MacKinnon at 12.5M or Draisaitl at 14M?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who would you rather have?

• MacKinnon

Votes: 241 87.3%
  • Draisaitl

Votes: 30 10.9%
  • Can't decide

Votes: 5 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Such a bad poll. That's going back to when Marner signed his contract and asking if you rather have Crosby has a lower hit.. Mackinnon gets over 12.6, even on a discount, after breaking 100 points 2 seasons in a row with an increasing cap. The poll should simply be who would you rather have. Including cap makes this a terrible poll, because one contract was signed 2 years ago before the player ever broke 100 points.

Reactions: zar

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I do. Mack isn’t as good as the German Gretzky, regardless that this thread is going to get locked up real quick.

Both Drai/MacK are pretty close. I'm not sure who I consider better tbh, but I can see an argument for either/or.

But this poll is all to MacKinnon's advantage:

1. $1.5M AAV less. I'm the first to say for the absolute best players - pay them whatever to keep them. But when players are so close that I can't pick whose better, the less expensive one is definitely an advantage

2. Age. MacK's contract ends when he's 35. Draisaitl ends when he's 37. The last 2 years of the contract are 100% more risky for Drai. Players of this caliber usually decline by mid to late 30s, if not before

Your argument that McDavid prefers Draisaitl as a teammate also doesn't really register. By all accounts - McDavid wants to win. Are the Oilers in a better position to win with Drai vs MacK if you swap them? Regardless of how you answer - it's super close. I don't think one makes McDavid more or less likely to stay.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Both Drai/MacK are pretty close. I'm not sure who I consider better tbh, but I can see an argument for either/or.

But this poll is all to MacKinnon's advantage:

1. $1.5M AAV less. I'm the first to say for the absolute best players - pay them whatever to keep them. But when players are so close that I can't pick whose better, the less expensive one is definitely an advantage

2. Age. MacK's contract ends when he's 35. Draisaitl ends when he's 37. The last 2 years of the contract are 100% more risky for Drai. Players of this caliber usually decline by mid to late 30s, if not before

Your argument that McDavid prefers Draisaitl as a teammate also doesn't really register. By all accounts - McDavid wants to win. Are the Oilers in a better position to win with Drai vs MacK if you swap them? Regardless of how you answer - it's super close. I don't think one makes McDavid more or less likely to stay.

I’ll take Drai because not only is he a better player, he also rarely misses a game, which is better value for the money spent.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
It’s a poll about Player A or Player B, why move the goal posts and include outside intangibles that have nothing to do with the poll

I suppose it’s because the poll and topic has no structure to it. I’m sorry I’m not picking MacKinnon. You’ll just have to make due with the 85% majority.

Draisaitl is a product of McDavid, he's useless without McDavid. MacKinnon is the real deal and would squeeze all the potential out of McDavid! MacKinnon would hook McDavid up with the best diet, supplements and a high quality waterfiltration system. He would push McDavid to train 110 %. McDavid would simply be better with MacKinnon. And MacKinnon would be way better with McDavid too!

MacKinnon would fall in line behind his new captain.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I suppose it’s because the poll and topic has no structure to it. I’m sorry I’m not picking MacKinnon. You’ll just have to make due with the 85% majority.

It’s says “who would you rather have” that’s about as black and white as you can get with structure for a poll. It’s not a which player offers more intangibles poll

Reactions: I am not exposed

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
MacKinnon would fall in line behind his new captain.
Yeah that might be true, but if McDavid starts mailing it in and seem like he's settling for a 130 point season MacKinnon will go apeshit on him and force him to hit 160 points!

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
For me this isn't a speculation poll. These guys aren't prospects or rookies. They have clear track records.

And again for me, my criteria is all about what have you done in the post season. MacKinnon's accomplishments put him a head, but not head and shoulders, above Draisaitl. MacK first-line centering a team to a Cup win is simply a benchmark that Drai has never gotten to. Maybe it's just luck but until you win, you didn't win and in my book you don't get credit for winning either.

Edit: fixed the "captaining" error

Last edited:

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah that might be true, but if McDavid starts mailing it in and seem like he's settling for a 130 point season MacKinnon will go apeshit on him and force him to hit 160 points!
Every center in the league would be second fiddle to McDavid, MacKinnon has a track record of being able to carry a line and has abilities that are only rivalled by McDavid in this league. Imagine having to contain McDavid’s handling and speed only to see MacKinnon come onto the ice and have to then contain his handling and speed after. McDavid and MacKinnon are interchangeable and wouldn’t need to rely on each other as much as Draisiatl needs McDavid

Reactions: Sorry

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It’s says “who would you rather have” that’s about as black and white as you can get with structure for a poll. It’s not a which player offers more intangibles poll

I do think other things can factor in if it’s team specific. Like I don’t think Edmonton would take MacKinnon because they know McDavid and Draisaitl works so well on the PP and when they load up the top line. It’s not worth messing up that chemistry for MacKinnon potentially being better at centering the second line. And VN is right that Draisaitl probably also means it’s more likely they keep McDavid. But that obviously only applies to Edmonton, and taking Draisaitl on another team doesn’t mean McDavid would bolt for that team as well. Which means his comment that others are bad GMs because of it doesn’t make any sense.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I do think other things can factor in if it’s team specific. Like I don’t think Edmonton would take MacKinnon because they know McDavid and Draisaitl works so well on the PP and when they load up the top line. It’s not worth messing up that chemistry for MacKinnon potentially being better at centering the second line. And VN is right that Draisaitl probably also means it’s more likely they keep McDavid. But that obviously only applies to Edmonton, and taking Draisaitl on another team doesn’t mean McDavid would bolt for that team as well. Which means his comment that others are bad GMs because of it doesn’t make any sense.
They are fair comments but it just makes a rather simplistic poll convoluted. You can argue the same for Mac and Makar both staying with Colorado. Why go deeper down rabbit holes when you can just stick to the facts?

Oiler fans know what they have with Draisaitl, why ruin that chemistry. It would be silly for them to want MacKinnon over the player they know works well.

Crow

May 19, 2014
For me this isn't a speculation poll. These guys aren't prospects or rookies. They have clear track records.

And again for me, my criteria is all about what have you done in the post season. MacKinnon's accomplishments put him a head, but not head and shoulders, above Draisaitl. MacK captaining a team to a Cup win is simply a benchmark that Drai has never gotten to. Maybe it's just luck but until you win, you didn't win and in my book you don't get credit for winning either.
He didn’t captain that team.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

And again for me, my criteria is all about what have you done in the post season. MacKinnon's accomplishments put him a head, but not head and shoulders, above Draisaitl. MacK captaining a team to a Cup win is simply a benchmark that Drai has never gotten to. Maybe it's just luck but until you win, you didn't win and in my book you don't get credit for winning either.
Landeskog was captain, Mack has never been the captain.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Ofcourse Mackinnon due to signing 2 years or so before Draisaitl did

Still I do feel Mackinnon could have taken more when he signed in 2022

He only took 100K more than Mcdavid

We have seen Matthews take 725K (on half the term mind you) and now Draisaitl take 1.5M more

I think Mackinnon could have taken a higher cap % back then and wouldnt look overpaid or odd. If he was a UFA this summer he would be making 15-16M on a 8 year deal after his last two seasons being just absurdly good

I do. Mack isn’t as good as the German Gretzky, regardless that this thread is going to get locked up real quick.
Mackinnon clears Draisaitl by a tier these past two years

Mackinnon and Kucherov are getting close to Ovechkin and Crosby level

Another top 3 ross/hart/lindsay type year for both of them and they are top 15 players all time for me

Draisaitl is a bit below that unless he has a monster season next year

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

We have seen Matthews take 725K (on half the term mind you) and now Draisaitl take 1.5M more

I think Mackinnon could have taken a higher cap % back then and wouldnt look overpaid or odd. If he was a UFA this summer he would be making 15-16M on a 8 year deal after his last two seasons being just absurdly good

Yeah. Some Avs fans were short sighted enough to complain that it wasn’t a discount at the time. Things are mostly judged in retrospect so you have to give it time.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
The answer here is too obvious. I bet most HFers would take MacKinnon even for 14M...
what's wrong with taking him over Drai? dont pretend like it's crazy to take MacKinnon over Drai.
imo MacKinnon is the better overall player. Drai has benefitted playing with McDavid majority of his career.
both are incredible players but I slightly give MacKinnon the lead.

Yeah. Some Avs fans were short sighted enough to complain that it wasn’t a discount at the time. Things are mostly judged in retrospect so you have to give it time.
flat cap era

topseed

Jun 17, 2024
Big fan of Drai, but this is Mack all day. If you change the contracts(Drai for 6x12.6 and Mack for 8x14), I'd still probably take Mack.

Reactions: waitin425

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017

Mackinnon clears Draisaitl by a tier these past two years

Mackinnon and Kucherov are getting close to Ovechkin and Crosby level

Another top 3 ross/hart/lindsay type year for both of them and they are top 15 players all time for me

Draisaitl is a bit below that unless he has a monster season next year

MacKinnon had a better season last year. Where are you getting clearing him by a tier over the last two seasons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad