Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part X | Will Mitch get an OS?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I love how that time frame got shorter each time lmao

MATTHEWS IS LEAVING IN 5!

WE BLOW THIS UP IN 4!

WE GOT 2 YRS TO WIN THE CUP!

lmao reminds me of Gob and the expensive suit frol Arrested Development (Google it if you havent seen it).

Do the math, it's a total core meltdown by year 5. Matthews and Nylander, Rielly and a new tender I imagine, Dermott or Lilj or Sandin will be entering RFA that has no discount under the assumption they are going to be great players. It's just the reality of it all and some can see it coming. No discounts with the batch of kids, sorry.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
The questionable part is how you think the cap will increase by 10 million over the next 2 years.
......I never said that.. ?

It will increase ~6-7 million though. Two offseasons from now will be huge for the cap.

You realize the cap doesn't have go up to resign Rielly and Andersen?

Reactions: stopclickbait

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I can't see this happening at all. We'll just have to buy more UFA years, which are more costly regardless of his production.

Oh shit!! Then we better trade him quick. Definitely don't want to pay any UFA years for anyone.

Unless you invent the fountain of youth, you're going to be paying for UFA years regardless.

If he bridges for two years, gets outperformed by current RFA's signing market-value contracts now which deflates his value - then we'd actually get more two more UFA years at a fair price compared to now.

A two-year bridge deal right now is a big gamble for Marner, he has to bet on himself and against the other RFA's. I'd happily take that gamble on a 2x$8M as the odds are in our favor as there are quite a few quality RFA's this year.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I'm tired of this marner situation. Move the hometown boy!
Life goes on

******ed how this is holding the leafs from actually improving the roster as keeping marner just makes things the same or worse

Marner is not holding the Leafs from making any trases or other signings...

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
I'm tired of this marner situation. Move the hometown boy!
Life goes on

******ed how this is holding the leafs from actually improving the roster as keeping marner just makes things the same or worse

Don't buy into the hype man. I'm in the middle for all of this and understand the process.

Reactions: Lauro

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Who is in the 4 year plan and project the cost. Lil and Sandin are projected top 4 but people want to sign Muzzin here. How about Rosen? What's happening? Who is core? Who is not. What is the cap you figure?

AMat 11.6
JT 11
MMar ____
WNyl 7
MRie ____
TDer ____
TLil ____
RSan ____
AJo ____
KKap ____
JBra ____
Freddy ____

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Trade him.
Do it, and do it before free agency.

Look for an elite D who is affordable + a pick back.

Tired of these young guys taking us to the cleaners without having won anything serious. No awards, no titles and not even 1 playoff round and this kid wants 11+x8? SCREW THAT

I have little faith that Dubas shares your sentiments. He's a feel good kinda GM. Aka soft. The complete polar opposite of Lou. And I don't like it.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Once again, this doesn't just apply to Marner but any RFA, but a question: If a team verbally agrees with Marner on an offer sheet can/would they contact Dubas and offer a trade instead (before the sheet is formally offered/signed and obviously only relevant if Toronto isn't going to match)? Would it make sense for either side?

I ask because it seems like a smart move. For one, gives Toronto a chance to get what they want back vs. the draft picks and for the signing team the same benefit (assuming they'd rather not give up 4 first rounders). Also serves to smooth things out a bit between the teams rather than just a straight up poaching of a star player.

An example might be the signing team offering a top-4 right shot d-man (on a good contract), a solid NHL-ready prospect and a first (or two) which Toronto may find more appealing than just picks as a team that's close to contending.

Just curious on the arguments for/against I haven't thought of.

Reactions: HR Pickens

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
What if Marner is fine with the money but only wants 5 years like Matthews/Nylander?

Then who gets the blame?

No one is to blame. Mitch will sign for short term and lower dollars.

This topic really doesn't require a million threads where the same thing is just said over and over. Dreger is talking out of his ass.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Once again, this doesn't just apply to Marner but any RFA, but a question: If a team verbally agrees with Marner on an offer sheet can/would they contact Dubas and offer a trade instead (before the sheet is formally offered/signed and obviously only relevant if Toronto isn't going to match)? Would it make sense for either side?

I ask because it seems like a smart move. For one, gives Toronto a chance to get what they want back vs. the draft picks and for the signing team the same benefit (assuming they'd rather not give up 4 first rounders). Also serves to smooth things out a bit between the teams rather than just a straight up poaching of a star player.

An example might be the signing team offering a top-4 right shot d-man (on a good contract), a solid NHL-ready prospect and a first (or two) which Toronto may find more appealing than just picks as a team that's close to contending.

Just curious on the arguments for/against I haven't thought of.

It's how the leafs got kessel

Agreed to an offer, but burke forced chiarelli's hand to trade him.. and we paid more than the offer sheet value which is why we couldn't draft dougie hamilton.

Teams should probably not offer sheet because of the disaster everyone almost had. Edmonton with the Vanek offer sheet... Calgary with the ROR offer sheet (this one still makes me laugh).... toronto losing seguin and hamilton.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
No teams are close with their Marner equivalents.

Don't understand the harsh scrutiny. It's like everyone signed team friendly deals and Marner's the only one left.

Reactions: dsred and Lauro

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Because he is an over bearing father living through his son's success.

I don't know if it's the success. He's talked about how much money he invested in Marner's training a few times. It's not uncommon in hockey, we've heard this story before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad