Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part X | Will Mitch get an OS?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Depends how much they are betting. If you're running a book, you rely on the dumb bets and guard against the smart betters.

The leafs were the odds on favorite to win the cup at some point last year. I don't think anyone had them as the top team in the league in terms of on ice.
Well, most had them top 2-3 in the conference if not the league in September, so not sure Vegas odds favouring them are out of this world crazy.
Stanley Cup predictions for 2018-19

omnicronx

Apr 5, 2012
You will need your own 2020 1st rd pick for most RFA offer sheets - its in carolina.
UFA they may be talking to some mid level guys- Big names(panarin/MD/Pavalski ) won't bother as leafs do not have the cap space to get them.

From my understanding that is not true on a top tier offer sheets. Its multiple picks in the same round which follow different rules. Where you must have the picks available in the next <amount of picks> + 1 year drafts to be eligible to make such an offer sheet.. So in this case next 4 of 5.

All 31 teams have the picks to make such an offer sheet.

Riellyfan04

Feb 25, 2010
Toronto On
do you all think dubas is taking offers on marner?? at this point if marner delays us more its gona cause use some good ufa signings..... i think its time to
just grow some balls dubas and trade him for dman... i am huge mitch fan but im sick and tired of his greedy ass.... lets move on

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
So Friedman thinks the Leafs have/will offer Marner 2x8.

Interesting. I think I’d want 3 years for 8M though
At least in this case you're still negotiating with 2 RFA years left on the next one. The "we will sit you at home until you sign" angle will work better if it's more than one year

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
I would probably go 2 yrs at 6M, that's it. I can't get my head around him earning only 1.5M less per year than both Stone and Kucherov on a 2 year term.
Exactly, that'll be brutal if Dubas agrees to it. And the way these contracts are headed we should be locking him up long term or he'll just ask for $15,16,17 million in 2 years.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008

I have not been a fan of Marner at all through these negotiations but if you can get 2x$8M, you get 'er done. I can live with that. I'd like 3 years too, but then I'd also like 4 and 5 but we have to be realistic. If Dubie can get 2x8, I'm a happy man with both him and Marner

Reactions: HomerJLeafs

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd do 3 x 7 as well.

Not comfortable about 3 years because then he can just go for arbitration, take a 1 year deal and head to UFA I believe.

Exactly, that'll be brutal if Dubas agrees to it. And the way these contracts are headed we should be locking him up long term or he'll just ask for $15,16,17 million in 2 years.

Yeah but Kessel's deal is done, helps kill dead space.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Trade him if he wants 2x8. That's worse than the Matthews deal. Marner is worth 1-1.5 million above 8 on a 8 year deal. Paying him 8 for the next 2 and probably 13-15 for the next 6 would he such a crap situation for the team. He isnt this good of a player. I wouldnt give anyone in the league a 2 year bridge for 8. You want a 2 year bridge than your making 50% of what you can expect on a 8 year deal. He should get 4.5-5.0 on a 2 year bridge.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Not a great deal at all, but may be one of the better of the "terrible" options available. Certainly gives the team more cap flexibility.

3 years would make that caphit much more palpable though

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I'm definitely interested in a bridge deal.

Gives us more room for improvements in the near future. His next extension could be under a new CBA. Tough to predict how that could alter things, but typically things keep getting worse for the players.

Raymondo316

Nov 11, 2007
Maidstone England
8 million a year for only 2 years would be a terrible deal. Just means we have to deal with this same shambles in 2 years time, but he will be demanding even more money.

I honestly think if Dubas agrees to a deal like that Marner will be traded before the deal is finished.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Trade him if he wants 2x8. That's worse than the Matthews deal. Marner is worth 1-1.5 million above 8 on a 8 year deal. Paying him 8 for the next 2 and probably 13-15 for the next 6 would he such a crap situation for the team. He isnt this good of a player. I wouldnt give anyone in the league a 2 year bridge for 8. You want a 2 year bridge than your making 50% of what you can expect on a 8 year deal. He should get 4.5-5.0 on a 2 year bridge.

:laugh:

Jeff Skinner just signed for 8x9. Market is changing. Marner is worth much more on an 8 year deal.

8M for potentially a 100pt player is a steal.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Not comfortable about 3 years because then he can just go for arbitration, take a 1 year deal and head to UFA I believe.

Yeah but Kessel's deal is done, helps kill dead space.

I'd give him 2 x 7 as a slight overpay just to kick the can down the road.

Reactions: Menzinger

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Marner just put up more points in a Leafs uniform than anyone since Sundin

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
:laugh:

Jeff Skinner just signed for 8x9. Market is changing. Marner is worth much more on an 8 year deal.

8M for potentially a 100pt player is a steal.
Jeff Skinners contract is an albatross. We should not be comparing potential marner deals to some of the worst ones on the market. It's only 8m for 2 years.

After two years hes gonna want 13-15 million. Hes gonna say he already gave a discount and wants overpayment on his next deal. I'd rather 8 years 11 million than 2 years 8 mill

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd give him 2 x 7 as a slight overpay just to kick the can down the road.

I wouldn't be thrilled, like I said, 6M x 2 years makes more sense, it is the bridge that Panarin just got. Scoring is up this year and obviously the cap. That being said, if you told me it could be a done deal today at something like 6.5M, I would say fine, let's do it.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I wouldn't be thrilled, like I said, 6M x 2 years makes more sense, it is the bridge that Panarin just got. Scoring is up this year and obviously the cap. That being said, if you told me it could be a done deal today at something like 6.5M, I would say fine, let's do it.

I agree.

I'd prefer 3 years if it's 7 million on a bridge, but honestly, the small overpay of 300k or so is worth ending the headaches.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I agree.

I'd prefer 3 years if it's 7 million on a bridge, but honestly, the small overpay of 300k or so is worth ending the headaches.

I don't think Marner would like the 6-6.75M offer on a 2 year. It just doesn't feel like he's gonna be happy without a stupid overpay which we can't do. We can afford to give him fair value.

Reactions: Superstar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad