Confirmed with Link: Nichushkin back in assistance program; suspended a minimum of six months

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Are people here friends with everyone they work with?

There’s some people at work that I barely know their name. It’s just a head nod, or a point in the hallway:

View attachment 895602

You don’t need to be best friends to do your job.
There's a slight difference between working in a cubical farm and competing for a championship on a professional sports team that is paying millions of dollars. There is an expectation of getting along and not being a dick in general. But a very common theme amongst championship team is that they all talk about how close the locker room is. Did any player for the Avs mention how cohesive and brotherly they were either of the last two seasons? Because they sure did a lot back in '22. I can't see how anyone would defend the leadership group that Bednar's running with.

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
Things like everyone having lunch together on a game day, instead of everyone going home, IS a culture builder.

In fact that's exactly the kind of strategy that the best employers are using to build and keep team chemistry.

Its a f***ing lunch. Those guys are hanging out together shit ton of time so not having a lunch together is a non issue. I’m not sure about younger players having game day traditions anymore but older olayers used to have them and they were quite strict on some occasions. This no lunch policy might come from those days.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

There’s some people at work that I barely know their name. It’s just a head nod, or a point in the hallway:

View attachment 895602

Why do you point at people? And why is the hallway the designated place for it? It’s very strange.

• Haha
Reactions: NorthernAvsFan

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Why do you point at people? And why is the hallway the designated place for it? It’s very strange.
enhanced-buzz-wide-7191-1414785960-28.jpg

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

View attachment 895602

I work at home. My wife works at home. Therefore, I am not best friends with my coworker.

Vk1ing

Feb 12, 2016
There's a slight difference between working in a cubical farm and competing for a championship on a professional sports team that is paying millions of dollars. There is an expectation of getting along and not being a dick in general. But a very common theme amongst championship team is that they all talk about how close the locker room is. Did any player for the Avs mention how cohesive and brotherly they were either of the last two seasons? Because they sure did a lot back in '22. I can't see how anyone would defend the leadership group that Bednar's running with.
I agree with the first half but how is this on Bednar? The group is not as close it was the last few years. We lost alot of the glue guys over the last few years, some got injured too. None of that has anything to do with bednar. In landys absence the big guns haven't been able to replicate his leadership and losing so many glue guys results in the group being more fragmented. None of that is on the coach

Reactions: Sudden Nordique

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Do you really think they'd highlight any sort of conflict or discord within the locker room or would they rather push the narrative that they're brothers-in-arms?

All those legendary championship-winning clubs in all those sports had a lot more going on behind the scenes than you think, those stories just aren't told very often. We'd rather buy into the myth that they're roasting marshmallows by a campfire after every game.

And locker room unity can be a bad thing sometimes. You NEED a little conflict in the room now and again. It may not be the best example, but Dan O'Dowd had some pretty talented Rockies teams that went nowhere, and at one point he actually said the clubhouse was way too unified, no one was willing to challenge or push anyone else.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I agree with the first half but how is this on Bednar? The group is not as close it was the last few years. We lost alot of the glue guys over the last few years, some got injured too. None of that has anything to do with bednar. In landys absence the big guns haven't been able to replicate his leadership and losing so many glue guys results in the group being more fragmented. None of that is on the coach
He had his captain go down and instead of getting giving a real leader a letter, he doubled down on his philosophy that letters are awards to be handed out to his biggest star, when the concept of what they are supposed to be doing is completely different. The Captain is a cheerleader, a taskmaster, plans outings for the ENTIRE team, not just those that also have a letter. So yeah, instead of giving the third A to a player capable of providing some of that. he doubled down and gave one to Mikko. Mikko can't even be half-assed into playing a complete game much less motivate others. Naw, he just threatens to kill our goalie. That's prime leadership right there. :laugh:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Do you really think they'd highlight any sort of conflict or discord within the locker room or would they rather push the narrative that they're brothers-in-arms?

All those legendary championship-winning clubs in all those sports had a lot more going on behind the scenes than you think, those stories just aren't told very often. We'd rather buy into the myth that they're roasting marshmallows by a campfire after every game.

And locker room unity can be a bad thing sometimes. You NEED a little conflict in the room now and again. It may not be the best example, but Dan O'Dowd had some pretty talented Rockies teams that went nowhere, and at one point he actually said the clubhouse was way too unified, no one was willing to challenge or push anyone else.
Hmm... that's odd because in '22 it looked like everyone was getting along. In 24 our Alternate Captains were threatening to kill their own goalie during the middle of a game. I don't think is healthy conflict, do you? Instead of having team meals, it's been reported that the leadership group would go off by themself leaving everyone else to just sort of wing it.

I absolutely love MacKinnon and Makar and really like Mikko, even though I have serious reservations about re-upping him. This has absolutely nothing to do with them as players, the problem I have is that they offer absolutely nothing to the team by wearing an A. It was given to them to stoke their egos. They didn't take it seriously. I really don't understand how anyone can defend them in these roles?

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
there is a difference between cliques and factions.
I'm not going to waste energy until I hear that there is some significant rift in that room.
And was the Trenin interview in Russian or English? If Russian, the translation may lose the subtle differences and if in English he might have not used the perfect word in another language. Anyway, I played a lot of high school sports and that is when a lot of humans are at their worst, and of course you played with people you hated or who you had no connection with but come game time we fought for each other. And in some cases, if you are better than a kid older than you, they kind of have to respect at least that part of you. I am sure the room is fine but I firmly believe Landy needs to be back with the old timers all gone. I am sure that even if he's not playing he'll be around constantly.

Mikko getting the A over Cogliano was such a joke
That might have had more to do with them trying to get Mikko to take that sort of thing on than anything to do with Cogs. And to be honest, Cogs might have deferred - would not surprise me at all. He and everyone in the org knew he was going to be a leader either way.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Hmm... that's odd because in '22 it looked like everyone was getting along. In 24 our Alternate Captains were threatening to kill their own goalie during the middle of a game. I don't think is healthy conflict, do you? Instead of having team meals, it's been reported that the leadership group would go off by themself leaving everyone else to just sort of wing it.

I absolutely love MacKinnon and Makar and really like Mikko, even though I have serious reservations about re-upping him. This has absolutely nothing to do with them as players, the problem I have is that they offer absolutely nothing to the team by wearing an A. It was given to them to stoke their egos. They didn't take it seriously. I really don't understand how anyone can defend them in these roles?
:dunno: As long as hockey has existed in the world, there have been asshole goalies and players who wanted to kill them. The best goalie I ever played with in youth hockey was a goddamned nutjob. Didn't stop us from winning State.

And let's be clear, you and I don't really know what those guys who wear the A patches do or don't do behind the scenes. We've heard some random reports and rumors, that's it. I've also read reports that MacKinnon is a great leader. Matt Calvert had by far his best year as a hockey player in Colorado because he actually listened to Mr. Chickpea Pasta and got into the best shape of his life. We've also all read reports that MacKinnon screamed at Andre Burakovsky because he kept missing the net in practice. Well, at least for the next game, that worked. So all due respect, you don't have to be absolutist about how me or anyone else can defend those guys, because it's not like you have the whole story either.

The Avs failed this year because the team wasn't nearly deep enough, their goaltending was inferior, and their leading playoff scorer DGAF and snorted himself back into the PAP. I really don't think any added "unity" would've gotten them past the Stars.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Some overreactions in here when the majority of the roster is still from the cup winning team. Is it that much of a surprise a trade deadline acquisition Russian isn't immediately best friends with his teammates? Most Russians in the NHL like to hang out among themselves anyways.

Reactions: NorthernAvsFan

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Some overreactions in here when the majority of the roster is still from the cup winning team. Is it that much of a surprise a trade deadline acquisition Russian isn't immediately best friends with his teammates? Most Russians in the NHL like to hang out among themselves anyways.
That's not what he said. It has nothing to do with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad