it was cliquey compared to Nashville. Combined with all the other locker room stuff this year it doesn't look good. That's it.

There's no need to try to downplay the Avs locker room issues, that doesn't mean they can't win. I bet that most teams that go for 2 years without a captain will have the same locker room issues. I know that the same stuff happened to Ottawa and Montreal when they had no captain (and probably many other teams that I'm not aware of).
Not that I know what's going on but Nashville had recently been gutted by Trotz trying to break up their country club. Not sure they're the best comparison either way.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
New episode on air

"After winning the Stanley Cup, I couldn't rest properly because I had to heal the injury all summer, it was hard mentally. Then the new season immediately started, then another injury, then that situation in Seattle, after which a lot of things were said and written about me. You don't live in a tank and still react to it somehow, it really put a lot of pressure on me psychologically.
In the summer of 2023, I began to understand that I needed to work with a psychologist, deal with my health, with sleep. I ignored it for a long time because it seemed to me that everyone was like that. I always slept poorly, but when I started playing more, it got even worse.
I asked other hockey players and many of them told me that they also have a problem falling asleep after a game, but they still fall asleep at about 1 or 2 am, but I don't.
I never fall asleep before 4 am after a game, I sleep a maximum of 3 hours after games, my body just doesn't have time recover. On days when there is no match I sleep a maximum of 7-8 hours. All this is layered, on average at best it turns out to be 6 hours and this in my opinion is too little for a professional athlete, especially one who plays for 22 minutes"
"This season (2023-2024), I decided to reduce my work in the gym because I think one of the reasons for my poor sleep was fatigue. Even when I realized that I was tired and needed to rest, I still forced myself to go to the gym and work some more. I had this thought in my head that I went to the gym, played well, but I didn’t go there once and immediately played poorly. It happened to me that I played poorly in the first period and immediately began to think that it was because I didn’t go to the gym yesterday or didn’t finish something in gym.
After Dallas bought out my contract, I realized that I needed to improve a lot to stay in the NHL, so I completely immersed myself in physical work. Of course, this helped a lot, but at the same time it affected my health, including mental health."
"When you sleep 3-4 hours a night, it affects you a lot, you often wake up irritated, freak out for no reason, and it only gets worse over time. I still have a small child, and now she doesn’t understand anything, but in the future I’ll spend more time with her and I don’t want to be in a constant state of hysteria.
Yes, I had a great season, I was on high, but I was already on such a mental edge that I couldn’t take it anymore. I came up to them (coach or general manager i think) and said, guys, I just need some kind of break, I can’t do this.
I bought a new house, I had a child, I scored a lot of goals, but I couldn’t enjoy any of it, because of poor sleep I always woke up unhappy, irritated, I didn’t like anything, I couldn’t enjoy anything. This is one of the reasons why I have hardly given interviews for many years, because it is easier to withdraw into yourself, close yourself off, not communicate with anyone, than to try to get something out of yourself and pretend that everything is fine. I started working with psychologists back in Moscow and still work with them twice a week."

Even if this is all true, there's obviously a more career-affecting thing not being mentioned here, and that's his prerogative, but it does make him sound like a liar by omission at the least. And "you don't live in a tank" -- uhh I have seem some pictures of you that tell me you'd totally live in a tank.

Snow Arc

Genetically engineered to want to be eaten
Aug 14, 2020
There are guys, both sides, that eat rations and sleep in trenches every day, in mud, for YEARS, sleep through artillery, no family, no millions. Get some help, and you better always be grateful

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
New episode on air

“I was on high….”

That’s the one quote out of all this I actually believe.

Appreciate you taking the time to post and translate for us @Khokhlach86.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I hate the fact that the Avs haven't already said they are buying him out the moment he comes back. After all the talk about character, this is put up or shut up time for the organization. Do they actually believe in character or is it all bullshit? Because while I'm certain Nuke will wear an Avalanche jersey again because of money, if they allow him to do so AND continue to spew this bullshit, Joe really needs to be fired the first time Nuke opens his mouth after rejoining the team.

Last edited:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
New episode on air

Wouldn't surprise me if he started abusing the powder to counter the effects of insomnia. Instant energy/alertness... but a vicious counter-productive cycle to get into.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad