Confirmed with Link: Monahan traded to Jets for 2024 1st and cond. 3rd in 2027.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
We're in the middle of a rebuild and HuGo moved out a UFA vet for a 1st - that's perfect in my eyes.
Let's not forget he got injured last season and we missed our chance. We got lucky that HuGo were able to convince him to resign with us at 1.95M
Also, I saw someone quote a stat on Monahan the other day. He used to average a 100+ hits per season - this year he has like 4. He's purposely playing soft to avoid injury.
Absolutely loved him this season in MTL and hope he returns as a FA in July.

This helps the Tank and we get to give his ice time to some of our other young players. Or maybe we add a cap dump C for an asset from a team trying to move out salary at the TDL.

I'm happy with the move

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
why are people saying we got 2 first rounders ? what am i missing?

i guess they mean one from cgy (before) and one now

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
LOL some of the reactions and comments here is just.. come on..

People thought we wouldn't get a 1st, and others thought we'd get untouchable prospects for a rental..?

People thought teams in the 13-18 picks range think they trade the farms for rentals..? Do they not realize the Pick for Monahan would always be 25 or more..?
Is this people's first go around with trade deadlines..?

Why do people think we pick someone with that 25th ov pick..?
People don't realize the wealth of ammunition we are building for a big time possible acquisition in the offseason? Even bigger than Newhook which in itself was a good get top 9 wise

Lol you really just can't please some people no matter what sometimes.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
At least Bergevin got us to a SC final and some playoffs action. Hughes desn't even plan to make the playoffs.
That took him 9 years and COVID restrictions making a Canadian conference. Then the team completely imploded when league was back to normal to have arguably the worst season in franchise history.

I hope Hughes has more success than that. Been 2 years so far but definitely don't want to wait 9 years to have a fluke run and then become garbage. Have higher expectations than that.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Good deal. Would not be against trading a lot of draft capital if an elite player becomes available. Would not be against signing him back if he's available.
Only thing is I was hoping he would be traded to Edmonton.

Reactions: Runner77

KFlint

Sep 27, 2010
That was the right thing to do, taking a chance to play him until the deadline was very risky in his case.

Seems like a pure rental for Winnipeg, don’t think he is coming back here after but who knows, not sure we have anybody to replace him next year.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
LOL some of the reactions and comments here is just.. come on..

People thought we wouldn't get a 1st, and others thought we'd get untouchable prospects for a rental..?

People thought teams in the 13-18 picks range think they trade the farms for rentals..? Do they not realize the Pick for Monahan would always be 25 or more..?
Is this people's first go around with trade deadlines..?

Why do people think we pick someone with that 25th ov pick..?
People don't realize the wealth of ammunition we are building for a big time possible acquisition in the offseason? Even bigger than Newhook which in itself was a good get top 9 wise

Lol you really just can't please some people no matter what sometimes.
ok humor me

van give up tons and eats all the salary
peg give a #1 pick

are these 2 deals the same in value for both centres of their valve

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
both have not proved they are scoring studs yet.
Dach I like

Newhook, is on the prove it to me shelf
correct me if I am wrong.. but Newhook trade never lit the boards for all to rejoice. it was a maybe trade
22-23 year old season, 7goals in 23 games in his first real shot at top-6 role. Very promising unless a person has zero patience or consideration of player progression

Richard Bolton

Aug 21, 2012
ok humor me

van give up tons and eats all the salary
peg give a #1 pick

are these 2 deals the same in value for both centres of their valve
Monahan is injury prone and won't stick to Winnipeg after this. Vancouver has stated they would like to retain Lindholm past this season, and has otherwise been healthier.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Monahan’s injury history played big in both the return and timing of this trade.

I was hoping to see the conditional pick be performance/ games played dependent but that’s just a minor quibble.

What is likely is that none of the other suitors must have offered a first rounder, despite having been left out of the Lindholm sweepstakes.
I feel some people disappointed that "a good, cheap 2C" only got so much tend to leave the injury factor out the equation.
This is major considering another team's pov.
Flip the script to us as contenders giving up more than a 1st for such a player, there'd be riot and fear he wouldn't even make it to the playoffs.
Pretty decent return imo, this pretty much exemplifies the saying a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad