Confirmed with Link: Monahan traded to Jets for 2024 1st and cond. 3rd in 2027.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Again, I'm happy with the trade. I was holding outside hope that somehow we'd add assets to the deal to get a prospect. but again, Im still happy.
This is Hughes. There’s no guarantee he actually keeps the picks he acquires. They could still work out a trade for somebody they have their eye on. Having an extra first round pick helps with that.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Potential Draft pick rankings:
Win Cup - 32nd plus a 2027 3rd rounder
Finalist - 31st
Conference finalist - 29th or 30th
Fails to make Conference finals - probably 27th or 28th
that's a good reminder that the difference for the Jets, since they are currently sitting ahead of all but 2 of the East teams, is minimal if they don't reach the WCF vs if they do.

Hopefully they go on a terrible stretch to close out the year and drop into a WC spot :naughty:

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
You were saying the same about management before Bergevin and you'll still be saying the same after Hughes.
Ok not going to go into a bit by bit argument because there's no point, but what exactly was the alternative to what we're doing?

Bergevin replaced Weber, Price, Danault, Tatar, Kotkaniemi, and Perry with Savard, nobody, Dvorak, Hoffman, nobody, and Paquette. You can't just snap your fingers and get back to competing with a fully capped out roster after losing all those guys and replacing them with nobody good.

All the complaints about the rebuild/tank phase seem to suggest that there was an alternative, but look at what it cost for Calgary to dump Monahan, what was the price to dump Hoffman, Drouin, etc and then ADD top six forwards? I get it, it's frustrating that we didn't really get anywhere with the Price era besides the covid year and now the team is spinning its wheels in a rebuild, but being frustrated about the rebuild doesn't mean we can just acquire new fully developed Price/Weber tier players by force of will.

Last edited:

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
IMG_0816.jpeg

Look what those dudes have done to the Habs!

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
ok humor me

van give up tons and eats all the salary
peg give a #1 pick

are these 2 deals the same in value for both centres of their valve
If you and others expected to get the same for Monahan that Calgary got for Lindholm, people egregiously over-valued Monahan then

Explain to me also, why Monahan wasn't #1 on the TSN Tradebait then instead of Lindholm?

Getting a 1st for Monahan while we're RIGHT smack in the middle of rebuild is a huge get

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I was not a fan of MB, I thought he made a lot of terrible decisions, but Hugues and him had totally different mandates. Clearly an easier one for Hugues right now. It's a lot easier to acquire picks than assets to make the playoffs.
Not exactly true. Both Hughes and MB had the exact same mandate when they first started, the difference is that Hughes seems to be following through with the rebuild and MB put it into hyperdrive once the team overachieved in his first year as GM.

Reactions: Miller Time

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
KH drafted a bust and added two players that teams wanted to get rid of with those picks.
By that logic, Yzerman does not deserve praise for acquiring Sergachev. He merely picked up a guy we wanted to get rid of.

Same with Savard and Pollock re Bobby Smith in 1983 and Frank Mahovlich in 1971.

When Dallas got Seguin for Erickson, they were merely getting someone Boston wanted to get rid of. No credit to Dallas.

No credit to Doug Wilson for getting that unwanted bum Joe Thornton.

Last edited:

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
Hughes said this year would still be about asset accumulation and that next summer he’d start making the team competitive by using these assets. I think it’s fair to reserve judgement until next year. MB never chose a direction either way, let’s see what Kent does next year and after and then maybe we can criticize.

Richard Bolton

Aug 21, 2012
I was not a fan of MB, I thought he made a lot of terrible decisions, but Hugues and him had totally different mandates. Clearly an easier one for Hugues right now. It's a lot easier to acquire picks than assets to make the playoffs.
Definitely. Just saying that we absolutely have not been rebuilding since 2016. We missed the playoffs because we had a shit team, not because we were rebuilding anything.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
If you and others expected to get the same for Monahan that Calgary got for Lindholm, people egregiously over-valued Monahan then

Explain to me also, why Monahan wasn't #1 on the TSN Tradebait instead of Lindholm?

Getting a 1st for Monahan while we're RIGHT smack in the middle of rebuild is a huge get
oh I did not expect the same deal back
what I am saying it is both teams got a first and van got way more.
is all.
I will live, but just so tried of draft picks when other teams trade and get prospects of value

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
oh I did not expect the same deal back
what I am saying it is both teams got a first and van got way more.
is all.
I will live, but just so tried of draft picks when other teams trade and get prospects of value
What value? Bustkoowhich might be good but there is presumably a reason Canucks were willing to move him. Habs 1st will be better, the 3rd is better (depending on conditions) and the other player is a nobody.

Last edited:

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
Not exactly true. Both Hughes and MB had the exact same mandate when they first started, the difference is that Hughes seems to be following through with the rebuild and MB put it into hyperdrive once the team overachieved in his first year as GM.
I think we are in our first real rebuild. I don't recall any other year in which the team clearly stated that they started a rebuild process and that "playoffs" were not a word to even pronounce.

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
We've had 2 top 5 picks in 2 years with HuGo and we didn't even get a future superstar out of those drafts. It's not really going well so far.
You can only play the cards you're dealt with. It's not like the guys drafted after Slaf and Reinbacher are slam dunk stars either. Plus you're forgetting the other moves Kent Hughes made. You can keep whining about injuries, but the Dach trade is still a good one and Newhook was also looking good. Then there's Beck, Hutson, Fowler, Engstrom, etc. Sure we still need high end forwards, but until this group can start winning, we'll have good shots at drafting them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad