Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VI | Marner Reportedly Turns Down 8 Year Term

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I don't believe a ounce of info that dreger says, but if it were true, a short term deal isn't terrible if it keeps Mitch as an RFA and drops the aav even slightly.

Im sure 5 years is a complete no-no from Toronto

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Wonder if Marner would agree to a deal like 3X8.

Absurdly high for a bridge, but gives the team and player a couple years to figure out if they can smooth things over on a long term deal. And also keeps Marner as an rfa so the Leafs could trade him still for assets if a third contract cant be worked out
Matthews reportedly turned down a deal of that length because the AAV would need to be higher given the risk the player is assuming. You have to figure Marner would do the same thing, although it's confusing that these RFAs consider short term too risky for low AAV, and long term problematic as the cap rises. Makes you wonder how the hell a deal is supposed to be struck.

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
If it ends up Marner vs JT + 4 1st rounders I will say we ended up a better team.

Cant believe it could come to this, imagine how Nylander feels. Got so much hate over holding out for like 500K extra and Mitch is asking for 12+ million and shopping himself to other teams... lol

These are actions of a selfish player - agent - group. Worse than Willy. The optics are awful.

If he needs to do this to prove his worth I hope there is nothing out there for him. If there is let him walk he clearly doesn’t want to be here. Money is all that matters. Take the 4 1st and kick the tires on a better player in Panarin?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
At the very moment when marner meets with another team, you let him go. trade him or grab the picks when hes offered sheet. marner was my fav player and that has changed now.

What if we traded him to Columbus for Werenski or Jones? They need to rebalance their forwards and we need defense. That would be fine. Then spend the cash savings

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
These are actions of a selfish player - agent - group. Worse than Willy. The optics are awful.

If he needs to do this to prove his worth I hope there is nothing out there for him. If there is let him walk he clearly doesn’t want to be here. Money is all that matters. Take the 4 1st and kick the tires on a better player in Panarin?
I agree, if what is being said is true he is being very selfish.

I would try to turn the picks+ in a defender who has a higher cap hit. Maybe sign a UFA or two as well.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
He simply is nowhere near as important as AM and if he thinks he is and wants to get paid like he is, pray for the 4 1st and get out while you can.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
I don't care how good Marner is I want him gone. Shopping yourself to other teams shows he is only committed to the almighty dollar and always will be. In hard cap world you can't win with those players. The best player in the league McDavid actually told Edmonton to lower his AAS to 12.5 from 13.5 so he wouldn't hurt the team as bad. Marner is only out for himself.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
If Marner meets with other clubs deal him. Enough of this shit. You can hold out and try to work out a deal with the club, but taking interviews with other teams like you're a UFA? Get a pile of assets in a deal and cut your losses. Meeting with other teams is disrespectful and shows he only cares for the money

Reactions: LeafSteel

stakesishigh

how swede it is
Jul 9, 2009
Toronto
It depresses the hell out of me that right when we're finally good for the first time in my lifetime we have the greediest stars in the universe.

I love Dubas but he's setting the new market standard every time he signs a player, it's brutal. Let the offer sheets come in for Marner. If the reports are accurate, he has far more interest in making money than winning hockey games.

Reactions: ashs

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
NHL players are looking at NBA players, who cash in on new deals every 2-5 seasons, and are looking to do the same.

NHL players should never try to compare themselves to the NBA players!

in basketball you can win a championship with 2 star players and decent filler ...if the leafs top 5 could play 40+ mins a night they would be on par with basketball

...imagine basketball where the top player only played 18 mins a game ...that would on par with 22.5 mins in nhl

then you need to account for the extra 24 mins in BB, vs 37.5 mins in hockey

a roster of 15 vs 23 ...and they had a soft cap of $109, and $132 luxury cap hard cap of $138
NHL is playing with 70% or 50% of the NBA salary cap with 35% more players to pay and fill out the roster, and on average 18 players hit the ice every night vs maybe 9-10 in basketball.

Reactions: Buds17

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
You cant enter another season with this sort of issue hanging over the teams head. If this is heading for another hold out then he needs to be dealt.

Reactions: ashs

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
It depresses the hell out of me that right when we're finally good for the first time in my lifetime we have the greediest stars in the universe.

I love Dubas but he's setting the new market standard every time he signs a player, it's brutal. Let the offer sheets come in for Marner. If the reports are accurate, he has far more interest in making money than winning hockey games.

Nylander got what i expected him to get 2 years ago ...i had the 3 projected at 7-8-9, but Mathews was just better that i ever imagined, and he could have signed max term at the higher cap hit, but, perhaps took the lower/shorter deal to accommodate a Marner deal, but, Marner seems like the only truly greedy one. (Nylander didnt go scope out an offer sheet did he)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If Marner does sign an offer sheet, I could see things getting really crazy. If I'm Dubas I probably say OK this relationship is obviously toast, so let's start planning for life after Marner. And that probably means not matching and instead, targeting one of the other clue chip RFA's out there and if that doesn't work, target the next one and by that time, the GM's across the NHL will probably have dropped the gloves.

Could be a "fun" summer. :laugh::laugh:

Seriously though, this is very sad stuff. I've known for a long time that it's a business but when it becomes something like 99% business instead of 80% business or whatever, I can see myself being less and less interested. I've always been a Leaf fan as long as I can remember but if this nonsense goes on, I can see a time coming when I care a lot less about this team then I do now. :(

Reactions: dsred

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
We should never wish for something like that.

I do hope, if we ever win the cup, the parade stops by the home of Marner though :D

he was invisible the last 4 games in the Boston Series ...one even decent game from him, and the B's were eliminated

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
he was invisible the last 4 games in the Boston Series ...one even decent game from him, and the B's were eliminated
I know, at least Matthews stepped up this playoffs. Not going to lie, I would love for Marner to sign at a reasonable price for a long term, but if he insists on visiting other teams, you really should pull the trigger and move on from him. Like I said earlier, it used to be an honour to wear this jersey. Take it or leave it.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
If Marner does sign an offer sheet, I could see things getting really crazy. If I'm Dubas I probably say OK this relationship is obviously toast, so let's start planning for life after Marner. And that probably means not matching and instead, targeting one of the other clue chip RFA's out there and if that doesn't work, target the next one and by that time, the GM's across the NHL will probably have dropped the gloves.

Could be a "fun" summer. :laugh::laugh:

Seriously though, this is very sad stuff. I've known for a long time that it's a business but when it becomes something like 99% business instead of 80% business or whatever, I can see myself being less and less interested. I've always been a Leaf fan as long as I can remember but if this nonsense goes on, I can see a time coming when I care a lot less about this team then I do now. :(

We're heading towards another lock-out it seems

Reactions: BeSeeingYouSeattle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad