Confirmed with Link: Nichushkin back in assistance program; suspended a minimum of six months

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
First, you post on craigslist. Second, you get inundated with spammers. Third, a legitimate buyer comes forward, but you don't meet in a safe, public place. Forth, you are robbed under gunpoint and your identity is stolen.
Damn, I've been doing it wrong all these years. I just go to a real estate agent/broker or a used car lot first (we've got one that basically gives Kelly's Blue Book value if you can drive it onto the lot, take it or leave it... so you know the price you're getting before you even drive over.)

You way sounds much better for my cardiovascular system and will also give me more experience in dealing with stressful situations. Win/Win.

kiwi51

Sep 20, 2023
So where do the Avalanche stand on all of this?
When is he expected to return?
Has the team talked to him have they said this is his last and only chance?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
So where do the Avalanche stand on all of this?
When is he expected to return?
Has the team talked to him have they said this is his last and only chance?
The Avalanche might have some of those answers, but they will never, ever say what they are until they actually make whatever move it is that they do. Until then, the only thing they can really say is that they "stand behind Nuke and hope his recover goes well. Everything else is secondary and we are not concentrating on anything other than Val's health at this time."

It sucks as a fan, but I at least sort of understand in this situation. However, I do not give the Avs any pass whatsoever for consistently acting like the US Government when it comes to FOIA requests.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Snow Arc

Genetically engineered to want to be eaten
Aug 14, 2020
2d3.jpeg
She went from a 10 to an Area 51

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
The Avalanche might have some of those answers, but they will never, ever say what they are until they actually make whatever move it is that they do. Until then, the only thing they can really say is that they "stand behind Nuke and hope his recover goes well. Everything else is secondary and we are not concentrating on anything other than Val's health at this time."

It sucks as a fan, but I at least sort of understand in this situation. However, I do not give the Avs any pass whatsoever for consistently acting like the US Government when it comes to FOIA requests.
What could they say when none of the answers are within their control? He can't return until he's reinstated. Everyone knows the earliest date. Will he be reinstated that day? They don't control that. Have they told him this is his last chance? They don't make up the rules as everyone has pointed out with much disgust. They really can't tell him that if they have zero control over the program, the recovery, and the future steps.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
What could they say when none of the answers are within their control? He can't return until he's reinstated. Everyone knows the earliest date. Will he be reinstated that day? They don't control that. Have they told him this is his last chance? They don't make up the rules as everyone has pointed out with much disgust. They really can't tell him that if they have zero control over the program, the recovery, and the future steps.
They very damn well have mapped out several different scenarios. If they haven't, they should all be fired immediately. But in my defense, I also did state that while "the Avalanche might have some of those answers, they will never, ever say what they are until they actually make whatever move it is that they do. Until then, the only thing they can really say is that they stand behind Nuke and hope his recovery goes well..."

Reactions: CobraAcesS

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
I think I said this before but if Nuke sees no problem with the partying lifestyle maybe the KHL is an attractive option. Out from under the PAP, goes back home, probably makes just as much money, and can rail away with impunity.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
It rubs me the wrong way that Nichushkin has never issued a public apology of any kind. I don't know that the fans are owed anything, but two years in a row now a selfish decision has put the team in a really bad spot. Would it be too much to ask to address the concerns, and relay to the fans that he's working on getting back? I didn't sense much accountability in the interview he had either...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think I said this before but if Nuke sees no problem with the partying lifestyle maybe the KHL is an attractive option. Out from under the PAP, goes back home, probably makes just as much money, and can rail away with impunity.
He's going to get about ~34m over the next 6 seasons if he can keep his nose clean. Including ~7m this year and 7.3m next year. Now his take home would be less than that. A good accountant gets that to maybe 20-24 over the term, and nearing 10m over the first two seasons. KHL salaries for certain players can be higher, but we don't really have anybody in that realm today (in the past we've seen 4-6m). Ship has been around $2m, but is closer to 1.25. IIRC the top paid player last season was Shalunov at 1.5m. They are not quite tax free, but the taxes are far lower... we're looking at ~13% vs 35-40% (excluding escrow since indications are that will be a low percentage and refunded the next few seasons).

Now Nuke could easily be the highest paid player. What that price would be is really up in the air. The Kuzy news, if it happens, could give us a realm. If it is say $4m, then once we get past the next two seasons... that gets competitive especially as we get to the 4.8m final 3 seasons of the deal.

Where I think this factor comes in is if Nuke violates again and gets suspended for a full year without pay. For ease, just say that happens at the end of this season after he's been paid out. He'd miss out on the 7.3m for 25-26. Meaning his deal would only be guaranteed if he could return for a total of ~20m through 2030. Assuming a 35% tax rate, he'd simply need to make ~$15m in Russia over that term to break even. If he could command ~3m a year, that would cover him and there'd be little risk of him losing his contract. This would be higher than what we have seen recently in Russia, but not outside the realm of possibility.

TLDR the next two seasons are way too high of salary for it to be considered. Following that it gets a lot closer. A year suspension without pay on his next violation could tip the scales.

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
He's going to get about ~34m over the next 6 seasons if he can keep his nose clean. Including ~7m this year and 7.3m next year. Now his take home would be less than that. A good accountant gets that to maybe 20-24 over the term, and nearing 10m over the first two seasons. KHL salaries for certain players can be higher, but we don't really have anybody in that realm today (in the past we've seen 4-6m). Ship has been around $2m, but is closer to 1.25. IIRC the top paid player last season was Shalunov at 1.5m. They are not quite tax free, but the taxes are far lower... we're looking at ~13% vs 35-40% (excluding escrow since indications are that will be a low percentage and refunded the next few seasons).

Now Nuke could easily be the highest paid player. What that price would be is really up in the air. The Kuzy news, if it happens, could give us a realm. If it is say $4m, then once we get past the next two seasons... that gets competitive especially as we get to the 4.8m final 3 seasons of the deal.

Where I think this factor comes in is if Nuke violates again and gets suspended for a full year without pay. For ease, just say that happens at the end of this season after he's been paid out. He'd miss out on the 7.3m for 25-26. Meaning his deal would only be guaranteed if he could return for a total of ~20m through 2030. Assuming a 35% tax rate, he'd simply need to make ~$15m in Russia over that term to break even. If he could command ~3m a year, that would cover him and there'd be little risk of him losing his contract. This would be higher than what we have seen recently in Russia, but not outside the realm of possibility.

TLDR the next two seasons are way too high of salary for it to be considered. Following that it gets a lot closer. A year suspension without pay on his next violation could tip the scales.

The big question in all of this is whether he wants to keep his nose clean. If not, being a superstar in Russia has to be appealing. I am framing this around Nukes 9 goals in 8 playoff games. What could he do in the KHL with that skill even if it was powder driven? I admit I know absolutely f*ck all about KHL contracts though so maybe I am well off base.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The big question in all of this is whether he wants to keep his nose clean. If not, being a superstar in Russia has to be appealing. I am framing this around Nukes 9 goals in 8 playoff games. What could he do in the KHL with that skill even if it was powder driven? I admit I know absolutely f*ck all about KHL contracts though so maybe I am well off base.
Nuke would step in and be one of the top players for sure and be a superstar there. Just that today, it is leaving a lot of money on the table. Even if he just can make it through this season, that adds a ton to his career pay comparatively. He just has to keep from getting pinched. A year suspension could easily change the math... just until that happens, he's better off financially to stay as long as he can in the NHL.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Nuke would step in and be one of the top players for sure and be a superstar there. Just that today, it is leaving a lot of money on the table. Even if he just can make it through this season, that adds a ton to his career pay comparatively. He just has to keep from getting pinched. A year suspension could easily change the math... just until that happens, he's better off financially to stay as long as he can in the NHL.
I mean it's obvious that money wise the NHL is the lucrative option, always was for players of his caliber. What people are I guess hoping for, is that for him and his family Russia would be the more comfortable option. He's still going to make big coin, and living in Moscow or St. Petersburg, I'm pretty sure it's all fun and games for the elite even at this stage of world events

When KHL was at its peak, it wasn't ever competing with the NHL. It was just the dominating league for top European talent, and maybe drawing some of the 3rd/4th line options from the NHL. Those days are long gone.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I mean it's obvious that money wise the NHL is the lucrative option, always was for players of his caliber. What people are I guess hoping for, is that for him and his family Russia would be the more comfortable option. He's still going to make big coin, and living in Moscow or St. Petersburg, I'm pretty sure it's all fun and games for the elite even at this stage of world events

When KHL was at its peak, it wasn't ever competing with the NHL. It was just the dominating league for top European talent, and maybe drawing some of the 3rd/4th line options from the NHL. Those days are long gone.
It is just hope though. It would be an absurdly bad financial decision right now. The extra ~10m can buy a lot of luxury and comfort. I think the argument to just head to Russia has a lot of validity on the next go round... but right now we are a step away from that. If he can just make it two seasons, he can buy A LOT more coke and hookers throughout his lifetime. The math changes dramatically if he has a year without pay, to where comfort, knowing he won't get popped, and living back home would have a lot of appeal... plus the money difference gets a lot lower.

I could easily see a situation that upon his next suspension, he just signs with a KHL club for 5-6 years and his deal is terminated.

Reactions: UnkleKraker

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It rubs me the wrong way that Nichushkin has never issued a public apology of any kind. I don't know that the fans are owed anything, but two years in a row now a selfish decision has put the team in a really bad spot. Would it be too much to ask to address the concerns, and relay to the fans that he's working on getting back? I didn't sense much accountability in the interview he had either...
No need for a public apology IMO. An apology to every single teammate in private? Yeah, that should be happening but we'll likely never know about that.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021

This extensive analysis is all well and good, but you forgot to factor in the various endorsements that Nuke has with various Corrado ski resorts advertising for "the best powder"

Reactions: UnkleKraker

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
No doubt in my mind Wood and Colton are part of that clique.
There are probably several cliques. Drouin and Mack would be another one.

It shouldn't be a surprise though with all the stuff we heard throughout the season. Teammates publicly calling out each others, etc.

This team has been without a captain for 2 years, that's the kind of shit that happens when there's no one to bring everyone together.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
The locker room is in shambles without Landy and EJ bringing everyone together. Kadri is sorely missed, too.

Also LOL @ our cheap-ass Scrooge McDuck organization not even providing lunch for the team. Nobody is really surprised though, to be honest. That sort of thing absolutely affects Free Agent signings

As for cliques, of course there was MacK + Drouin, the Russians, the Fins, JJ + Parise, Wood + Colton and probably a couple more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad