Low Effort GDT Game 4 | Why has God forsaken us! - Sens vs Devils - 7PM EST on TSN

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I didn't see the game. Watched the highlights on youtbe this morning. Looked to me like Ottawa was right with them, every step of the way, just couldn't beat Markstrom and the posts. A win would've been amazing.. would've been a real statement. But, didn't happen.

Positive: Looked like Fosberg played well. Great for his confidence. Negative: They couldn't bury their chances. They have to find a way.

Tons of season left. So far, I like the vibe I'm getting from this team. It feels different from last season. They do seem more confident and determined. T-Bay will be an important statement game.

Reactions: swiftwin

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
My takeaways from the game:

1. Giroux didn’t hustle back on his PP hiveaway and so there was no back pressure. Complete lack of hustle from a leader. Bad look. Media won’t say it but Giroux mailed it in

2. Lack of impact from Stu and Brady. When Amadio is as noticeble as Brady 4 games into the season - Brady ain’t working hard enough defensively. You think about the best Captain this team has ever had and when he wasn’t scoring you noticed him on every forecheck , the PK, board play, neutral zone pressure. Brady doesn’t impact game without the puck on his stick, he disappears and that’s not good

3. Goalie depth sucksssssssss

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The sens has bad coaches for several years before Jacques Martin came around and it was almost instantly playoffs for 11 straight years. It shouldn't take that long to adjust. You should see positives almost immediately if they're a great coach.
Jacques Martin's first year with the sens he came in at the halfway point and went 10-24-4, even the next year we barely squeeked in with 2 pts over the whalers for the last spot. it wasn't instant, and when we did get in, it was largely in part to an improved roster.

The year we missed under Martin, Yashin only played half the season, and our 3rd leading scorer was Cunningworth.
When we made the playoffs, Alfie, Yashin and Daigle all played full and productive seasons, we added Redden and York, as well as having a full year of Laukanen who'd been acquired at the deadline the year prior, that's 3 top 4 D added to Duschene in place of guys like Modry, Hill and Neckar. We also added Tugnutt to give us a solid goaltending tandem.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I also liked jbd who I normally do not like. If that pair shows any chemistry whatsoever then hamonic has to be the scratch.
Yeah, JBD was quietly good, he and Kleven might be a solid third pair. I get wanting Kleven with a vet, but I think JBD is better at least against skilled teams. Hamonic actually played alright too that game though, and I think he handles heavy forechecks (not fast though, just heavy) a bit better so it might depend on the opposition who is the better fit.

Gaudette had a good game as well, I was ready to try someone different but I think he did enough to earn some rope. I still think a bigger more physical player is what we need on the 4th though.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

1. Giroux didn’t hustle back on his PP hiveaway and so there was no back pressure. Complete lack of hustle from a leader. Bad look. Media won’t say it but Giroux mailed it in

2. Lack of impact from Stu and Brady. When Amadio is as noticeble as Brady 4 games into the season - Brady ain’t working hard enough defensively. You think about the best Captain this team has ever had and when he wasn’t scoring you noticed him on every forecheck , the PK, board play, neutral zone pressure. Brady doesn’t impact game without the puck on his stick, he disappears and that’s not good

1. Even if he hustled he wasn't catching up, the giveaway was terrible though. Cousins or Pinto might have been able to keep pace with the 2nd man allowing Chabot to put more pressure on the shooter, but the real issue was that terrible giveaway.

3. There was nothing wrong with Forsberg that game. he was the furthest thing from the problem.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
1. Even if he hustled he wasn't catching up, the giveaway was terrible though. Cousins or Pinto might have been able to keep pace with the 2nd man allowing Chabot to put more pressure on the shooter, but the real issue was that terrible giveaway.

3. There was nothing wrong with Forsberg that game. he was the furthest thing from the problem.
So Giroux is wearing an A, playing on the top line and top PP and you excuse his lack of effort because why? It was written in destiny it was going to be a goal? (That’s DJ Smith hockey)

If we want to win every moment of every game matters and if the stars aren’t hustling, you won’t win.

Giroux’s effort sets a bad example. Nobody is saying that because it’s Ottawa and we didn’t critique the top players - but Giroux totally did nothing to make up for his mistake and it’s a culture problem.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010

1. Agreed, but even if he tried, Giroux doesn't have the legs to get back in that situation.
2. That line has not clicked, and going back to point 1, they are carrying around Giroux who can barely get to his spots on time. Swap him for Batherson and watch Timmy and Brady go off.
3. No argument here - Forsberg has to step up.

Reactions: Tuna99

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
It seems it a big challenge for them to win 2 consecutive games

BTW why isn't Ullmark playing? Is he injured or something?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
They didn't enter the league as top defensive forwards. I'm sure Jacques Martin had a hand in developing their 200 foot games.

Where is Brady or Timmy's 200 foot game?

Depth was the same age as our depth now. You think guys like Schaefer or Fisher or Neil or Kelly were 28 before they made the playoffs with the sens? No.

Edit: looking at how young our core was when we first made the playoffs and comparing it to our aged core who has never made the playoffs is depressing.

Yashin - 22
Alfredsson - 23
Daigle - 21
Dackell - 23
Redden - 19
Zholtok - 23
Bonk - 20
Bicanek - 21
Neckar - 20

The following year we added 19 year old Phillips and 18 year old Hossa.

1999-2000 when we broke out with 103 points..

Hossa - 19
Phillips - 20
Redden - 21
Bonk - 22
Neckar - 22
Prospal - 23
Salo - 23
Murray - 23
Bicanek - 23
Yashin - 24
Traverse - 24
Dackell - 25
Johansson - 25
Alfredsson - 25
Sarault - 25

How come that core knew how to be a winner in their age 20-25 years, but ours only know how to be losers?

Is it time to realize this dorion build isn't good enough, and to do a major retool(if you think we have enough value in our lineup to win a cup) or a rebuild (if we need to gain value to win a cup)?

Our core isn't young anymore. No one is under 22.

Perron - 36
Giroux - 36
Jensen - 33
Ullmark - 31
Zub - 28
Chabot - 27
Batherson - 26
Norris - 25
Tkachuk - 24

Aside from stutzle and Sanderson, there isn't much for a super young core. They shut be in put up or break up mode.
You're missing our two best players aren't you? How old are they?

How many teams in the league back in the late 90s? It's not really an apples to apples comparison

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
You're missing our two best players aren't you? How old are they?

How many teams in the league back in the late 90s? It's not really an apples to apples comparison

I literally mentioned stutzle and Sanderson...open your eyes.

I also literally mentioned the amount of teams making it easier to make the playoffs then..

Again, open your eyes.

Don't quote me to reply to me to try to get a "gotcha" when I already addressed your concerns in the posts you quoted, or other posts in the convo.

I think the main difference between those teams and these teams is the top players on those teams loved 2-way play led by Hossa and Alfie and they set the standard and everyone had to give their best on the defensive side or they didn’t play. Brady/Timmy don’t have that mindset. They are more a Jason Soezza mindset where they are there to score for the team and defence is a secondary concern.

Next game we’ll win if there’s a hilite pack of Brady making defensive plays. If not, he goes away in games and Amadio becomes more noticeable

I agree, and this is my concern. This team doesn't have "winner" engrained in them. They have padding their stats engrained in them.

Brady and Timmy and Chabot are not setting the standard of 200 foot hockey. I don't think they ever will. I'm of the belief that this team isn't en route to a cup win any time soon...

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I literally mentioned stutzle and Sanderson...open your eyes.

I also literally mentioned the amount of teams making it easier to make the playoffs then..

Again, open your eyes.

Don't quote me to reply to me to try to get a "gotcha" when I already addressed your concerns in the posts you quoted, or posts before.

I agree, and this is my concern. This team doesn't have "winner" engrained in them. They have padding their stats engrained in them.

Brady and Timmy and Chabot are not setting the standard of 200 foot hockey. I don't think they ever will. I'm of the belief that this team isn't en route to a cup win any time soon...
Well, maybe it's just me but our two best players are our youngest and they're absent from your list of player ages

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I thought that was a pretty evenly played game. Used up the puck luck bucket against LA. Sens were in it and they can clean up some details to be better.

I didn't like the 2nd goal . Giveaway on the PP, a AWOL tracking back, and I would call it a bad goal on Forsberg,

I have found Tkachuk to be a slow starter and he definitely is this year. He has 2-3 more gears than what he is playing at and he still looks like a duck out of water defensively.

Pinto's line other than Amadio had probably their least effective game this year.

I thought JBD had a good first game . He will get time with Zub out but he should be playing more. Far less erratic than Hamonic.

Reactions: Micklebot

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So Giroux is wearing an A, playing on the top line and top PP and you excuse his lack of effort because why? It was written in destiny it was going to be a goal? (That’s DJ Smith hockey)

If we want to win every moment of every game matters and if the stars aren’t hustling, you won’t win.

Giroux’s effort sets a bad example. Nobody is saying that because it’s Ottawa and we didn’t critique the top players - but Giroux totally did nothing to make up for his mistake and it’s a culture problem.
He can hustle, but it wouldn't have made a difference in the play is what I'm saying. If you want him to bust his ass to be there too late, that's fine, but it wouldn't have made any difference in the back pressure on that play, just correcting the narrative that his lazy play was why there wasn't pressure one the shooter.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
MacEwen has really been good so far, I know he was slotted as the 13th forward, but based on his play he should be in the line up every night. He's working hard, being physical and contributes offensively. He had some really good dangles last night.
credit where it's due, he's really surprised me this year.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Well, maybe it's just me but our two best players are our youngest and they're absent from your list of player ages

But I quite literally mentioned them right under saying they are younger.

The problem is, 2 people isn't your core...and the majority of our core is in their prime or past their prime...and we haven't sniffed the playoffs.

It's all good and well that stutzle and Sanderson are young, but do you see a handful of boarderline star players coming up behind them in the future to round out a star core that can win the cup? Me neither.

Probably best to take your own advice as well then when replying.

Which concerns of yours did I ignore and then claim you didn't mention?

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Gonna be interesting to see how our secondary scoring develops cause it's looking pretty shit so far. Amadio and Perron, no points. Giroux and Pinto, 2 points each. Chabot, Jensen, Hamonic, JBD, Kleven, Zub - 4 points total in 20 games combined.

Apart from the 8 goals against Kuemper, we have 5 goals in our other 3 games, which is simply not a scoring rate that gets you anywhere but the basement of the league.

Hopefully they get it going soon.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Gonna be interesting to see how our secondary scoring develops cause it's looking pretty shit so far. Amadio and Perron, no points. Giroux and Pinto, 2 points each. Chabot, Jensen, Hamonic, JBD, Kleven, Zub - 4 points total in 20 games combined.

The only guys I'm concerned about are Chabot, Giroux and Pinto.

No one else there is any good offensively.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I also thought Norris was really good. But the number do not seem to back me up on that.
That line did not generate much last night.

Norris seems to be playing with more confidence.

Pinto's line was ok but not as effective as their 1st 3, where I think they were clearly the best line. Pinto not practicing today may be a sign on that. That line didn't play at all in the last 2:40 , Perron in the last 4

Although I think its right to be patient early while the players settle in I do think Stutzle's line has to be rethought.

Last edited:

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
I thought that was a pretty evenly played game. Used up the puck luck bucket against LA. Sens were in it and they can clean up some details to be better.

I didn't like the 2nd goal . Giveaway on the PP, a AWOL tracking back, and I would call it a bad goal on Forsberg,

I have found Tkachuk to be a slow starter and he definitely is this year. He has 2-3 more gears than what he is playing at and he still looks like a duck out of water defensively.

Pinto's line other than Amadio had probably their least effective game this year.

I thought JBD had a good first game . He will get time with Zub out but he should be playing more. Far less erratic than Hamonic.
I agree with all of this. I was at the game last night.

and what did Ottawa end up with? 5-6 posts?

Could have easily been a different story.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad