Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
One thing for sure is there are going to be a lot of options and hopefully we see some different looks through camp(s) and preseason.

I think it is better for Miro to play in Hershey. I think it is better for Lapierre to play in Washington. I think it is highly likely Oshie starts the year on LTIR.

Caps got PLD to be 1C so he is going to get a strong look there. If OV and PLD find good chemistry that is going to be fun. And sure Wilson on the right.

Lapierre and McMichael both need to play in NHL. One will have to play wing (unless injuries). I’m not trading anyone until we see how things shake out. Maybe TDL or more likely at draft. But yes, this is competition and I’m here for it. Will make them both better.
With all the new faces there will be plenty of line experimentation, probably for several months if not all season.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think too many options can be a problem if it's too many over-the-hill vets where a fair competition is never really held.

But the options now seem to be mostly younger dudes or untrusted vets who have a lot to prove (e.g. PLD and Vrana) so ideally that means a good healthy competition will be had, with the deserving winners getting spots rather than inferior veterans getting favorable treatment.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I think too many options can be a problem if it's too many over-the-hill vets where a fair competition is never really held.

But the options now seem to be mostly younger dudes or untrusted vets who have a lot to prove (e.g. PLD and Vrana) so ideally that means a good healthy competition will be had, with the deserving winners getting spots rather than inferior veterans getting favorable treatment.

I don't think Spencer operates like Lavi did, favoring vets at all cost under any circumstances. SC played the kids a lot, maybe by necessity but still, I think the kids this year will all get a fair shot to earn their playing time.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
He's barely behind Ovi for the team lead in points his two years in DC while putting up great play-driving numbers -- and as I will shout from the rooftops forever, one of the only guys in the last 5 years to make Ovi even break-even at 5v5. Lapierre had a great year and I think he can be an NHL caliber middle 6er for a long time. Almost .5ppg in the NHL as a 21yo is great. Strome in his age 21 season put up .75

They are not moving Strome while they are still in the "retool" phase and would be stupid to do so unless an all-NHL level talent is coming back. Now that Pettersson is signed long term I don't see anyone at that level even remotely available.
Why I said "if the young guys are ready." I think Strome is terrific. But they now have potentially 4 top 3 Cs. PLD isn't getting moved because of his NMC. If he reaches his potential Lappy is the future 2C at least, and CMM is a cheap 3C with the skills to be very good at that position. So Strome is the odd man out and he has trade value. It's just math. That said, if they move CMM, I won't be aggrieved.

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
I am actually fully in the more competition the better camp. My defense of CMM really is a plea not to move him (or any of the other young prospects) until we really know what we have with each, and how they gel with all the changes. Patience.

So maybe in a year or to we see CMM 'leapfrog' Lappy for 2C. Or maybe CMM falls back is actually odd man out. Or maybe Strome is moved to the wing and thrives. Or maybe Lappy becomes a clear 1C and we move Stome and the 2027 1st for a stud D. Etc.

Many of these guys are still early to mid way on their development arc. Let's give them all a chance to show who can surprise and go above their 'conventional wisdom' ceilings and who can be new duo.

I also think the tradidionally great Caps room and Carbs ability and real desire to connect will mean each of our youth will have a great environment to become the best they can.

I think it's gonna be fun to watch!!

Reactions: Rayquaza64

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Good hockey discussion with knowledgeable people. And finally looking at not just what we have now, or opening day, but rather looking at the long haul. I think a lot of this is trust in Carbery, Mack, and Patrick.

Here is a crazy thought/scenario. OV really thrived last year with McMichael as his center. So what about:

1725418080893.png

McMike and OV connection. Protas who has eyes and can battle in the corner and find OV on a sneaky pinch. then you have a big physical second line with PLD on Wing, Strome at Center and Wilson at wing. That is a lot of beef and chaos that can score (assuming chemistry). third line is sneaky skill and fourth line is solid checking line with Frank in the wings waiting.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

1725450797116.png

I think this is pretty close to what we'll see to start out, at least up the middle and probably on the top line. The wings on 2nd-4th lines could shuffle significantly, mostly 2/3 LW flipping and possibly Protas jumping up to RW2 while pushing the others down.

Reactions: kicksavedave

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
Good hockey discussion with knowledgeable people. And finally looking at not just what we have now, or opening day, but rather looking at the long haul. I think a lot of this is trust in Carbery, Mack, and Patrick.

Here is a crazy thought/scenario. OV really thrived last year with McMichael as his center. So what about:

View attachment 904906

McMike and OV connection. Protas who has eyes and can battle in the corner and find OV on a sneaky pinch. then you have a big physical second line with PLD on Wing, Strome at Center and Wilson at wing. That is a lot of beef and chaos that can score (assuming chemistry). third line is sneaky skill and fourth line is solid checking line with Frank in the wings waiting.
I'd really only like to see this if Ovi is completely cooked ... not a huge fan either of trading for PLD just to put him at wing. You'd basically be trying to recreate the Mantha-McMichael-Protas line from last year but with Ovi in the Mantha spot which I think could work -- as a third line

Reactions: Ridley Simon and um

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

View attachment 904906

I hated McMichael with OV last year. And in the playoffs it was beyond awful.

Maybe things change and McMichael develops, but right now McMichael is pretty far down my list for Ovie centers.

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
I think he's not and it's just Daily Faceoff being a national publication. If there's one thing I'm sure of about the lines, it's that Duhaime and Raddysh were brought in as direct Malenstyn and NAK replacements and that the fourth line will be Duhaime-Dowd-Raddysh

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I feel like Protas is making too much money to be penciled in on the 4th line.

There are options:

1. Win a top-6 spot.

2. Play in the 3rd line in a more offensive role.

3. Play in the 4th line in a really defensive role.

Option 1 would obviously be the best but it needs to be earned first. As for the options 2 and 3... depends on what role they are penciling him into. I wouldn’t get lost in the line numbers. Caps 4th line has not been an actual 4th line in terms of ice-time in years. 3rd line is the line that gets sheltered and plays the least.

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
The forward lineup this year boils down to two questions:

Which top 9 center shifts to wing (Strome/PLD/Lapierre/CMcM)?
Does Vrana make the roster?

It's not possible to project the lineup without those data points. I suppose a third question would be whether Oshie will play, but I am operating under the assumption that he will not.

Ovechkin - C - Wilson
C who shifts to wing - C - Mangipane
Milano - C - Protas
Duhaime - Dowd - Raddysh
13th F

And then if Vrana earns a contract, you slide a top 9 forward down (probably Milano or Protas) and then slide Duhaime or Raddysh to 13F.

Regarding the first question, I believe that the Caps will go PLD, Strome, and Lapierre as centers to start the year and that McMichael will start as the winger, which seems to be a popular opinion.

Reactions: BallardEra and qc14

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
For Vrana to make a spot he will need to play both ways. The roster isn’t deep enough to have a one way sniper dude out there like in 2018 IMO. I like the offer to give him a shot, but I don’t see it happening

Reactions: WanderingCapsFan

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

It's not possible to project the lineup without those data points. I suppose a third question would be whether Oshie will play, but I am operating under the assumption that he will not.

Ovechkin - C - Wilson
Milano - C - Protas
Duhaime - Dowd - Raddysh
13th F

And then if Vrana earns a contract, you slide a top 9 forward down (probably Milano or Protas) and then slide Duhaime or Raddysh to 13F.

Regarding the first question, I believe that the Caps will go PLD, Strome, and Lapierre as centers to start the year and that McMichael will start as the winger, which seems to be a popular opinion.
I think there are a lot more important questions than any about Vrana….can CMM and Lappy take that next step, does Mango fit in, Oshie, does Ovechkin have much left, can Strome keep getting better, do Milano and Protas have another level, does Wilson have a bounce back year in him, the new guys, etc….

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

Ovechkin - C - Wilson
Milano - C - Protas
Duhaime - Dowd - Raddysh
13th F

And….whither, Oshie? That’s absolutely Q #3, and the crux of it all, with the other 2 Q’s.

Of course ….. just IMO 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I feel like McMike at wing has proven already to be not good. He's much stronger at C. Putting him at 2 RW is not a recipe for success and growth. I'd put him in at 3C and put Lappy on 2W. It's not my preference for Jimi, but I think he'll do better in that spot that CMM and can do spot duty at 2C. Overall, lots of questions and with them, lots of options. Gonna be an exciting camp and preseason. Bring. It. On.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I feel like McMike at wing has proven already to be not good. He's much stronger at C. Putting him at 2 RW is not a recipe for success and growth. I'd put him in at 3C and put Lappy on 2W. It's not my preference for Jimi, but I think he'll do better in that spot that CMM and can do spot duty at 2C. Overall, lots of questions and with them, lots of options. Gonna be an exciting camp and preseason. Bring. It. On.
Yeah CMM hasn’t been good at wing, and I could definitely see Lappy playing wing, giving CMM a year at C so the Caps can decide what to do with him with a year left on his deal….

…but if Lappy (after camp) is clearly a better option at C now, do you ice the inferior roster to accommodate CMM?

Curious too see if CMM has put in the work this offseason that’s for sure…..strength, skating, shot, etc….

Reactions: Calicaps

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Yeah CMM hasn’t been good at wing, and I could definitely see Lappy playing wing, giving CMM a year at C so the Caps can decide what to do with him with a year left on his deal….

…but if Lappy (after camp) is clearly a better option at C now, do you ice the inferior roster to accommodate CMM?

Curious too see if CMM has put in the work this offseason that’s for sure…..strength, skating, shot, etc….
I'd say no, but at the same time, I think ideally you really want Jimi in the top 6 somewhere.

And right on cue... Capitals to Hold Rookie Camp Sept. 13-16, Training Camp Starts Sept. 19 | Washington Capitals

Reactions: um

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Lappy is the better playmaker, so I think you'd naturally want him to play center and move McMichael to the wing.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

View attachment 904956

I think this is pretty close to what we'll see to start out, at least up the middle and probably on the top line. The wings on 2nd-4th lines could shuffle significantly, mostly 2/3 LW flipping and possibly Protas jumping up to RW2 while pushing the others down.
Not a fan of Wilson here. Just don't think he has the passing skill here needed. I'm more curious to see some others in this slot.

I know strome played with AO a number of times but in general offensive chemistry was not a strong point for much of the team for periods of time last year.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Not a fan of Wilson here. Just don't think he has the passing skill here needed. I'm more curious to see some others in this slot.

I know strome played with AO a number of times but in general offensive chemistry was not a strong point for much of the team for periods of time last year.
Agree they should and probably will mix it up, a lot. But TW might get another shot at RW1 out of the gate to see where he is. If he's as mediocre as he was most of last season it won't last and he may even be on the trade block. Big career-defining year for him, imo.

Reactions: PlushMinus

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
During his time in Washington, Vrana was 4th in the league in Even Strength Goals per 60 mins. I'm not suggesting to gift him a roster spot but if he makes the team I'd move Ovechkin down to 2LW to keep him fresh for powerplays and keep Wilson on Line 1 as the right handed shooting option.

Vrana - Dubois - Wilson
Ovechkin - Strome - Mangiapane
McMichael - Lapierre - Protas
Milano - Dowd - Raddysh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad