Confirmed with Link: Monahan traded to Jets for 2024 1st and cond. 3rd in 2027.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Monahan is injury prone and won't stick to Winnipeg after this. Vancouver has stated they would like to retain Lindholm past this season, and has otherwise been healthier.
so the whole deal of these to trades is health and Sean M won't sign in the peg

Van gives more up for that? seems like Calgary won that deal big time

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
BargainBin is the gift that keeps on giving... only 4 years till his mess is fully off the books

You were saying the same about management before Bergevin and you'll still be saying the same after Hughes.

de4849ae095d91695589cceb77757f73.gif

Reactions: Riddick412

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
There's other conditional picks. All the conditions are unlikely but there is other conditional 3rd and 4th associated with the trade with Calgary for taking on Monahan's contract.

You're right. The conditions on the Calgary pick are so convoluted, that in those conditions, a 3rd and a 4th are in there. But those aren't guaranteed picks. The only guaranteed pick in the Calgary deal is the 1st and the conditions for the 3rd and 4th are only dependant on what happens with the 1st round pick.

It's unlike this Jets deal, where you are guaranteed a pick other than the 1st round pick, the only thing left to do is see what the condition on that 3rd is.

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
Pretty much what I expected. Happy and sad at the same time.

End of the season won't be fun for sure.

Now , one small thing. The best scenario would have been a trade to a team that is fighting for a playoffs spot in a must win now year instead of a team that is already almost sure to make the playoffs. Now, there is still a lot of hockey to be played. Maybe we'll get lucky.

Anyway, thanks for you service Sean.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Can't be both. If on LTIR, he won't be blocking Beck.

Let's see how he finishes the season and if he is available July 1st. If so, at what AAV and term.
Why not sign an injury prone player long term, we can just LTIR him is not really good team building.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I admit I was expecting more but I was wrong. Still very happy. Hopefully they pick up a centre or 2 that can finish the season, otherwise Laval is screwed.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I feel some people disappointed that "a good, cheap 2C" only got so much tend to leave the injury factor out the equation.
This is major considering another team's pov.
Flip the script to us as contenders giving up more than a 1st for such a player, there'd be riot and fear he wouldn't even make it to the playoffs.
Pretty decent return imo, this pretty much exemplifies the saying a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
Have used that saying just yesterday, hoping for an early deal. Timing was optimal to sell Monahan.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I'm curious what we do with all these picks and d-prospects as Hughes was explicit in saying he would leverage them in a trade.
We've already seen that Hughes knows the worth of first-round picks, unlike MB who hoarded them and barely ever drafted anyone that panned out.

I trust he'll try to use some to get someone who can help. Whether it's this season or at the draft. If I had to guess, I'd say draft.

Reactions: Andy

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Trade the two picks you got foe Monahan together and you will see real value on a shorter term. These picks should not be seen individually, even though you can hit a good player with these kind of late first rounders. Also, we can hope Winnipeg got some injuries and fall and miss the playoffs, unlikely but you never know. One thing for sure, I don't want the 2027 3rd round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad