Confirmed with Link: Nichushkin back in assistance program; suspended a minimum of six months

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
The locker room stuff is not surprising, but I don't think it is nearly as big of deal as people think. I've been around a ton in my life and it is rather rare to have a tight knit group. What matters most of all is that everyone, despite differences, is rowing the boat together. That's what seems lacking more than anything to me. The lack of leaders who can bring it all together. Bednar is too much of a players' coach to be that guy. The leadership vacuum from Landy and EJ (and now Cogs) being away from the team is where that splinters. Hopefully that can get resolved with Landy being around more. Really need somebody else to step up and into the role. Mitts can probably be the guy in time, though he may not be around long enough... Toews and Makar really are the ones who have to step up.
I like this post a lot. It's not about "tight knit," it's about working together.

Of course there are cliques in the Avs locker room. We have a couple of really wholesome dudes whose idea of getting wild is putting an extra spoon of sugar on their cereal. And then there is the coke and hookers crowd. There is also that really psychotic coworker that everyone gives a pass to because he's so damn good at his job, but few people really want to hang out with but might log on to play Rocket League or Fortnite with. Then the really psychotic coworker who's not even that good at his job that people talk about behind his back (and only occasionally threaten to murder on the ice). A few dudes who internally call themselves "the bangers" and try to live up to that name on and off the ice. And then there are temps who know they won't be around for long and just flit from group to group.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Many teams have won with cliquey locker rooms (the Kings in the early teens are a very prime example). What matters is how they come together for the goal. Yeah there are differences between teams and some are closer than others. Nashville clearly was closer than the Avs... but that doesn't prevent the Avs from winning. On the Kings, what united them as much as anything was their hatred of Sutter. :laugh:

Where cliquey locker rooms present issues, is when things go wrong. In those cases, there is more of a tendency to spiral.
Boy to be in that Kings locker room when Sutter was canned.

"So uh.... what the f*** now?"

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Screw winning a cup, we need a real housewives equivalent show of the Avs next season. Let's see how catty these boys can get. Bonus: earnings from the show will pay for everyone's lunch.
This lunch thing is pretty hilarious to me. How do we know they didn't provide lunch before and then in a rage Nate came and threw it all out in the garbage because it didn't have enough protein in it?

Not that long ago I had a choice of two jobs. One provided a daily lunch and a stocked fridge/snack bar. The other provided nothing. I decided on the one that provided nothing, the culture otherwise was a shit ton better. I don't make millions a year, but I think players pick culture 100% of the time over silly little benefits. If it mattered that much to the guys, Nate and Gabe would get their fancy chef out there every day and pay for it on their own dime.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
This lunch thing is pretty hilarious to me. How do we know they didn't provide lunch before and then in a rage Nate came and threw it all out in the garbage because it didn't have enough protein in it?

Not that long ago I had a choice of two jobs. One provided a daily lunch and a stocked fridge/snack bar. The other provided nothing. I decided on the one that provided nothing, the culture otherwise was a shit ton better. I don't make millions a year, but I think players pick culture 100% of the time over silly little benefits. If it mattered that much to the guys, Nate and Gabe would get their fancy chef out there every day and pay for it on their own dime.
But if you had come from the place where perks were provided to the new job where there was no perks, you'd find it a bit strange/cheap, too.

That's from Georgiev's perspective. MacKinnon and Landeskog know no different since they've never left Colorado.

Reactions: LOFIN and The Moops

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It's not shocking at all the Avs ownership gets a bit chintzy here and there. They reportedly have one of the worst practice facilities in the entire league and won't shell out for a new one until these massive real estate thing the Kroenkes are pushing to build on top of Elitch Gardens gets done. Also took them forever to renovate the locker rooms at Bawl Arena.

I wouldn't read that much into the fractious locker room narrative, though it's readily apparent some of y'all are taking it and running with it like a heartbroken Forrest Gump. I'm sure it's not as cohesive without EJ and Landy in there, but I don't think it's an 80s sitcom either. We've all read there was definite tension with Johansen in the room, and who could blame anyone when there's a guy in there who's clearly half-assing it every shift?

Obviously Nuke ain't much of a team guy either, never struck me as one either.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Things like everyone having lunch together on a game day, instead of everyone going home, IS a culture builder.

In fact that's exactly the kind of strategy that the best employers are using to build and keep team chemistry.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Things like everyone having lunch together on a game day, instead of everyone going home, IS a culture builder.

In fact that's exactly the kind of strategy that the best employers are using to build and keep team chemistry.
Chickpea bonding I guess. I think occasional team lunches are fine but I wouldn't want to eat everyday with the same people in a group setting.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Cliques will always exist in a locker room even in the tightest locker room. You are talking about a large group of 23 players. Like others have said what is important is that the cliques don't argue together and they pull together towards the goal and that they all buy in to the coach's system. You can still be in different cliques and get along very well together. The news that there are cliquey is less concerning to me that the news they are not as tight as we thought they were. Again not being tight is not a problem by itself but with considering other news/rumors we heard last season it is something that is starting to be concerning as it can easily start going downhill from there. This team certainly need Landy back.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Cliques will always exist in a locker room even in the tightest locker room. You are talking about a large group of 23 players. Like others have said what is important is that the cliques don't argue together and they pull together towards the goal and that they all buy in to the coach's system. You can still be in different cliques and get along very well together. The news that there are cliquey is less concerning to me that the news they are not as tight as we thought they were. Again not being tight is not a problem by itself but with considering other news/rumors we heard last season it is something that is starting to be concerning as it can easily start going downhill from there. This team certainly need Landy back.
Very true. Its one thing to just be casual friends with each other and do your own thing. Where it becomes a problem is when Corey Perry shows up.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Alright... hear me out. Nuke doesn't like Chipotle. Chipotle is a Denver company. Yeah there are way too many carbs for MacK to be happy... but what if they just had Chipotle cater every lunch? Do it as a sponsorship and Kroenke can even build up massive rewards so he never has to pay for a burrito ever again. Nuke gets fed up and just quits. The plumbing across the league gets a massive test... which when it fails, they'll have to spend a ton of money to fix. Leaving other teams too broke to spend to the cap. Jack Hughes and Charlie McAvoy are sponsored by Chipotle, so they force their way on to the Avs and on their next deals sign league minimum max term deals... just so they can have their signature burritos for free for every meal.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The Hawks won three Cups and their two best forwards were hardly buddy-buddy.

The Kings won two Cups and the coach hated the lazy-ass captain so much he and the GM conveniently leaked a supposed trade call to motivate him. It worked.

Different sport, but the Broncos won back-to-back Super Bowls and it's no secret that Bill Romanowski and Terrell Davis couldn't stand one another.

Locker room cohesion is important but some of y'all think all these teams that win championships are operating under some kind of hive intelligence. With than many egos in the room, there's always going to be some sort of conflict or "cliqueyness."

Chipotle is a Denver company.
Not anymore it's not.

But yeah they should put that shit in the vents where they know Nuke will be so he has to smell it.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
It's Bednar's fault for not naming a temporary captain and also the Avs lacked players stepping into [publically] visible leadership roles.

this is going to be one of the longest offseasons.
next will be longer when they miss the playoffs

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
I think he'd much rather his doom-and-gloom outlook of the team be right than watch another successful playoff run.
No I want another Cup I just don't think the team cares that much . They are more concerned with making money and staying relevant awhile longer

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Alright... hear me out. Nuke doesn't like Chipotle. Chipotle is a Denver company. Yeah there are way too many carbs for MacK to be happy... but what if they just had Chipotle cater every lunch? Do it as a sponsorship and Kroenke can even build up massive rewards so he never has to pay for a burrito ever again. Nuke gets fed up and just quits. The plumbing across the league gets a massive test... which when it fails, they'll have to spend a ton of money to fix. Leaving other teams too broke to spend to the cap. Jack Hughes and Charlie McAvoy are sponsored by Chipotle, so they force their way on to the Avs and on their next deals sign league minimum max term deals... just so they can have their signature burritos for free for every meal.
You had me at Chipotle

Reactions: BurnabyJoe19

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
No I want another Cup I just don't think the team cares that much . They are more concerned with making money and staying relevant awhile longer
jim-halpert-face.gif

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Well Trenin said that there are cliques in the Avs locker room unlike what he saw in Nashville. Combined with all the other locker room stuff from the last season chances are high that there's a real issue there.
I mean I really don’t think cliques in the locker room are a big deal at all. Are you friends with everyone you work with?

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Are people here friends with everyone they work with?

There’s some people at work that I barely know their name. It’s just a head nod, or a point in the hallway:

1721268602709.gif

You don’t need to be best friends to do your job.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad