Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Question seemed pretty clear, what will the Team do? Has nothing to do with what individuals want, as mentioned, that has been and continues to be beaten to death.
Which is my point - several people are interpreting the results as though they were showing what posters think should be done, as opposed to what they think will be done.

There's also the issue of whether the people responded to the actual question or the perceived one.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Which is my point - several people are interpreting the results as though they were showing what posters felt should be done, as opposed to what they want to see done.

There's also the issue of whether the people responded to the actual question or the perceived one.
All we can do is ask the question. If some can't understand what the question asks that's on them.

It's neither of the bolded, has nothing to do with wants or feels. It's what they think the team/Marner will do.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He’s worth a fortune. He can keep his home and cottage. His career has maybe 10 years left? He has an entire lifetime after to live in Toronto. I’ll be shocked if he agrees to go to Ottawa.

Wouldn’t he rather go somewhere that he has a chance of winning if that’s his mindset?

I agree when you're a diehard Leafs fan then both Ottawa (Provincial arch rival) and Montreal (Original 6 rival) would be hard to join the other side.

Not sure winning is his highest priority, however he has an opportunity to go somewhere where he can get tax free State breaks which allows him to earn more take home money.

Not all current competitive teams would be able to fit his top 10 NHL cap hit and salary, while current rebuilding teams with lots of cap space and need a star attractions to drive revenue would be teams interested in adding Marner. IMO

Reactions: bax

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
True, but he grew up in the Toronto area and still lives there, wouldn’t be too big of an adjustment.
I grew up in Toronto and other than having to go to Ottawa for a few days here and there in the past, I never intend to go there again in my lifetime. The adjustment isn't huge if you are a raging Marxist

• Haha
Reactions: Arzak

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Ottawa is not a shithole. The organization is a joke and full of people who are as uninterested in winning as our Leafs, and the rink is on the outskirts of commuterville, but it's hardly a "shithole". You don't need to explain to me that Toronto has more of a nightlife, more Michelin starred restaurants, and more/hotter puck bunnies, but this is also the national capital and a big brand here will surely lead to plenty of opportunities after a career. Most people here are Leafs or Habs fans, there's not actually that many Sens fans so the typical Canadian media isn't even that rabid.

And at our level, it's actually a super nice place to live. I love it here.

My two cents aside, I'm going to go collect my check from Ottawa Tourism and spend it on a couple of cold beers for this afternoon on the patio. Please return to your regularly scheduled Ottawa bashing :laugh:

Reactions: William Johnson

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Frank Seravalli, is reporting that Mitch Marner is as good as gone this summer in Toronto.​

This past week, Seravalli put the likelihood of Marner returning to the Leafs at around 5%, suggesting that there's a 95% chance that Marner will be on the move this summer.

Seravalli is not the only Insider who has suggested that Marner has played his last game as a Maple Leaf. Others have suggested that even if Marner does return, he likely will not be extended by the Leafs and will hit free agency next summer.

Obviously, there's a lot that can happen over the course of a summer, but as Seravalli and Pagnotta have reported, we may have seen the last of Marner as a Leaf.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I grew up in Toronto and other than having to go to Ottawa for a few days here and there in the past, I never intend to go there again in my lifetime. The adjustment isn't huge if you are a raging Marxist
Hence the easy adjustment:cool:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Frank Seravalli, is reporting that Mitch Marner is as good as gone this summer in Toronto.​

This past week, Seravalli put the likelihood of Marner returning to the Leafs at around 5%, suggesting that there's a 95% chance that Marner will be on the move this summer.

Seravalli is not the only Insider who has suggested that Marner has played his last game as a Maple Leaf. Others have suggested that even if Marner does return, he likely will not be extended by the Leafs and will hit free agency next summer.

Obviously, there's a lot that can happen over the course of a summer, but as Seravalli and Pagnotta have reported, we may have seen the last of Marner as a Leaf.

Good news. After that PO performance and glove toss. Get outtta here.

Three billion dollar corporations own the Leafs. They cant figure out Leafs fans like players that play with edge and grit. They pushed NuHockey on us and we hate it mostly.

Crazy days we live in

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

What are they basing it on?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I agree when you're a diehard Leafs fan then both Ottawa (Provincial arch rival) and Montreal (Original 6 rival) would be hard to join the other side.

Not sure winning is his highest priority, however he has an opportunity to go somewhere where he can get tax free State breaks which allows him to earn more take home money.

Not all current competitive teams would be able to fit his top 10 NHL cap hit and salary, while current rebuilding teams with lots of cap space and need a star attractions to drive revenue would be teams interested in adding Marner. IMO
A couple from here and a couple from there. I think there are a few playoff clubs, top 12ish not the very best, who would move serious cap to accommodate. Then some others like Seattle perhaps because they were 100pts a couple of years ago, or Utah to add a marqee star, their problem being that Cooley and Keller are also dinky and I don't know that they would move Keller. Of course if all they want is to tear it up in the regular season for the time being, then maybe a smurf attack is fine. There are a bunch of others that would have some real interest but Marner wouldn't waive for.

I would say a Marner deal would be a bit like his UFA summer except the Leafs would need to restrict who is bidding for him to try to get the right competing destinations and keep the return reasonable. If they could get three that would be terrific but it might also be that Mitch agrees to the move but won't commit to an extension which would castrate the return. Too early to speculate with so many variables.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Where do you think he'll agree to go?
I have no idea, I just find the Ottawa angle hard to believe. I could see Chicago being very enticing for him or possibly Pittsburgh since he knows he'll maximize his next contract there. I'd prefer somewhere out west if he is going. I can't shake the feeling that he'll haunt us when he goes regardless of his past playoff performances. Maybe just the jaded Leafs fan in me lol

He's not going to do anything out of 'spite', that would be idiotic.
Agreed!

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
That was more a joke than a serious comment. Should have put an emoji at the end. If this scenario did happen and Ottawa won with Marner before the leafs that would be a tough one to endure for the leafs and fans.

To be fair it’s not like Marner has shown to be that smart lol
Fair enough, can never tell around here lol

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

if they let Marner walk for nothing next summer the whole lot of them should be fired and Johnny Mumbles should be the first out the door

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
if they let Marner walk for nothing next summer the whole lot of them should be fired and Johnny Mumbles should be the first out the door
They don't have a choice thanks to the NMC.

Unless you advocate negotiating with a shotgun to your head for a player most people are tired of.

On a slight side note.

"In a year when they needed him to deliver more than ever due to injuries to William Nylander and Auston Matthews, Marner got worse."

Sums up my feelings on Marner. Matthews won a big game, then got sick/hurt. Nylander was hurt. Marner needed to have a big series and he was absolutely the biggest factor in us losing. 1/7 games showed up on offence.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
That was more a joke than a serious comment. Should have put an emoji at the end. If this scenario did happen and Ottawa won with Marner before the leafs that would be a tough one to endure for the leafs and fans.

We recovered when Kessel won with Pittsburgh right after we traded him.

It might sting a bit more because it would be Ottawa. Not necessarily because Marner won it first. But either way I don't care what he does once he's gone or if he finally gets it right somewhere else regardless if it's Ottawa or anywhere else.

He's had more than enough chances to put it together here and hasn't.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
They don't have a choice thanks to the NMC.

Unless you advocate negotiating with a shotgun to your head for a player most people are tired of.

On a slight side note.

"In a year when they needed him to deliver more than ever due to injuries to William Nylander and Auston Matthews, Marner got worse."

Sums up my feelings on Marner. Matthews won a big game, then got sick/hurt. Nylander was hurt. Marner needed to have a big series and he was absolutely the biggest factor in us losing. 1/7 games showed up on offence.
if they don't have a choice to move him then you get him signed . you don't let a 90 plus point player walk for nothing !

Marner didn't have a good series but the biggest factor for us losing was Tavares who had another had poor playoff and dragged down whoever he played with .

Last edited:
Reactions: bax and fahad203

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
if they don't have a choice to move him then you get him signed . you don't let a 90 plus point player walk for nothing !

Marner didn't have a good series but the biggest factor for us losing was Tavares who another another poor playoff and dragged down whoever he played with .
Why is Marner not a bigger factor? Seems quite arbitrary. Marner is 27 after all and Tavares was expected to decline badly.

He's not a 90 point winger in the playoffs, it's simple as that.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Why is Marner not a bigger factor? Seems quite arbitrary. Marner is 27 after all and Tavares was expected to decline badly.

He's not a 90 point winger in the playoffs, it's simple as that.
because they both make the same salary and Tavares played worse and has played worse in every playoffs since he's been on the Leafs

is Panarin play also expected to drop off a cliff next year as well since he'll be Johnny's age or are these excuses just for Mumbles ?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
All we can do is ask the question. If some can't understand what the question asks that's on them.

It's neither of the bolded, has nothing to do with wants or feels. It's what they think the team/Marner will do.
I know that - I'm just pointing out that it seems to be what a lot of posters are doing.

Reactions: ACC1224

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
95/5 he's gone.
(my prediction).

Seravalli the scrub is stealing my content without proper attribution.

Respect the source.

== Edit ==

Looks like he beat me.

Dammit.

95% + chance Marner gets traded according to Seravalli (May 19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad