MacKinnon at 12.5M or Draisaitl at 14M?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who would you rather have?

• MacKinnon

Votes: 241 87.3%
  • Draisaitl

Votes: 30 10.9%
  • Can't decide

Votes: 5 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
MacKinnon obviously.

He's arguably as good/slightly better - so just makes sense. Also - unlike Drai, we've seen MacK in the #1C role, so a bit less risk there.

If this was equal $$ it would be a better poll and I'd consider it more closely.

Also - despite all that - Draisaitl 100% got a fair contract. The 2 years apart makes a big difference. If both players had their contracts due in the same years, odds are they'd both be a bit closer.

Reactions: zar

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Drai at 14 for 8yrs
Vs
Mac at 12.6 for 6yrs

That's really what this is since that's how long both contracts will be, when they are both in effect.

I probably still take Mac, but it's a lot closer than the full 8yrs for both.

Technically - 6 years is better than 8 for this particular comparison.

Years 7 and 8 for Draisaitl he will be 37 and 38 years old. He almost for sure will not be worth anywhere near $14M by then. It's a fair contract he signed - but it's mostly because Oilers are counting on Drai's peak in the first ~3-5 years of his contract being great, knowing he'll slow down eventually.

If both players were younger - 8 years would be better than 6.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I think MacK is better but this is such a disingenuous poll.

Why do people insist on comparing contracts signed at different times as if it needs to have some relationship to where fans think they “rank” in their heads?

There is no correlation to the top 5, 10, 50 players in terms of their cap hit rank and their “fantasy” or “EA Sports” rating. There never has been.

Reactions: zar

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
In a vacuum you take Mack who I voted for. However for Oilers the chemistry between him and McDavid plus the assumption McDavid will now most likely re-sign you pay Drai smiling.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
because of the special relationship Drai has with McDavid, for the Oilers, it should be Drai.
A non-McDavid team would probably choose MacK

Crow

May 19, 2014
Wonder what the percentage of cap was at the time of each signing.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
So many bad GMs in here. How don’t you understand that the Drai contract comes with almost assuredly locking up McDavid?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'd pick MacKinnon even if they were making the same money. MacKinnon at $1.5 million less per season just makes it even more lopsided for me.

Reactions: NikolaTesla

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
So many bad GMs in here. How don’t you understand that the Drai contract comes with almost assuredly locking up McDavid?

Huh? How do you figure?

You think if Edmonton trades Draisaitl for MacKinnon tomorrow morning 1vs1 as-is, it makes McDavid more likely to walk?

Drai's biggest infleunce on McDavid is how good a player he is, and how they both loving playing with each other/make each other better. I figure if Oilers swap Drai for MacK, McDavid gets pretty much the same thing with an equivalent player.

I don't really see the McDavid angle here.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Huh? How do you figure?

You think if Edmonton trades Draisaitl for MacKinnon tomorrow morning 1vs1 as-is, it makes McDavid more likely to walk?

I do. Mack isn’t as good as the German Gretzky, regardless that this thread is going to get locked up real quick.

• Haha
Reactions: Dick Knows
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad