Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part X | Will Mitch get an OS?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Jeff Skinners contract is an albatross. We should not be comparing potential marner deals to some of the worst ones on the market. It's only 8m for 2 years.

After two years hes gonna want 13-15 million. Hes gonna say he already gave a discount and wants overpayment on his next deal. I'd rather 8 years 11 million than 2 years 8 mill

Not necessarily.

If the other RFA's sign for $9M and outperform Marner then he'll be lucky to sign an 8 year deal for $8-9M.

If Marner signs a 2x8, the better his RFA classmates do in comparison to Marner could actually negatively affect his value. If Marner wants $13-$15M, he would have to really outperform all the current RFA's. If a Point, Tkachuk or Aho burst out of the gate, then Marner better get his ass in gear and outscore them.

Edit: Also if Matthews plays a full season and puts up huge numbers, Marner is going to have a hard time demanding anything over or near his contract.

I'd gamble the 2x$8M

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Jeff Skinners contract is an albatross. We should not be comparing potential marner deals to some of the worst ones on the market. It's only 8m for 2 years.

After two years hes gonna want 13-15 million. Hes gonna say he already gave a discount and wants overpayment on his next deal. I'd rather 8 years 11 million than 2 years 8 mill
If it takes him past the next lockout, I'd be okay with it. The last few lockouts have given teams the ability to make adjustments; it's possible the Leafs could figure their salary structure out under the new CBA easier. Especially if the new CBA starts with another penalty-less buyout period, or drops salary like the 2004 one did.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Had similar productoin to Nylander before last year.
Yep, we're going to continue to pretend that Marner's 90 point season last year was entirely John Tavares, and without him Marner would have had the same point totals as Nylander...

I mean, Nylander had 60 points playing with Auston Matthews, and Marner had 70 points playing with Tyler Bozak and James Van Riemsdyk and Nazem Kadri and Leo Komarov, but let's keep pretending that they're identical players...

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

I'd rather 11M x 8 yrs. as well. Trouble is, if the contract is going to be 8M x 2 yrs., I don't see how max term works out to just 11M per.

Heisen

Mar 27, 2019
Matthews is leaving in 5 years anyways, not really concerned with term on anyone else anymore. It's blow up time in 4. With Reilly and Freddy next, we have 2 seasons to win the cup or bust

Reactions: dsred and thewave

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
I saw Mitch Marner in a grocery store in Toronto yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a *****e and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw Mitch trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen bags of skittles in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bags and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Yeah I'm gonna say this didn't happen.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Matthews is leaving in 5 years anyways, not really concerned with term on anyone else anymore. It's blow up time in 4. With Reilly and Freddy next, we have 2 seasons to win the cup or bust

The correct assessment of the situation.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
can you provide proof of this? or are you just making stuff up?

If you are planning this out. The assumption is and has to be the asset is leaving in 5. We have no rights to him, only an opportunity to offer him a deal that the new CBA will allow. So, default is he is leaving.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If you are planning this out. The assumption is and has to be the asset is leaving in 5. We have no rights to him, only an opportunity to offer him a deal that the new CBA will allow. So, default is he is leaving.

The only franchise player to leave his team in the cal era has been JT..... who left for the Leafs.

Most big named RFAs have only signed 5-6 years post ELC only a handful ever signed 7-8 year ones. Matthew's contract shouldn't be seen as any indication of what his future may hold

Reactions: stopclickbait

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007

I don't know you as poster, so I don't know if this is sarcasm or not. But the amount of nonsense this thread has come out with makes it quite difficult haha.

Reactions: WillNy29

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018

Damn this is a Antonio from Ajax kind of hot take wow

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

How is that the default? He wanted an 8 year term. I think Matthews cares about maximizing his earnings but there's no reason to think he'd leave a great organization that will almost certainly be able to offer more money than other franchises (assuming the new CBA keeps benefits for the original team as I would expect).

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The only franchise player to leave his team in the cal era has been JT..... who left for the Leafs.

Most big named RFAs have only signed 5-6 years post ELC only a handful ever signed 7-8 year ones. Matthew's contract shouldn't be seen as any indication of what his future may hold

Menzinger, the league literally just changed before our eyes. RFA are not discounted, a franchise player left. Look at other leagues, franchise players leave and the NHL is now there. If I had to bet, Matthews is leaving this town for money in 5.

Heisen

Mar 27, 2019
He's American and has more brand value in a handful of US cities, believe it or not. There's also the allure of going home, just like JT did. If you're not planning for this, yikes. No way am I buying a Matthews jersey.. unless I wanted to comically get in on the jersey burning videos I anticipate seeing 5 years from now.

If Dubas is wise, AM is traded after 2-3 more years, so there is still 2-3 years on his deal and we can get a great return. Not interested in rental level return, which is what he'll be if we hold on to him.

When Reilly's deal is up, we should be dealing Auston.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
Not necessarily.

If the other RFA's sign for $9M and outperform Marner then he'll be lucky to sign an 8 year deal for $8-9M.

If Marner signs a 2x8, the better his RFA classmates do in comparison to Marner could actually negatively affect his value. If Marner wants $13-$15M, he would have to really outperform all the current RFA's. If a Point, Tkachuk or Aho burst out of the gate, then Marner better get his ass in gear and outscore them.

Edit: Also if Matthews plays a full season and puts up huge numbers, Marner is going to have a hard time demanding anything over or near his contract.

I'd gamble the 2x$8M
I can't see this happening at all. We'll just have to buy more UFA years, which are more costly regardless of his production.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015

I see what ur saying. I think we have a bit longer than that. Till Mathews contract is done. Depending on how the future goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad