Confirmed with Link: Monahan traded to Jets for 2024 1st and cond. 3rd in 2027.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
I didn't expect the rebuild to take more than 30 years.

Wow, didn't expect someone more black pilled than me :laugh:

This trade in and of itself is good.

I think the mistake they made is not going full steam ahead with the rebuild and kind of half-assing it. I think that's a Molson problem and there's nothing they can do about that.

That's been our issue for 30 years, which has been a perpetual half-assed serving of mediocrity and incompetence followed by the occasional mild retool. A real rebuild takes years and requires you to really suffer for a little while to get top-end talent. I don't know if ownership of Hab fans in general are patient enough for that.

Apr 28, 2010
Not exactly true. Both Hughes and MB had the exact same mandate when they first started, the difference is that Hughes seems to be following through with the rebuild and MB put it into hyperdrive once the team overachieved in his first year as GM.
im not a fan of mb either but we have to realize that it's hard to commit to a rebuild when you have carey price as your goalie winning games by himself. whether you keep him or trade him, it was just a lose-lose situation for mb.

Reactions: Benstheman

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
oh I did not expect the same deal back
what I am saying it is both teams got a first and van got way more.
is all.
I will live, but just so tried of draft picks when other teams trade and get prospects of value
Well
The last thing we needed was 'more' defensive prospects lol

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Ok not going to go into a bit by bit argument because there's no point, but what exactly was the alternative to what we're doing?

Bergevin replaced Weber, Price, Danault, Tatar, Kotkaniemi, and Perry with Savard, nobody, Dvorak, Hoffman, nobody, and Paquette. You can't just snap your fingers and get back to competing with a fully capped out roster after losing all those guys and replacing them with nobody good.

All the complaints about the rebuild/tank phase seem to suggest that there was an alternative, but look at what it cost for Calgary to dump Monahan, what was the price to dump Hoffman, Drouin, etc and then ADD top six forwards? I get it, it's frustrating that we didn't really get anywhere with the Price era besides the covid year and now the team is spinning its wheels in a rebuild, but being frustrated about the rebuild doesn't mean we can just acquire new fully developed Price/Weber tier players by force of will.
There was no alternative, its still not true that the Habs are only in year two of the rebuild since they havent competed since 2017.

Fans only see one thing and its the produce on the ice, weve been seeing a struggling team for near a decade now. Its a fallacy to say the rebuild started two years ago because HuGo came in in 2022.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
So surprise the condition alimentaire pick isnt the 1st round pick.....

Cant complain. Hugues management to get a 2024 ans 2025 1st round pick for nothing.
The essence of good asset management, tinged with a speck of luck that Monahan recovered and maintained his health long enough to secure another first round draft choice.

Good day for the team and its fans.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Well, at least we got a first, but it is likely to be pretty low with a low chance at getting a player of quality, and who will probably take a few years to join the Habs, like 2027-29. I would have preferred a good prospect. But I guess we can use it as a traiding chip, too.

I hope Winnipeg struggles down the stretch and gets booted out in the first round now.

Would be cool if we sign Monahan in the off season again, lol. The gift that keeps giving.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
So what’s the earliest the Peg first rounder can be? What if they go on a prolonged losing skid?

We’ll need @Adam Michaels and @MarkovsKnee to provide game by game pick volatility.
:popcorn:

As long as they don't get to final 4, the lowest pick it can be is #23.

But, since we have their pick, they're definitely getting to final four maybe to SCF like Florida. Montreal doesn't have any luck when it comes to the draft.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Well
The last thing we needed was 'more' defensive prospects lol
Lambert is far from a defensige prospect though, it wouldve been cool to get him. Alligns much better with our window too, he couldve maybe even played top 6 this year, or helped the Rocket with a deep run.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I think what people are whining about is us not fleecing the other team. The way I see it, it's a great trade for both. Money is a good player. That paired with better players could be even better. What Jets didn't do is panic and offer too much. They got Money without giving any prospect. They did well.....but so did we.

Them doing well does NOT mean us not doing well...lol. It,s really as if doing well now means....CRUSHING THE OTHER TEAM!!!!

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Fans only see one thing and its the produce on the ice,

764x9ndy0a281.jpg

Reactions: Twisted Sinister

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
There was no alternative, its still not true that the Habs are only in year two of the rebuild since they havent competed since 2017.

Fans only see one thing and its the produce on the ice, weve been seeing a struggling team for near a decade now. Its a fallacy to say the rebuild started two years ago because HuGo came in in 2022.
It's not a fallacy because, despite not competing, MB was doing everything in his power to try and compete. He was signing guys like Hoffman, trading for Dvorak, etc because he thought the team could win.

The rebuild was confirmed in 2022 because the new guys coming in legitimately said "we're going to suck for a while and we're going to rebuild because of that." That was NEVER something even thought of by MB.

Reactions: Takeru

JackZap

May 7, 2009
Seems they don’t want anymore prospects that are ready in 3-4 years. I expect them to trade a bunch of picks + D for some offensive punch this summer. A legit top 6 guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad