Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
There could be worse returns no doubt but if he’s moved I’d rather someone who’s proven.
It wouldn't be one for one. Tkachuk plus for Marner could work. Tkachuk isn't a cancer, he wants to win. How happy would you be to be on Ottawa?! Tkachuk plus a first rounder gets me interested.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It wouldn't be one for one. Tkachuk plus for Marner could work. Tkachuk isn't a cancer, he wants to win. How happy would you be to be on Ottawa?! Tkachuk plus a first rounder gets me interested.
If the Captain wants out why would Marner want in?

Reactions: bax

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Good luck. You'd be lucky if they considered 1 for 1. No way they add. They not even be interested in Marner, and his ask.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Uhhhh Maple Leafs would be laughing hysterically if they got Tkatchuk 1 for 1... he's the better player and his cap hit is way better too.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Try to make the team.

When the Marner and Matthews and Nylander careers are over and they understand that a paycut that would not change the quality of life for them at all, would increase the chance of a Stanley cup by 80%(just guessing here), they will regret it.

I still blame Tavares contract, it was like a startpistol for "show me the money". He could have gotten more some say. Imagine how the contracts would look then.
I wish we never got Tavares. He became the star the others was aiming for and beyond.
I honestly don't think they will give one iota of a f**k

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Good luck. You'd be lucky if they considered 1 for 1. No way they add. They not even be interested in Marner, and his ask.

If you had Matthew Tkachuk on your team (MVP candidate, 2x over 100 points, playoff beast ) would you trade him for Marner (selke nomination, 100-point pacer, playoff chocker) +1M cap hit.

Unless it's a 3 team trade involving Kyle Dubas, I'm not seeing it. You could slap a couple of 1sts and retention on top of Marner and they would still laugh at you.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If you had Matthew Tkachuk on your team (MVP candidate, 2x over 100 points, playoff beast ) would you trade him for Marner (selke nomination, 100-point pacer, playoff chocker) +1M cap hit.

Unless it's a 3 team trade involving Kyle Dubas, I'm not seeing it. You could slap a couple of 1sts and retention on top of Marner and they would still laugh at you.
Matthew is not being traded. Brady may have asked out of Ottawa.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

It think the deal involved Brady, who is none of those things - at least not yet- not Matthew Tkachuk.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Matthew is not being traded. Brady may have asked out of Ottawa.

We could use Brady, but it looks unlikely. JT+Marner+1st+2nd for Brady!

Senators president of hockey operations and general manager Steve Staios pushed back on rumors that the Senators could be interested in moving the 24-year-old, stating that the team is actively trying to build around him.
"Complete B.S.,'' Staios said on Monday, via The Athletic's Pierre LeBrun. "We are building this team around Brady. His leadership and unique skill set are rare. There is absolutely no validity to it.''

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Leo Draisaitl ---------> ELC ----> 8 years @ $8.5 mil --------> 3rd contract .......................[ View attachment 877426 points]
Mikko Rantanen ------>ELC ----> 6 years @ $9.25 mil ------> 3rd contract ........................[ View attachment 877428 points] + 1 Stanley Cup
Brayden Point --------> ELC ----> 3 years @ $6.75 mil ------> 8 years @ $9.5 mil ........ [ View attachment 877424 points] + 2 X Stanley Cups
Sebastion Aho -------> ELC -----> 5 years @ $8.45 mil -----> 6 years @ $9.75 mil ...... [ View attachment 877418 points]
Matthew Tkachuk ----> ELC -----> 3 years @ $7.0 mil ------> 8 years @ $9.50 mil ...... [ View attachment 877431 points]

vs

Mitch Marner ------> ELC ------> 6 years @ $10.9 mil ------> 3rd contract ...................... [ View attachment 877432 points] + 1 playoff round win

The record shows that Marner is the HIGHEST paid and LEAST productive player with the LEAST productive team results.

Most people understand that Marner's 2nd contract was an over-payment (above compatibles support) so now the options are double down and overpay him on his 3rd contract or move on from him because of the desire for the Leafs to have MORE playoff success and Marner's playoff contribution are the lowest of all his above comparables.

Because Marner was overpaid on his current contract now it means Leafs must overpay him on his 3rd because players get raises regardless or results/production ?
or
Instead of "2 wrongs don't make a right" and for the desire for the Leafs to get better production for their Cap $ buck and Leafs greater playoff results you trade him and move on?

1) Those Leafs fans that want Marner to stay, and believe he deserves to get a nice raise [$12.5 mil ???] need to explain how this helps the Leafs become more successful when he uses up even more Cap Space for the least productive comparable?

2) Of those comparable players above who would you rather have instead of Marner for Cap or Contract or Production reasons?

PS. If the Leafs could theoretically deal Marner 1-1 for any of those players above they would gain more production and lower Cap hit to do so. None of those teams that own those players above would deal their player for Marner in a 1-1 straight up deal. IMO
:handclap:

myleafs

May 25, 2021

Attachments

• pain.jpg
    pain.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 2

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Rumors about locker room issues in Ottawa, would you guys do Marner for Tkachuk ? No idea if Marner would waive for Ottawa but it's an interesting option. Obviously a divisional rival so probably next to 0 percent chance Ottawa would consider trading their captain here.

But Toronto (fans) are fed up with Marner, if there actually is trouble in Ottawa and how some people are speculating, it's a core piece (Could be Brady) it's an interesting option.

Obviously I think this would be a win for Toronto, as he has the size, the nastiness and the physicality we are missing and can play the top line. Also is a typical Treliving type of player. Just curious to see what that rest of you guys think. If there is a chance he's available I think we should go all in.

Marner is elite in the regular season and plays all situations, his offence could help Ottawa get into the playoffs.
I couldn't reply yes fast enough...didnt even read the rest til I did...lol sold sold sold sold sold no take backsies

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Two consecutive years of fans on this board voting 60+% in favor of Marner being moved. Pretty telling.
Please don't take this as a personal critique, but I felt I should post this response here.

It's a 100% Falsehood that it's a 60/40 split in favour of Marner being gone? It's a LOT more than that. WHY? It's OBVIOUS the OP has an agenda, and very likely works for a marketing company and has a personal vested interest in Marner staying . Don't forget, I have been employed in an organization in a previous life that has been responsible for writing polling language in order to influence public opinion. Questions are PURPOSELY written to be ambiguous so pollsters can "interpret" the polls in favour of the organization that commissioned the poll (he who pays the piper calls the tune) or else pollsters would quickly go out of business.

Now let's examine the PLAIN LANGUAGE OF THE POLL to determine where the ambiguity lies.

QUESTION: Will Marner be traded THIS OFFSEASON.

Notice the clear intent. Focus on the two words "this offseason". Now. let's look at the wording of the "options".

Option 1: Yes, he will be moved. Pretty straightforward. A t 52.6% it's already the most popular opinion. Hang on, stay with me....

Option 3: No, and he will be re-signed.

At 17.7%. Again, pretty straightforward. These are the responders that are CLEARLY in favour of Marner staying.

Option 4: Yes, re-signed and moved. These people are CLEARY, like the ones who answered in favour of option 1, among those who want Marner OUT but want to try to get a better possible return.

Now we come to the "fudge factor" question, the question that, (judging by the comments on this thread as proof) caused the most confusion, that is the ambiguous option...

No, he will stay. It garnered 23.5% of responses..... the second most popular response. It wasn't worded "No he will stay this season to serve out the remainder of his contract and not be re-signed" as a specific, unambiguous option like the other 3 options were.. The language was left ambiguous ON PURPOSE so it could be spun as a win by the OP as supporting his side of the Marner argument which supports Marner staying. As a matter of fact, he tried to spin it as such in one of his responses but he fell flat because even without the support of his ambiguous question, HE LOST.

Now, go thru the comments on this thread as I did and watch the confusion on OPTION 2 on the votes by posters unsure where to cast their vote, and the vague canned response by OP... which was ALWAYS "Option 2".

Polls play you, everywhere, all the time, on any subject, folks.

Judging by the actual comments on this thread by posters' who voted for option 2 and couldn't or didn't change their vote I opine that around 75- 80% in fact want Marner GONE.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Not sure he would. Just stating the offer is Tkachuk plus a first.

The owner will be interested in making the playoffs.

Uhhhh Maple Leafs would be laughing hysterically if they got Tkatchuk 1 for 1... he's the better player and his cap hit is way better too.
If he is so good why do they suck?

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
If the question was should he be traded? I'd say yes, yesterday, please, thank you.

Will Marner be traded this off-season? I had to vote for no, man has NMC and an agent, hometown, god status, delusion that he might turn it around next playoffs and so on. On the other side of the equation is MLSE and I have even less faith in their process.

Sadly, I think he won't be traded. If anyone asks, I'll vote for trading his sorry ass any day.

The best part is the poll purposely asks if he'll be traded, not if you want to trade him. That was a smart move on behalf of his PR team.
BOOM!

Reactions: Arzak

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Rumors about locker room issues in Ottawa, would you guys do Marner for Tkachuk ? No idea if Marner would waive for Ottawa but it's an interesting option. Obviously a divisional rival so probably next to 0 percent chance Ottawa would consider trading their captain here.

But Toronto (fans) are fed up with Marner, if there actually is trouble in Ottawa and how some people are speculating, it's a core piece (Could be Brady) it's an interesting option.

Obviously I think this would be a win for Toronto, as he has the size, the nastiness and the physicality we are missing and can play the top line. Also is a typical Treliving type of player. Just curious to see what that rest of you guys think. If there is a chance he's available I think we should go all in.

Marner is elite in the regular season and plays all situations, his offence could help Ottawa get into the playoffs.
Ottawa is a great fit for Mitchy, and Tkachuk would be a nice piece for the Leafs, but he’s flawed. Maybe Berube could turn him into great player.
I wish Sanderson was available, he might be a good one in a few yrs.

Reactions: AvroArrow

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
In a heartbeat.
Brady's sick of the losing and the non-commitment to winning (aka cheap) ways in Ottawa, that's why he wants out. I'll take his "sore loser" ass on my team any day.

No one cares what Marner wants. But he will get the thing he values most. Early summer starts at the cottage.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
They don’t care now, I doubt they’ll care when they’re out of the league counting their benjamins……..
Teams like Tampa and Colorado had to take a step back to move forward.
We don’t even have a 1st next year. Not good for a team that needs that talent in the system to break through.
A 1st and a good 2C would be what I’m looking for. Lots of wingers UFA to compensate the immediate loss.
Then look at guys like Skjei, Theodore, Montour to remake the D.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Brady's sick of the losing and the non-commitment to winning (aka cheap) ways in Ottawa, that's why he wants out. I'll take his "sore loser" ass on my team any day.

No one cares what Marner wants. But he will get the thing he values most. Early summer starts at the cottage.
He might need to take a backseat to Trudeau as the God of ottawa though………

We don’t even have a 1st next year. Not good for a team that needs that talent in the system to break through.
A 1st and a good 2C would be what I’m looking for. Lots of wingers UFA to compensate the immediate loss.
At this point, I’m pretty sure I’ll never see another cup win for the Leafs, and that disappoints me less everyday……..

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
He might need to take a backseat to Trudeau as the God of ottawa though………

At this point, I’m pretty sure I’ll never see another cup win for the Leafs, and that disappoints me less everyday……..
We can get him his own political party as well in Ottawa and an entourage to take him to the games.
1717113947655.jpeg

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Just a small correction we also don’t have a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad