Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part X | Will Mitch get an OS?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No teams are close with their Marner equivalents.

Don't understand the harsh scrutiny. It's like everyone signed team friendly deals and Marner's the only one left.
It's because both sides have decided to play the media game, and it is fueling the fires. I feel it will all work out in the end, but obviously people are passionate. Fans is short for fanatics for a reason.

Reactions: GermanLeaf

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
At this point Dubas should offer $5 million for one year That would be triple what he earned last year.....let him prove he is worth the big money.....or $6 million got two years....or $7 for three years or sign an offer sheet or sit out......Leafs will make the playoffs without him. Marner and his agent were the ones who refused to negotiate last season..Mathews was willing and he got the money....its gone! Dubas emphasized he wanted to get Marner signed before July 1...they aren't willing to sign what Leafs can afford.....Leafs have to improve the TEAM.....Rielly and Andersen each make about $5 million! why does he think he is worth more than them? Tavares has padded stats for many wingers in the past!

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Bourne: Marner’s not leaving via offer sheet, buyer beware...
Mitch Marner isn’t going anywhere via an offer sheet

He’s just not. Sometimes we overthink the hell out of some of these contract disputes because of what players could do. He could sign an offer sheet to play for another team, he could get dealt, he could hold out for an extended period of time. He could also decide to become a hot-air balloon pilot and quit hockey forever, but he’s probably not gonna.

Here’s what I know: Marner isn’t stupid and he has a pretty good idea who butters his bread. And as much as this has been said, it maybe it hasn’t been said enough: Toronto is his Country Crock, it’s his Land O’ Lakes, his Tillamook. He’s not going anywhere by his own choice for an extra million or two a year. To close this opener as it began, he’s just not.

Say the Leafs are trying to give him $9.5 million by six years or something. Can you see any scenario where the Islanders (or whoever) offer him $11.5 by five-ish and Marner thinks that’s actually worth leaving for? Think beyond the business of picks for a sec. Think beyond the leverage factor provided by going on a couple of RFA visits, just think of it from a pure hockey-and-life-going-forward standpoint.

Is Marner really going to sign an offer sheet? He’s going to leave Toronto, a team universally accepted to be among the top tier of teams with a chance to win the Stanley Cup (where he plays nice minutes with great linemates and features as a star) purely for more short-term dollars, setting the bridge back to his home city aflame for the foreseeable future? He’s going to play for the Carolina Hurricanes (or whoever), and come back to Toronto and get booed a handful of times a year, with endorsements and signings around town totaling $600 in yearly revenue paid in Bass Pro Shops dollars?

I’m not trying to disparage any other NHL cities, there’s just no doubt it’d be different. Imagine the fear of leaving and Leafs actually winning the Cup without you and think about what could have been. There has to be a five to ten percent chance of that happening, no? This isn’t about this contract, this is about the rest of this guy’s life.
This is all about negotiation and the Leafs letting him go through this RFA song and dance is basically just calling his bluff and diminishing his leverage. That the Leafs have made some noise about potentially letting him walk if he does sign an offer sheet should be enough to put the fear of blowing all that into him. The Leafs just do not seem afraid that the player is dumb enough to forfeit the whole What Could Be scenario. He’s not walking away for what could be a couple million a year up front and a tarnished legacy at home. He’s just not.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It's because both sides have decided to play the media game, and it is fueling the fires. I feel it will all work out in the end, but obviously people are passionate. Fans is short for fanatics for a reason.

There's a lot of residual emotion left over from the Nylander and Matthews situations as well, people are just sick and tired of this **** and want it to end even if it may end up with something Ill advised

The negotiations running through the media don't help though, that's ratcheting this up to 11 and we haven't even hit July 1st yet, it makes Nylander's negotiations look like happy fun time in comparison and he was a gigantic pain in the ass to deal with

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Burke is a moron. He could've OSed Keesel for 1st, 2nd and 3rd instead he trades Boston 2 1sts and 2nds after forcing then to trade him. It was like a Looney Toons cartoon skit.

I don't know the whole story, like I said I herd it on Overdrive.

I assume the buyout thresholds change with the cap, so it was likely 4 1st round picks.

I'm not sure though.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I'm sorry, but if you're going to do that with the Leafs current roster, Marner is NOT the one to be doing this with...

A comment like this shows why that would be a possibility.

The better you think the player is the better the return for trading him.

That isn't what I want to see happen, but Leafs would get a great return.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
There's a lot of residual emotion left over from the Nylander and Matthews situations as well, people are just sick and tired of this **** and want it to end even if it may end up with something Ill advised

The negotiations running through the media don't help though, that's ratcheting this up to 11 and we haven't even hit July 1st yet, it makes Nylander's negotiations look like happy fun time in comparison and he was a gigantic pain in the ass to deal with

Honestly, nothing particularly weird or dramatic is happening though. If you aren't caught up in all the fan drama on a place like these boards, he's just an unsigned RFA going through a contract negotiation, just like all the other unsigned RFA's, and it isn't even July yet.

Riellyfan04

Feb 25, 2010
Toronto On
I'm sorry, but if you're going to do that with the Leafs current roster, Marner is NOT the one to be doing this with...
hes giving us no option. id rather do it to marner who fully showed his true colour than matthews, or nylander.... marner can get us the most return also

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I hope Duchene doesn't sign with Montreal lol

Leafs have had it too easy the past two years. Perhaps some heat might force them to play with more urgency night in and night out. You know make them gud pros. It might also force Dubas to get those moves to fix the D going.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Heard a clip of Nylander interview on the radio this morning. He was asked about the Marner negotiations and he basically said (paraphrasing) "it's only June, they have all summer, no worries".

Way to put your foot in your mouth Willie, good stuff. Keep talking and Dubas might re-think his promise to never trade you as long as he's the GM. :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Stamkos4life

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Honestly, nothing particularly weird or dramatic is happening though. If you aren't caught up in all the fan drama on a place like these boards, he's just an unsigned RFA going through a contract negotiation, just like all the other unsigned RFA's, and it isn't even July yet.

Accept his demands are insane and his agent is an a-hole. They were vocal as soon as AM signed and made it all about them. Good ole hometown boy Mitch Marner turns out to be a greedy jerk who makes his own comparables

Other camps are quiet as far as I can tell. Nylander camp was always quiet. It’s quite surprising how they’ve conducted themselves

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Exactly.
There have been some quality laughs in these many threads.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Trade him if he wants 2x8. That's worse than the Matthews deal. Marner is worth 1-1.5 million above 8 on a 8 year deal. Paying him 8 for the next 2 and probably 13-15 for the next 6 would he such a crap situation for the team. He isnt this good of a player. I wouldnt give anyone in the league a 2 year bridge for 8. You want a 2 year bridge than your making 50% of what you can expect on a 8 year deal. He should get 4.5-5.0 on a 2 year bridge.

Reactions: MyBudJT

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Not sure about 2, but I like 8x3. Sets us up with a nice 3 year window to after it with this core, then re-evaluate, pick two of Marner/Nylander/Kap to move forward with (still a great 1-2 punch), trade the other and re-tool.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

Hes not wrong. Endorsement dollars are real and in toronto he would get them well after he retires from hockey. In a non hockey city his endorsement dollars are going to be less both now and when he retires. I think this is a fact. Even someone like mcdavid who is the biggest and best is probably making less then he would if he was somewhere like toronto.

Obviously these arent reflected in a contract but they are real. It would be short sighted as mentioned in the article to draw line in sand over contract that is reduced union dues, agent fees, escrow and several other things. Endorsements are probably much more profitable in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad